Horseradish Tee Nai

bkkjames

Hi all:

Am looking to procure some real horseradish in Bangkok but have only come across one jarred variety in Bangkok (smallish bottle, red top) and needless to say it has the same wow factor as wasabi without the nasal rush.

I think I got it at tops but would appreciate if anyone has seen the 'real' stuff elsewhere?

Thanks

Hi all:

Am looking to procure some real horseradish in Bangkok but have only come across one jarred variety in Bangkok (smallish bottle, red top) and needless to say it has the same wow factor as wasabi without the nasal rush.

I think I got it at tops but would appreciate if anyone has seen the 'real' stuff elsewhere?

Thanks

TOPS jarred variety, never ever saw the real roots.....if it's not strong enough prep it up with some wasabi powder.... :o

Edited by Samuian

Same small red-topped jar in Korat. Makes great chip dip mixed into 8 oz cream cheese, 8 oz sour cream, a teaspoon of dried dill, a couple minced cloves of garlic, and half a teaspoon of celery salt. Add milk as needed to thin to desired consistency.

Same small red-topped jar in Korat. Makes great chip dip mixed into 8 oz cream cheese, 8 oz sour cream, a teaspoon of dried dill, a couple minced cloves of garlic, and half a teaspoon of celery salt. Add milk as needed to thin to desired consistency.

Doesn't sound like you are on a diet.... :o

Not gonna take that bate on your comment Samuian :D , but have you looked at the contents of the bottle, more preservatives than horseradish.

Not gonna take that bate on your comment Samuian :D , but have you looked at the contents of the bottle, more preservatives than horseradish.

Well, good boy you are, yes sorry, but this seems to be case with many "preserves" guess the additives is what "preserves" the stuff!

I pop into TOPS and check them out, if it contains same amount of chemicals, usually it's sulfur something and ascorbic acid...I thought they had the "Hengstenberg" Brand there..

Horseradish tends to 'blacken', some oxidization process, after it has been grated, that is why!

Like apples or bananas!

hmmm... guess have to find someone who brings some fresh roots of the stuff, and then growing it here, may do well upcountry, north!

Had, of course some in my garden in Bavaria, but that is some time ago...it thrives in rich, but sandy soil, it doesn't like heavy clay soil though.

Hi all:

Thanks

Pretty sure I saw some at Makro on Narathiwas (Sathorn area) - but, I'd have to check again to be sure. Great store, regardless.

I haven't go checked but thought you may find it Tee nii --->> Villa Market or Carrefour Rama4Rd.

I enjoyed cooking longgg...time ago, usually go find ingredients in Villa Market,

This got much more products both import and produced here than other supermarkets.

But it's not the same in each branches, should try Sukhumvit 33/1 Br and Sukhumvit 49.

For Carrefour, only Rama4 Rd. that you should try.

I haven't go checked but thought you may find it Tee nii --->> Villa Market or Carrefour Rama4Rd.

I enjoyed cooking longgg...time ago, usually go find ingredients in Villa Market,

This got much more products both import and produced here than other supermarkets.

But it's not the same in each branches, should try Sukhumvit 33/1 Br and Sukhumvit 49.

Thank you Midori San or should I say yoda? Will give a look to Villa next time I can and report back the findings I will.

Thank you Midori San or should I say yoda? Will give a look to Villa next time I can and report back the findings I will.

Hey..I am Thai, MidoriApple is because I really love eating green apple,

to eat fresh, eat in chips, made pies..any kind...I really love it

the grannysmith is my favorite...

But I don't think to use GrannySmith as my username, otherwise you will call me 'Granny', I AM NOT THAT OLD... :o

Well, to call Midori is fine, pretty name as well.

Back to horseradish, I am now pretty sure you can find it in Villa Market, just go check and pls report me..

Is it also hardly find in your country?

I once got one with root, my landlady planted herself at the backyard.

She gave me to use in school, friends seemed a bit surprised that I could have it.

Hey..I am Thai, MidoriApple is because I really love eating green apple,

to eat fresh, eat in chips, made pies..any kind...I really love it

the grannysmith is my favorite...

But I don't think to use GrannySmith as my username, otherwise you will call me 'Granny', I AM NOT THAT OLD... :o

Well, to call Midori is fine, pretty name as well.

Back to horseradish, I am now pretty sure you can find it in Villa Market, just go check and pls report me..

Is it also hardly find in your country?

I once got one with root, my landlady planted herself at the backyard.

She gave me to use in school, friends seemed a bit surprised that I could have it.

Ok Midori Ja it is.

For your first question, we have it readily available back home but unfortuneately the fact that I live kinda puts a damper on that.

Regarding your second point, if you showed up at my school with a horseradish roots, I too may be a bit surprised. :D

I only dip chips (crisps to non-Yanks) into the stuff, I don't spoon it down. :D The more health-conscious may prefer to serve it with fresh veggies.

James, I know you may not be looking for this particular one, but in case others are....

I noticed today that Food by Phone is offering the jars of prepared horseradish for sale in their supermarket delivery section... 84 baht for the jar... (plus delivery charge for whatever you order)...

http://www.foodbyphone.com/restaurant.asp?i=39

post-53787-1224855843.jpg

James, I know you may not be looking for this particular one, but in case others are....

I noticed today that Food by Phone is offering the jars of prepared horseradish for sale in their supermarket delivery section... 84 baht for the jar... (plus delivery charge for whatever you order)...

http://www.foodbyphone.com/restaurant.asp?i=39

post-53787-1224855843.jpg

Hi JFC, thanks for that. It's the one I have and I must say while it does resemble horseradish, it lacks the ZING.

Cheers

James

Hi all:

Thanks

As a matter of fact I just packed one in my bag. I hope someone spots the stuff in Thailand, that will be one less thing I have to carry back every year.