Bulk Scanning On The Cheap In Cm (tip)

lifemagic

I posted ages ago about a box of photos I needed to archive, to find the cheapest place I could do it myself. Thanks for the replies. I did go looking up by the university as recommended but couldn't get the place I was hoping for.

So I basically asked everywhere. Just incase someone else needs the info.

Generally photo shops are cheaper than cybercafes. In Kad Sean Kew, if you enter the basement via KFC and keep walking, you go past a mobile shop on the right, then a chemist, then an exit with taxis outside... just keep walking with the exit to your right, past a line of atms and you come to a photo place, with computers outside and a sign saying 'no internet' (as the computers are only for photo stuff). The price there was three baht per picture, they do it for you and no minimum.

I didn't use that place. The best deal I got (and used) was a place ironically a two minute walk from where I live. I don't know the name of the street but it's the same street in Thaepae as Chiang Mai Saloon, New Delhi Restaurant and The Wall restaurant. If you start of by the moat and walk up it towards Chiang Mai Saloon. Just before you get there, on the left, there's a slightly rustic looking place. I think it's called Hopf and is a coffeeshop also? The standard price there was 10 baht, but for bulk (more than 100 doing it yourself) he gave me two baht per picture. It's not a high quality scanner, but that's a saving of 800 baht per 100 scans (I did about 400), plus they're honest, the software was easy enough, it's a/c, there's a toilet.

So... after my extensive legwork, just in case anyone needs it, it is (I believe) the cheapest scanning in CM.

In a couple a photo shops they also are offering to scan negatives. What sense does it make to scan a negative? Is it possible to create from a scanned negative a real photo?

And if yes, how is the quality?

Yes - Photoshop & some other similar software will allow you to make a positive image from the negative. The quality of the positive image on screen will be as good as the original negative allows. Same applies to printing that image - and the result will then also depend on the resolution and capability/quality of the printer.

If you can scan your negatives with a "film" scanner and not a flat bed scanner with a film adapter, you will get better prints. However, you need to know what you're doing, and some negatives may not scan as well as a print from a negative, such as negatives that are over exposed or under exposed. It can also be quicker to scan negatives but again it depends on what type of scanner you are using. You may be able to find a good used film however, they are probably selling because the maker is longer updating the drivers.

Thanks for the tip, lifemagic. I have a box of 35-mm slides I'd like to turn into jpegs. Do you think the shop you mentioned would be able to help me? These are fairly high quality slides and I'd like to turn them into something good enough for large-group PowerPoint presentations.

We're not in CM quite yet, but I don't want to haul my ancient Kodak slide projector with us. It's bad enough to bring the slides, but at least those can be mailed over. Besides, it's time I joined the 21st century and stopped doing slide presentations, espcially since all the photos we're taking are digital now.

35 mm functionality has been around for decades on many scanners. depends what hardware they have:

http://www.nextag.com/Computers--a-Scanner...000zB6z5---html

What i would love to find is a studio that will photograph 350+ (small) items with proper lighting, and background, ready for websites/ebay.

Of course i could do it myself, but im pretty sure its going to be quite a learning curve, as i need total clarity, for white objects on a white background. Ive heard a yellow lightbulb is the key, thats as far as ive got...

Edited by UKWEBPRO

"Photoshop & some other similar software will allow you to make a positive image from the negative"

As far as I know Photoshop is a very expensive software. As it is directed to professionals, it will certainly cost hundreds dollars or more at least.

Is there any freeware or shareware around, which serve the same purpose?

Modern scanners will scan negatives and produce a positive. They can be VERY high quality = large file size.

Definitely the way to go to get photos into a digital format. No need for photoshop..

kilt

In a couple a photo shops they also are offering to scan negatives. What sense does it make to scan a negative? Is it possible to create from a scanned negative a real photo?

And if yes, how is the quality?

"Photoshop & some other similar software will allow you to make a positive image from the negative"

As far as I know Photoshop is a very expensive software. As it is directed to professionals, it will certainly cost hundreds dollars or more at least.

Is there any freeware or shareware around, which serve the same purpose?

Irfanview is freeware and will also process negative to positive and vice versa - as well as providing most of the usual functions of paid-for image-handling software. Google it and download it.

Given that this is not CM-specific, anyone interested further in this aspect can get a lot more help/advice on either the "Photography" or "Internet etc...." sub-forum.

thx steve

to make this topic more Chiang Mai specific. Are there any places in C.M. where this job will be done with good quality and price?

Try Photo Bug near Mikes Hamburgers at Thapae Gate for slide or negative scanning. Some CPMG members have had good results there but get them to try a few first to see if it matches your expectations.

I've seen those $100 scanners on the internet and don't know if they're going to make a scan that has sufficient resolution for large illustrations. I know there's a big difference in quality requirements for website illustrations vs. huge illustrations, like billboards or something.

I'm not a professional photographer, just someone who gives talks to groups and needs good quality slide illustrations. So, what do I ask for when I go to one of the photo shops mentioned here to check out pricing for scanning my 35 mm slides? Once I get them all scanned, I won't have any other use for a scanner so it might make more sense to have a photo shop do it vs. buying a scanner, especially if I need quality that a $100 scanner can't deliver.