Convince Me To Teach In Thailand.

rakyumyum

I've completed a TEFL (A grade) and am considering actually doing it. I don't need to work but am interested in it and feel it could be deeply satisfying. The one thing holding me back is that it would be dealing Thai admin, Thai teachers, Thai bosses etc. on a daily basis. Which I feel would probably sap all the satisfaction I'd recieve from teaching the kids pretty quickly.

Does having to deal with the above bring you down?

cause you frustration?

Or have you found ways to deal with it?

Thanks.

I don't know what to tell you. Are you the sort of person who is easily frustrated and let's that bring you down, or can you deal with life's little challenges by laughing and having a positive outlook? I don't think anyone can really answer this question for you- you have to see for yourself.

I do have to work, but I don't have to work here- I choose to.

Sometimes the kids can be pretty sapping too. Again, it all depends on your outlook. Personally, I find the satisfaction far outweighs any frustration, but that's me not you.

To the opening poster: how long have you been living in Thailand? Do you find Thai people exasperating? Then, do not teach in Thailand, unless you are qualified to teach international school students. But if you merely have reasonable reservations, screen the school's admin during the interviews. I interviewed with an anti-governmental American who kept telling them he hated to work for the govt. They could not convince him, and I later saw him working at a language centre. I was very frustrated at the seemingly imbecilic Thai administrators who managed the schools I taught at. However, many of my associates are happy with reasonable admins here.

As jbowman just wrote, search the threads here and you may find one that was started by Ijustwannateach or me, listing the things YOU should ask during an interview, even when they first phone you for an interview. IJWT's list was unrealistic, IMHO. The best clue is that you ask an important, pertinent question about the job, and get no answer, a wrong answer, or an evasive answer. At that point, say your mother is dying and you must prepare her funeral, and leave quickly. Or if they say up front that they will not help with a work permit or visa - or obviously do not know the first thing about managing farang - leave.

Ok, thanks, will take it on board.

The best clue is that you ask an important, pertinent question about the job, and get no answer, a wrong answer, or an evasive answer.

That can work, but sometimes their incompetence doesn't shine through from an interview with them.

For example I helped out at a school's halloween camp last week. The admin seemed quite competent and was good at giving straight answers.

They asked me to do a trick or treat activity. 6 year olds. 8 groups of 10 students. 1 group at a time.

I told them I needed 80 blank (photocopied) masks for the Ss to colour and wear, 80 paper bags, and a big box of candy - maybe 800 pieces inside in it.

No problem. I gave them the print out of the mask I wanted to copy, the list of what was needed and off they went.

Went to the camp and they told me everything was ready and waiting, we went into the class - 10 copies of the mask, a 20 pack of plastic bags, and a packet of 50 sweets.

After the first group the masks were already coloured, and after the 5th group there wasn't any candy left to give out. The first 5 groups were given ONE piece of candy each, in a plastic bag that they had to return so we could give it to the next group.

Now I'm not retarded and can be trusted to make a list of what I need for such an activity without it being altered and changed without my knowledge.

I'd love to teach here, but dealing with such (Thai incompetence) issues on a daily basis... I don't know if it would be worth it.

I've completed a TEFL (A grade) and am considering actually doing it. I don't need to work but am interested in it and feel it could be deeply satisfying. The one thing holding me back is that it would be dealing Thai admin, Thai teachers, Thai bosses etc. on a daily basis. Which I feel would probably sap all the satisfaction I'd recieve from teaching the kids pretty quickly.

Does having to deal with the above bring you down?

cause you frustration?

Or have you found ways to deal with it?

Thanks.

The answer is yes to all 3 questions. Dealing with Thai's and even worse, farangs trying to be Thai's, does in a way bring you down and gets frustrating because it is sad to see. You can deal with it by ignoring it or by using the face saving device to your advantage.

I taught there for a while I'd have to say despite the downfalls, I'd think I'd consider doing it again. I aks myself, if I want to teach, where would I want to teach? It would not be in the West, so Thailand would not be a bad place to have a crack IMHO.

Ok, thanks, will take it on board.
The best clue is that you ask an important, pertinent question about the job, and get no answer, a wrong answer, or an evasive answer.

That can work, but sometimes their incompetence doesn't shine through from an interview with them.

For example I helped out at a school's halloween camp last week. The admin seemed quite competent and was good at giving straight answers.

They asked me to do a trick or treat activity. 6 year olds. 8 groups of 10 students. 1 group at a time.

I told them I needed 80 blank (photocopied) masks for the Ss to colour and wear, 80 paper bags, and a big box of candy - maybe 800 pieces inside in it.

No problem. I gave them the print out of the mask I wanted to copy, the list of what was needed and off they went.

Went to the camp and they told me everything was ready and waiting, we went into the class - 10 copies of the mask, a 20 pack of plastic bags, and a packet of 50 sweets.

After the first group the masks were already coloured, and after the 5th group there wasn't any candy left to give out. The first 5 groups were given ONE piece of candy each, in a plastic bag that they had to return so we could give it to the next group.

Now I'm not retarded and can be trusted to make a list of what I need for such an activity without it being altered and changed without my knowledge.

I'd love to teach here, but dealing with such (Thai incompetence) issues on a daily basis... I don't know if it would be worth it.

As others have mentioned, your opening line and OP may be saying that you may not have the temperament to deal with the challenges of teaching. Thais are generally very flexible... I'd imagine that the kids went with the flow in this situation and I find that the kids here are much more able to deal with last minute changes than Western kids.

There are a multitude of reasons that things could have gone wrong in your situation. The copier broke, or someone's 'alotted' amount of copies was used up, maybe there was no budget for the activity, or not enough of one, or it could have been a miscommunication further down the line. A demo lesson puts you at a disadvantage versus working for a school when you can ask for your copies a day early (or do them yourself), check ahead to see if you have what you need and failing all that, have a few activities that you can do as a backup.

A similar thing happened to me in a demo lesson; the kids had no pencils! Yes, I did ask for them, no, they did not appear on the day promised. In hindsight, I realize that I should have brought them and asked to be reimbursed. Most of the time, I've been reimbursed and the few times I wasn't I just let the kids borrow the supplies and then kept them for a rainy day. I also tend to spend out of my own pocket (as many teachers worldwide do) and have a set of supplies and things that I can take into a job. This is helpful because you don't have to explain why you need something to get it and you know that you'll have it in the future.

Didn't you answer your own question? You did a one day thing and it was an issue for you!

LOL- The situation you describe at the camp is pretty typical I think. If you want to survive happily in those situations you have to be pretty hard to faze (phaze?), very resourceful and able to change tack at a moments notice (all hallmarks of a good teacher) - many teachers here are good enough/ confident enough that they can do this without a moments thought- (sadly I'm not one of them) but here comes your stress. This kind of thing has happened to me before too, but you learn to expect it, so then you don't get stressed because you have a contingency plan. It's all about making sure sure you are in control whatever they throw at you. (Or fail to provide). I've always found camps about 5 times as stressful as the classroom. I have personal experience of being told to speak to a hall of 500 parents for 10 minutes with only 2 minutes warning. My stress levels went through the roof, but I'm still breathing.

You should bear in mind that when you're teaching in a school environment (as opposed to camps) the set-up is different, the organisation is better (hopefully), and you are much more in control.

Aussiestyle's point about farangs trying to be Thai is very valid. Bear in mind; these guys, if they're administrators, are at the sharp end of liaising between the management and the foreign teachers. They are putting up with the stuff you mention on a daily basis. The only way they can stop going mad is to change the system (yeah right) or adapt and behave more like the Thai's themselves. As in 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em"

I've been coordinating here for 5 years but I have to say the foreign teachers cause me easily just as much stress as the administration. As Aussiestyle says it is manageable; and I teach here- I wouldn't for one second think of teaching in the UK or America.

It comes down to your personality/ skills and it's by no means impossible- but PeaceBlondie's question is important- If Thai people stress you out, then maybe it's not for you. If you thrive on being handed difficult situations then jump in, welcome aboard. :o

You cannot usually expect a new school to provide literally hundreds of resource items for a single day's lessons for one teacher. And yes, you may be called upon, worldwide, do teach impromptu, especially when one of your Thai coworkers has just been suspended for slapping her ex-husband on campus. And then one of her students starts undressing in class....

You cannot usually expect a new school to provide literally hundreds of resource items for a single day's lessons for one teacher. And yes, you may be called upon, worldwide, do teach impromptu, especially when one of your Thai coworkers has just been suspended for slapping her ex-husband on campus. And then one of her students starts undressing in class....

Teaching is a job that is rarely dull. :o

Sorry for the confusion. It wasn't a demo. It was part of a 4 day camp they were doing full-time.

From reading some of your experiences it sounds like teaching in Thailand is a nightmare due to the sheer level of Thai incompetence. I think I'll leave it to ye.

Thanks.