Meeting The Parents

pk59

How long after meeting GF did you meet parents and/or kids  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I will be returning to Thailand early in 2005, and I intend on staying for at least a year. I met a lovely TG, shortly before returning home earlier this year, and we have been keeping in touch by phone and email. IF things work out I know I will have to meet the family. I already met her aunt, it was at the start of our first date when she came along as a chaperone.

When did you meet your GF or wife's family? Is it better to meet them earlier in the relationship or later?

Thanks

Just over a year to meet my husbands mum & aunts, we were busy working & living in the south & he is from Khon Kaen, so not convient to travel. Spoke to them lots on the phone though & they knew about me very early on. He met my family after 3 years together, when we moved to the UK & lived in my mums house for 3 weeks while we got settled, poor sod! :o

poolcleaner 

18 months into the relationship and the mother-in-law is living with me

Yep I know. You think I'm stupid

I just got a big heart

Not stupid poolcleaner, how can your wife be happy if her mums alone :o

I met my wifes mother fairly quick. When i met my wife I told her I was

broke and kicked out of the US etc etc (SOB story I invented to weed out

the gold/greencard diggers).

Anyways she had my wife tell me to pick up and carry this huge bag of rice

around the yard for a bit. I thought it was some weird tradition. Later she

offered me a job on her farm. :o

a lot of girls will wait a fair while before asking you to meet ma and pa.

It's usually as pnustedt said. They don't want to lose face if the relationship doesn't progress.

Arriving in the village with a farang usually means one thing ...... MARRIAGE.!

She doesn't want to lose face and maybe it has happened before. :o

When did you meet your GF or wife's family?

For me, the first meet was a little over 6 months, but that was more because of distance limitations than anything.

Is it better to meet them earlier in the relationship or later?

There is no better or worse here. You and her and her family will figure out when the time is right, and then you just make it happen.

Be polite, show respect and no PDA's and you will be fine.

I found this link to be pretty accurate with respect to what to expect on a first visit (if it is not in the big city).

Good luck!

I cannot answer the poll because after two years married I still have not met the family, any of them.

Reason being... wifes parents are divorced and wife has disowned the father and rarely ever sees her mother. She was brought up by a rich lady who kind of adopted her and her brother. The lady she calls grandmum. Grandmum got angry at her marrying a ferang and immediately signed over her 5 houses to the brother, in case I was after 'her' money! My wife had told grandmum that I was not rich, only comfortable, which is true. Told her also that I do not own a house... hence the houses to the brother. Grandmum sent the kids to university and my wife got a job in BKK for a big furniture company as furniture/interior designer. She lived in BKK for 12 years and grandmum did not like this, or like her marrying a farang, she wanted my wife to live with her, look after her and stay with her. My wife vistis grandmum each time we go to Thailand, but I stay in Phuket or Samui and my wife joins me after a week or so. She does not want me to meet grandmum as grandmum will feel some shame as we were not married in the village and did not have a traditional Thai wedding. Also the fact that grandmum will be even less happy if she saw that I was 20 years older than my wife.

My wife sends 50 Euro a month to grandmum, of the 200 I give her to put in her bank account, to show her appreciation of all grandmum has done for her and says she also wants grandmum to love her. Grandmum loves money.

Sceptics may say I am being conned. If so, I married the greatest actress in the world and fell for the biggest scam of my life.  :o

Some of the farang clowns spend more than that on the way to Western Union to remit. :D

Met, the dragon(mother-in-law) same time i met my wife. She was a chaperone when i came to the airport. Mum and dad never had any problems with their daughter marrying a farang.She sure is a bossy so and so though, living with us now . Everyday is a battle as she tries to control my daughter's upbringing as well and i have to put my foot down . I guess it is a sacrifice we make and a different culture. Still, would love to throttle the old battleaxe :o

Met, the dragon(mother-in-law) same time i met my wife. She was a chaperone when i came to the airport. Mum and dad never had any problems with their daughter marrying a farang.She sure is a bossy so and so though, living with us now . Everyday is a battle as she tries to control my daughter's upbringing as well and i have to put my foot down . I guess it is a sacrifice we make and a different culture. Still, would love to throttle the old battleaxe :D

Geez torana , it's bad enough to have an interfering m-i-l , to have her living with you!!!!!!!!

You must have jai dee mak mak. :o

Rather you than me, mate.......

Good luck :D