Voip Providers

CBRSamui

I use mouthmun and totnetcall, but neither provide an incoming number if you need that. Totnetcall has been more reliable for me, and it's much cheaper for thai calls. Mouthmun is slightly cheaper for international. I've used both services with softphones and ATAs.

Dear Vaizer,

Thanks for this information.

Re Mouthmum, I notice their website says free pc to pc calls, guess this includes notebooks.

But here's my situation, I have a house at Jomtien beach in Pattaya, the telephone landline was disconnected becaused old tenant didn't pay the bill and no lines are currently available for at least one more year. Therefore new tenant is using satellite phone, IPSTAR internet service and Skype, all to get free international Skype calls (mostly to UK). All of this costing between 3,000 to 9,000Baht a month

I've been trying to find out whether internet service through a mobile phone would work to support Skype, but everybody tells me internet through a mobile is not robust enough to make Skype work.

Would this be the same with Mouthmum?

Appreciate your comments.

I've been trying to find out whether internet service through a mobile phone would work to support Skype, but everybody tells me internet through a mobile is not robust enough to make Skype work.

Would this be the same with Mouthmum?

The main problem with cell phone connections and satellite connections is not the amount of data they handle, but the latency (delay). I've used satellite in the US with mediocre results. I haven't used satellite or cell phone data connections in thailand for skype or voip so i can't comment. both use about the same amount of traffi, skype a little more, but if skype is having issues than standard voip (called SIP) will have problems too.

As for mouthmun's free pc to pc, i personally would ignore it. All voip providers talk about it but it's not that useful. If you want to do pc-to-pc, use something with better quality like skype.

• 2 years later...

Therefore new tenant is using satellite phone, IPSTAR internet service and Skype, all to get free international Skype calls (mostly to UK). All of this costing between 3,000 to 9,000Baht a month

Wow! Rather him than me. Not exactly "free" either.

I would investigate 3G or that wifi service that is transmitted from the top of Jomtien Complex or somewhere around there. Either will cost many times less than a satellite service and will probably work far better.

And for that price I would have thought that you/he could just use a mobile phone on a cheap tariff, or a mobile phone using VOIP callback.

I'm looking for VOIP in Thailand that can supply me with a Thai number.

I'm curious as to why? Are you expecting to get many calls from within Thailand? In that case why not use a mobile number like everyone else?

If you are getting calls from outside Thailand (as I do) then you probably would do better with a VOIP-in number that is located in the country where most of your contacts are, in order to keep costs down for them. I have several in three different countries.