In Uk On Settlement Visa

My partner and our two children are here on settlement visas which run out next August. We plan to stay in the UK for around a year beyond that date before returning to Thailand, but that is not written in stone and it could be longer.

I was under the impression that my wife should be studying UK life skills now (her English is not strong), but she has been refused the opportunity to join the course as she doesn't meet the college's criteria (resident in the UK for three years or registered marriage of at least one year to a British citizen).

She does not have the English skills needed for the citizenship test (we communicate in Thai) so that is not an option.

Can anyone suggest a possible course of action for us?

Thanks.

My partner and our two children are here on settlement visas which run out next August. We plan to stay in the UK for around a year beyond that date before returning to Thailand, but that is not written in stone and it could be longer.

I was under the impression that my wife should be studying UK life skills now (her English is not strong), but she has been refused the opportunity to join the course as she doesn't meet the college's criteria (resident in the UK for three years or registered marriage of at least one year to a British citizen).

She does not have the English skills needed for the citizenship test (we communicate in Thai) so that is not an option.

Thanks.

Amazing my wife enrolled on an ESOL course without any problems i would make further enquiries regarding this, we had not even married then.

What she could also do is apply again for FLR, once she has moved up an esol level she will qualify for ILR.

ESOL

If you do not have English skills at ESOL Entry 3 or above, you need to take an ESOL course to demonstrate your knowledge of language and life in the United Kingdom.

You must take a course which includes citizenship materials. The course will allow you to gain sufficient knowledge of the United Kingdom at the same time as developing your knowledge of the English language. Before you apply for citizenship, you will need to show that you have moved up from one ESOL level to the next. You will need to provide evidence of this as part of your application.

I was under the impression that my wife should be studying UK life skills now
If her English is not good enough for the LitUK test then she needs to enrol on an ESOL with citizenship course. Progression from one stage to the next, e.g. entry level 1 to entry level 2, is sufficient for the ILR language/citizenship requirement.
she has been refused the opportunity to join the course as she doesn't meet the college's criteria (resident in the UK for three years or registered marriage of at least one year to a British citizen).
As one has to start the course and rise from one level to the next within 2 years of first arriving in the UK, or pay for an expensive visa extension, such criteria are ludicrous.
Find a college that knows what they are doing. First stop, I suggest, should be your local education authority.

Thank you all for your replies.

Vinny - the links were interesting but confirmed that the govt. might stop FLR at some point in the future and this may well leave us in the lurch if it's before next August, so I'd rather not rely on this. The ILR application states that my partner must pass the citizenship test or move up a level in her English (with citizenship) skills. However, she can't get on the course!

7by7 - I will try my LEA today. A good idea.

mariner29 - Did your wife get on an ESOL course with life skills before you were married? The college we visited offered her a normal ESOL course, but said she was not elligible for the one that includes the life skills element (necessary in order to apply for ILR).

Thank you again. Any other suggestions are most welcome.

HI toasted just check when you do the ilr that you have the right set m form's as the goverment seem to change them quite a lot now the forms are from 18 august 2008, but i was told that there is a new set m coming out next month, so just check when you go to do your ilr you got right form's,or they will not except it and send it back to you.

Also on the set m forms dated 18 august it says

A relevant ESOL qualification - if below Entry Level 3, you must show that you have progressed by at least one level and that the course included citizenship materials;So you need to get entry level 3 if you can or get 1 or 2 and show you have progressed up a level.

ESOL is the easy course and your wife should mybe get it for free after 1 year in uk, or if you are getting tax credits. ESOL is easy comperd to Life in the uk test which has lots of stuiped question's which even English people do not know the answer's,so go down the esol route for your wife,

all the best pete

I'd check again about the eligibility to enrol on the course.

I'm not an expert (which is why I say check) but my understanding is you should be allowed to enrol straight away, but the 1 year qualifying period is to allow you to get the course at a discount on the full rate.

The other option is to take the test. I know you say your wife's English is not good, but if you still have 10 months to go, get the course book and practice test book and work with her on it. Even if its just 30 minutes every day, if you help her, you might be surprised at how much she can pick up in a few months. It's also a lot cheaper than the FLR visa fee and it takes away the worry over whether they move the goalposts again in the next couple of years.

I'd check again about the eligibility to enrol on the course.

I'm not an expert (which is why I say check) but my understanding is you should be allowed to enrol straight away, but the 1 year qualifying period is to allow you to get the course at a discount on the full rate.

The other option is to take the test. I know you say your wife's English is not good, but if you still have 10 months to go, get the course book and practice test book and work with her on it. Even if its just 30 minutes every day, if you help her, you might be surprised at how much she can pick up in a few months. It's also a lot cheaper than the FLR visa fee and it takes away the worry over whether they move the goalposts again in the next couple of years.

Our course was free my wife missed her exam :o to move up a level so she took the KOL test i inserted the example we used above.

I phoned the adult education department of the local council today. A lady there agreed that the college's stance does not seem to make sense. She's going to find someone to call me back to help, or failing that, her boss will call me on Monday.

HI there toasted regarding your kol test looks ok but i must point out how are thai etc expected to get questions right when the people that write the questions cannot get it right them self's like question

18 What is the minimum age to drive a car or motorcycle?

they say 17 b.

Well that is wrong correct age is 16 if you are dissabled

So it says a lot that the people that know know nothing themself's

pete

HI toasted just check when you do the ilr that you have the right set m form's as the goverment seem to change them quite a lot now the forms are from 18 august 2008, but i was told that there is a new set m coming out next month, so just check when you go to do your ilr you got right form's,or they will not except it and send it back to you.

A relevant ESOL qualification - if below Entry Level 3, you must show that you have progressed by at least one level and that the course included citizenship materials;So you need to get entry level 3 if you can or get 1 or 2 and show you have progressed up a level.

ESOL is the easy course and your wife should mybe get it for free after 1 year in uk, or if you are getting tax credits. ESOL is easy comperd to Life in the uk test which has lots of stuiped question's which even English people do not know the answer's,so go down the esol route for your wife,

all the best pete

Hi Pete

You say that you may beable to get the ESOL course for free after 1 year of being in the UK can you tell me where you get that info from or how i can get this fpor my wife

Kind Regards

Mark

Edited by randall

hi Randal,

here is an extract from the Newquay college course brochure 2008/9:

English for Speakers of

Other Languages (ESOL)

If English is not your first

language, these courses will

help you improve your speaking,

reading and writing.We will

help you with English for work

and life from complete

beginner upwards.You can get a national qualification to

show your progress. Please note that these courses are no

longer automatically free.The cost will depend on the length of

course that you need.You may be able to get a concession -

your local centre will

provide details.

the page can be found here:

http://adulteducation.cornwall.gov.uk/(S(4...ewquay%20AE.pdf

and the main access page for the adult education site is here:

http://adulteducation.cornwall.gov.uk/(S(4...5))/index2.aspx

good luck,

frank

Hi my wife started on entry level 1 pretty much as soon as she got here.

Her understanding of English was basically zero.

She's now just started entry level 3 and is a very happy little lady.

She's made some new friends and gained some confidence.

Where before she wouldn't speak now I can't get her to shut up!!!

As for the free bit well that seems to depend on the college.

We have to pay here and its different charges for each level all going the wrong way (ie Up)

Hi.

We went down the college route but sfter a few months the course was cancelled and we couldn't get onto another course due to it being over subscribed.

Basically we were forced into the LIUK test so my wife studied the life in the UK books / CD / Crammer books and on the second attempt passed. I have a young family and this was the best course of action for us. College is Ok if you have the time and is progressive but now with the LIUK pass certificate it is a lot easier.

Cheers

all the best pete

Hi Pete

You say that you may beable to get the ESOL course for free after 1 year of being in the UK can you tell me where you get that info from or how i can get this fpor my wife

Kind Regards

Mark

mark when my wife did it we went to local collage and showed the tax credits in my name and because it was below a ammount that was ok so my wife got it for free. just ask your local collage on the requiments to enrol aon a esol course

pete