Living In Bangkok

RoyJones

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes I ask myself why the f*#k I live here - besides having more friends and more work options, BK is rarely dull and offers plenty to do day and night with no shortage of surprises if you're willing to look. I still try to escape as much as possible to the country/islands/neighbouring countries... :o

So, how would you describe your life living in Bangkok?

Have lived in cities in Yorkshire, Africa, Holland and latterly London - now Bangkok. BKK is the only city I have really liked living in despite all the noise, pollution and traffic. I have property in Chiang Mai and Pattaya. Chiang Mai is boring and the expats snobbish. Pattya is fine for short visits in some places. But BKK is home and always will be. My life is quiet here, believe it or not.

I have lived in quite a few places before, and I have to say that for cheap / quality life and still good work opportunities, there are not many places that beat Bangkok. Perhaps Taipei but it feels a bit more provincial. I still miss my life in Japan though.

To give the noise pollution a miss, live in the suburbs, or on a very high floor near the BTS. Really Bangkok would be heaven if they'd just improve the transport system.

Protests and political instability are one thing, but I've lived in France and Korea before, and they know something about country-paralyzing public service strikes and million-people protests. Thailand is rather amusing by comparison, plus the airport blockade was a very good chance to miss an annoying meeting and have a fun experience making my way back via Laos.

Interesting post and replies, I'm planning to move to BKK for a year early next year, so it is fun to read about people's experiences.

One thing though, some replies mention NYC as a great place to live...well having lived in NYC for over 18 years, I can say that it is seriously over-rated...complaints about traffic in BKK? sure it can take you sometimes half an hour to go from Asoke to Ploenchit...in NYC it can take you half an hour to go 5 blocks! (try going cross-town during the day anywhere in Manhattan)...noise pollution in BKK? try the construction, traffic and bar noise in Manhattan (3 bars in a 50 meter block is usual here)...the weather? yes I know it gets steamy in BKK, stepping out in BKK in May it was like stepping into a sauna...in NYC we go from -5C (like right now) to 35C with 95% humidity in the summer...take your pick...of course there are pluses and minuses in every place, so as far as culture and the arts are concerned, NYC is unbeatable, at least in the US.

Btw, it would be interesting to have people's suggestions about the best place to live in Thailand (strictly tourist places excluded)