Best Western

BobEggshell

My wife and I will be heading to Chiangmai for the new year. We booked a room with Best Western. Anyone know if this is a good hotel?

Also what is there to do for a couple in Chiangmai? Neither of us have been there. So we will want to do the normal tourist things plus some fun at night.

What are some good restaurants? Thai restaurants; the wife wont eat anything else.

My wife and I will be heading to Chiangmai for the new year. We booked a room with Best Western. Anyone know if this is a good hotel?

Also what is there to do for a couple in Chiangmai? Neither of us have been there. So we will want to do the normal tourist things plus some fun at night.

What are some good restaurants? Thai restaurants; the wife wont eat anything else.

The Best Western is out of town on the far side of the airport and not ideal if you want to find eating and New Year festivities that you can walk to. There are loads of great restaurants in the city but I'd seriously consider booking something closer to the centre of town. I've no idea what the BW costs but I'm sure if you give the folks here some idea of your budget you'll get some suggestions. I favour the Montri for it's great position at Thapae Gate - rooms at the back are quiet and comfortable but not as new as the BW.

I favour the Montri for it's great position at Thapae Gate - rooms at the back are quiet and comfortable but not as new as the BW.

They do repaint and renovate all the empty rooms every low season though. :o

Thanks for the information everyone.

I already book my room with Best Western for the 28th of Dec to the 2nd of Jan. Well actually my wife told me to book it. I wanted a different hotel, but she said it was to much money.

I'll let you all know how the hotel turns out for us.

So this hotel is not within walk distance of any restaurants or night time activities? How are the taxis? I guess we will have to use them if its not feasible to walk.

Anything place in the city we should check out? How are the tourist attractions? We have 5 days there.

Edited by BobEggshell

If you wife insisted on staying there how about letting her figure out how to get to everywhere. Let her add up the taxi bills to figure out how much her choice really costs you.

Really. I can't believe The Montri will work out more expensive - taxis from BW know they've got you over a barrel so I bet they'd ask 120+ to go anywhere. The convenience of being able to nip back to the hotel to dump all those souvenirs and have a break is worth a lot otherwise you're foced to be out all day carrying bags and stuff around. Figure 400 - 500 baht a day extra for staying that far out.

I hate to add fuel to the fire....the BW is not quite in the boonies (just south of my apt, on Irrigation Canal Road) but is way away from any kind of center city activities. Greenside's post is correct; any perceived savings will be eaten up by cab fare.

I live a few k north on Huay Kaew Road....but I'm a local resident, mobile with 2 motorsai, etc. so I can bomb downtown in minutes, for farthings.

Rethink your reservation, and if you can rebook, go center city, or at least Lotus or CM Orchid (next to Kad Suan Kaew Central shopping center).

That's my 25 satang advice for the evening.

I was thinking if they had a free shuttle, it might not be so bad. I tried to find something online, but found more bad news instead:

Trip Advisor opinions for Best Western

You are booking during the New Year and most hotels charge extra during that period.

Anyway, I agree with the other people here. We usually initially stay at the Lotus Pang in a deluxe room (we use asiarooms.com to book). (It connects to a shopping center that has food courts and grocery store (called Top). Also, there are a couple places there to get foot massages that I've tried. Our recommendation to friends and family for Chiang Mai is Doi Suthep, Elephant Camp (can't remember the name of the one we normally go to), shopping at Baan Tawan (although it seemed to not be as good last year) and the Night Bazaar, getting massages (Traditional Thai or foot), go to Warawot market (see all the different food, flowers) and take a cooking class (to learn about Thai food ingredients and have a good meal - hopefully). However, it really depends what you like to do. Go to the library or buy a guidebook. I think Lonely Planet guides are usually pretty good.

I think the first time we went to Chiang Mai, we booked a van. It was an all day thing and we drove up the Golden Triangle, rode on elephants for a couple of hours, took a boat. So there are trips like that that one can do. Usually, it can be arranged after you get there.

That's my 2 cents...

Wait a minute.

Bob, let me weigh in.

1. Yes you won't be walking to any sights from there. (Possibly Wat Umong Temple you could hike to.. Do visit that place) However think about the horror of staying in a mass tourism area like the Night Bazar area.. Personally if I had to choose between those two I'd be at the Best Western as well!

2. It's a new hotel and looks like a great deal for the price. I checked the price on agoda.com and it's an awesome price for the standard of the rooms etc.

3. RENT A CAR !!!!!! Seriously. When you do, ALL the negatives of this location melt away. Please, rent a car. If you don't want to drive, find a deal with a driver, either from a rental company (northwheels.com , etc.) or make a deal with one of the local 'Red Bus' (converted pick up share taxis) to rent one out by the day or half-day.

4. Insist on a room facing the mountains. The other side would be noisier both because of the road in front, and you'd probably have a pretty direct line to the airport as well.

5. Please REPORT BACK HERE after your stay and let us know how you liked it. I'm seriously considering booking it for a visiting friend of mine because it's such good value and because he will rent a moped anyway.

6. You're on the side of town where the University is, and a ton of restaurants and trendy pubs. (Nimmanhaemin Area). Very local, no package tourists.

Overall, I think you will have a great experience, but GET WHEELS.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Do you feel comfortable driving in Thailand? :o

Yes. I have a very funny story about my last trip to Thailand and driving...

My wife and I were staying at her sisters place and they asked if I could drive a manual. I told them yes. So they said I was driving. I didn't know where I was driving to or what was going on. Come to find out that the whole family loaded up in the truck and we were driving to mom's place; 90+ kilometers away. Me being from the US it took me a little bit to get use to driving from the right seat and shifting with my left hand. Driving on the left side of the road was also new to me. The down pours of rain in September didn't help either. Then we got pulled over by a cop because they never registered the truck; why register a truck if you never leave the village with it? It is only used to go to the rice fields and to the market. My brother in law paid the cop off (300 baht) and we were set free. Well the truck just ran out of gas at that exact moment. So my brother in law flagged down a tuk tuk and went and got gas. We made it to mom's place in one piece and back a few days later. I made sure to get picturs of all of this as I knew no one would believe me. Come to find out the reason they wanted me to drive was because I was the only one with a valid drives license; even if it was from the US.

Well back to the subject on hand. I can not change hotels. One I have already paid for the 5 days, and two my wife would kill me. I will let everyone know how the hotel is.

Transpertation shouldn't be to bad, I believe my wife will find a way for us to get around as cheap as possible. She just starts yelling in Thai and then we pay less. Even places that have two different prices; one for Thais and one for farangs. She yells at them then I pay the Thai price for both of us.

Thanks again everyone for all the feedback.

Edited by BobEggshell

> Transpertation shouldn't be to bad, I believe my wife will find a way for us to get around as cheap as possible. She just starts

> yelling in Thai and then we pay less. Even places that have two different prices; one for Thais and one for farangs.

In that case don't let her look at the side of the building with the big banner hanging down from it, or you'll never hear the end of her yelling at the reception staff.

it'll be a lovely stay if you rent a car.....

I beg to differ. Given the complexity of CM one way systems and the shortage of parking, I wouldn't say having a car for a short stay would be anything less than a headache and while I agree that a hotel in the Night Market might be rather hectic and touristy, there are dozens of nice, small central places tucked away if you want to avoid a big hotel and all that goes with it. BW strikes me as the kind of place that relies on bus loads of tourists who come in for a night, do the sights on some kind of tour and then head on out and I can think of few things less miserable than trying to make it a base for exploring what CM has to offer.

it'll be a lovely stay if you rent a car.....

I beg to differ. Given the complexity of CM one way systems and the shortage of parking, I wouldn't say having a car for a short stay would be anything less than a headache and while I agree that a hotel in the Night Market might be rather hectic and touristy, there are dozens of nice, small central places tucked away if you want to avoid a big hotel and all that goes with it. BW strikes me as the kind of place that relies on bus loads of tourists who come in for a night, do the sights on some kind of tour and then head on out and I can think of few things less miserable than trying to make it a base for exploring what CM has to offer.

I agree with Greenside., The klong road itself is dangerous, during rush hours and especially at night. Driving any four wheel box in CMai is very tricky, and I have the scratches on my Nissan NV to prove it. I often skip going to a shop when driving the car because there is nowhere to park. I'g going to Greenside's photo exhibit today, and would never consider going in a car or truck.