This Big Bike Thing

MJP

i would say if you haven't ridden for a long time then the Kawasaki's are an ideal bike. Bard has one on which he has changed the exhaust etc. and now can cruise at 130ish with a top end of 170ish. believe me if you want a completly legal bike on a small budget this is the way to go. i also happen to know where there is a brand new (70kms on clock) black ninja 250 for sale it already has white plate and green book. its approx 9weeks old with the remainder of 1 years 1st class insurance.... yours for just 130,000 baht ( was 153,000 new) and now would be 163,000 because of the price increase. a fully legal bike.

The owner is selling because he did not test ride it and has found due to very bad back problems he finds it uncomfortable to ride and is looking at getting a bike with a more upright style( he is an older gentleman who has been involved in the rigours of car motorsport for many years, hence the bad back). pm me if interested and i will give you the details. snag ya self a bargain... :D

MJP WHAT DO YOU MEAN "I DONT WANT TO BOTHER WITH 250'S I WOULD BREAK THEM"

DO you weigh like 200 fuc_king kilo's or something. you havent ridden a bike since you were 17 and that was a 125 and now in Thailand of all places you want a 1000... jesus.

i weigh 112kilos and my 250 being light and nimble pisses all over most bikes 400 - 600cc (accept out and out sports bikes cbr600 etc) from 20-120 kmh and defo through traffic... it helps that i got some of the stickiest tyres nown to mankind. :o

132 kgs, down from 152 kgs only 12 weeks ago. (A round of applause there, thank you so much, you're very kind).

I had a Yamaha DT125R when I was 17 and have always loved trail bikes, so the D-Tracker would be ideal.

I've ridden big bikes and still ride today, just haven't owned a bike for, geezus it's 17 years ago! It's time I had a new toy as I have no toys, work my gonads off and everything goes to the wife, the kids, the dog and various governments. Well b0llux to to the lot of 'em, I'm going on strike!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi MJP,

As say Meridian and LivinLOS, don't worry so much.

You don't want to go for 600 KB, and I understand this (as I can understand the ones who do, no problem with this), and as said: check, check, check! Don't be in a hurry. Look at the ads, look at some "little" dealers here and there, and if you are not sure, go with a thai friend who understand what you're looking for... The second hand market in LOS is a "slow market": in 95% of the cases, the bike you just check today will still be for sale in one month...

I actually ride:

1) a '91 Honda CB1 400 I bougt in a small shop for 65 KB, with (true?) green book. And apart some little problem with the carburetors at the time, it works great for me...

2) a '95 Honda XR 250 Baja I bought 40 KB in another small shop, with (true?) green book, and it works great for me...

OK, they are not mint, nor shiny, nor strictly original, nor "star bikes", but I enjoy them every time I ride them (what is the first thing I ask to my bikes! Girls magnet bikes: not my style!), and in case of "big problem with the police", no worry... At the worst, you lose some 10s KB...

Furthemore, you find everywhere a lot of second hand spare parts for these bikes at "normal" prices for LOS.

For other part, I guess that the police is not so attracted by such "used and old" bikes.

BUT, YES, BUY A BIKE WITH GREEN BOOK AND PLATE, you will be more quite in your every day rides.

Good luck in your search,

Gobs

Hi MJP,

As say Meridian and LivinLOS, don't worry so much.

You don't want to go for 600 KB, and I understand this (as I can understand the ones who do, no problem with this), and as said: check, check, check! Don't be in a hurry. Look at the ads, look at some "little" dealers here and there, and if you are not sure, go with a thai friend who understand what you're looking for... The second hand market in LOS is a "slow market": in 95% of the cases, the bike you just check today will still be for sale in one month...

I actually ride:

1) a '91 Honda CB1 400 I bougt in a small shop for 65 KB, with (true?) green book. And apart some little problem with the carburetors at the time, it works great for me...

2) a '95 Honda XR 250 Baja I bought 40 KB in another small shop, with (true?) green book, and it works great for me...

OK, they are not mint, nor shiny, nor strictly original, nor "star bikes", but I enjoy them every time I ride them (what is the first thing I ask to my bikes! Girls magnet bikes: not my style!), and in case of "big problem with the police", no worry... At the worst, you lose some 10s KB...

Furthemore, you find everywhere a lot of second hand spare parts for these bikes at "normal" prices for LOS.

For other part, I guess that the police is not so attracted by such "used and old" bikes.

BUT, YES, BUY A BIKE WITH GREEN BOOK AND PLATE, you will be more quite in your every day rides.

Good luck in your search,

Gobs

Cheers gobs,

I'm a cheap old charlie when it comes to everything really, but especially vehicles. The thought of handing over 600,000 of your Thai Baht's for a thing with no doors, windows, roof or crapper just ain't ever gonna happen in my world.

Nice to know your getting good service out of older bikes. XR's look right up my street, there's sh1t everywhere up north on the red planet, and there's a higher probablility of me remaining attached to one of those should one encounter a pot hole greater than a foot in depth (which is a given).

I'll take sister-in-law with me after she's read up on it all. Wish to god I'd married her.

MJP i LOVE that last sentence. its a classic. and yes bloody good effort on the weight loss. so maybe a push bike as well aint such a bad idea. good on you mate. sorry i was a bit harsh :o , its just i'm kinda sick of people having a downer on 250's. cos lets face it here in thailand with all of the wank drivers any thing to big can be risky if ya open it up. its risky on mine and that only tops out at 170-180kmh.

Allan

MJP i LOVE that last sentence. its a classic. and yes bloody good effort on the weight loss. so maybe a push bike as well aint such a bad idea. good on you mate. sorry i was a bit harsh :o , its just i'm kinda sick of people having a downer on 250's. cos lets face it here in thailand with all of the wank drivers any thing to big can be risky if ya open it up. its risky on mine and that only tops out at 170-180kmh.

Allan

I was gonna put brick under the accelerator pedal Allan, then I remembered, that's the brake :D .

That D-Tracker looks a goodun', just right for those stretches of road some tw@t seems to go round stealing up on the red planet.

i would say if you haven't ridden for a long time then the Kawasaki's are an ideal bike. Bard has one on which he has changed the exhaust etc. and now can cruise at 130ish with a top end of 170ish. believe me if you want a completly legal bike on a small budget this is the way to go. i also happen to know where there is a brand new (70kms on clock) black ninja 250 for sale it already has white plate and green book. its approx 9weeks old with the remainder of 1 years 1st class insurance.... yours for just 130,000 baht ( was 153,000 new) and now would be 163,000 because of the price increase. a fully legal bike.

The owner is selling because he did not test ride it and has found due to very bad back problems he finds it uncomfortable to ride and is looking at getting a bike with a more upright style( he is an older gentleman who has been involved in the rigours of car motorsport for many years, hence the bad back). pm me if interested and i will give you the details. snag ya self a bargain... :D

DO you weigh like 200 fuc_king kilo's or something. you havent ridden a bike since you were 17 and that was a 125 and now in Thailand of all places you want a 1000... jesus.

i weigh 112kilos and my 250 being light and nimble pisses all over most bikes 400 - 600cc (accept out and out sports bikes cbr600 etc) from 20-120 kmh and defo through traffic... it helps that i got some of the stickiest tyres nown to mankind. :o

i weigh 112kilos and my 250 being light and nimble pisses all over most bikes 400 - 600cc (accept out and out sports bikes cbr600 etc) from 20-120 kmh and defo through traffic... it helps that i got some of the stickiest tyres nown to mankind. :D

:o

sorry about the double post CRAP THAI internet didnt work 1st time so did it again and it seems it did work 1st and 2nd time lol

sorry again

Al !

What you up to? I'm stuck in blighty for another 10 days, waiting for an operation wound to heal. It's driving me crazy. Just sent the old woman a couple of hundwed towsand barrht and just know I'm going to return to no new roof but an geriatric Vauxhall Corsa with a broken headlight.

Yours,

In deperate need of immediate helicopter extraction,

MJP

...a geriatric Vauxhall Corsa with a broken headlight.

Since we are now discussing geriatric Vauxhalls, I walked into the GM dealership in Tapachula, southernmost Mexico, one day in 2000. There in the driveway was a functioning, licensed, pea green Vauxhall Victor Super saloon, the split-pea spitting image of my very first 4-wheeler. I wonder if it is still sputtering around Tapachula.

...a geriatric Vauxhall Corsa with a broken headlight.

Since we are now discussing geriatric Vauxhalls, I walked into the GM dealership in Tapachula, southernmost Mexico, one day in 2000. There in the driveway was a functioning, licensed, pea green Vauxhall Victor Super saloon, the split-pea spitting image of my very first 4-wheeler. I wonder if it is still sputtering around Tapachula.

Well, the old woman, brilliant as Valentino Rossi on two wheels, can't get to grips with the big circle (steering wheel). The pick-up's too big so has been banging on about a Honda Jazz automatic.

They're how much? :o

So, I've found Corsa's in fan-dabby-dozzy condition for around 120,000 of your Thai Baht's. If I write 'Jazz' on one, reckon she'd notice? I mean she is a woman.

As you are going, better to write Rolls-Royce, and you doing the "chauffeur"

:o

Gobs old boy, that's a fabulous idea.

I could in fact buy an old Toyota Crown and slap a 'Bank of England' grill and flying lady on the front.

Last time, ohh last time . . . had this Toyota Corona. It's amazing how those things can literally bounce through rice paddies and how they can demolish School signs!

6 months ago bought a BMW F650GS from Mocyc.com. The bike is in good condition with all the paperwork and was owned by a Thai Airways engineer. So far had no problems whatsoever and Barcelona Motors, where the bike was bought and maintained, confirmed to me that it was a good one!

6 months ago bought a BMW F650GS from Mocyc.com. The bike is in good condition with all the paperwork and was owned by a Thai Airways engineer. So far had no problems whatsoever and Barcelona Motors, where the bike was bought and maintained, confirmed to me that it was a good one!

An F650GS, (drooling and slobbering MJP, doesn't make for a pretty image), would be a fantastic device to navigate the boonies. How many of your Thai Baht's did you part with for this salubrious German demonstration of two wheeled mechanisation?

PS: I've found a Velocitus Maximus 1200 for a good price with a plate and book. Are there any auto-club/emergency serivces available to recover me from the business end of the ubiquitous water buffalo?

Blimey MJP you dont arf use some bigwords. you is making my brain right hurt you is..... :o

I've recently got Mozilla Firefox with all the extras, it dun 'arf make me look like one 'a dem from Oxford. (It's got a spell checker).

This is the only forum on the internet I'm actually having some fun on. Geezus! Have you seen some of the arguments going on on t'internet, what a waste of life. Why bother, when us lot can just bang on about bikes!

An F650GS, (drooling and slobbering MJP, doesn't make for a pretty image), would be a fantastic device to navigate the boonies. How many of your Thai Baht's did you part with for this salubrious German demonstration of two wheeled mechanisation?

PS: I've found a Velocitus Maximus 1200 for a good price with a plate and book. Are there any auto-club/emergency serivces available to recover me from the business end of the ubiquitous water buffalo?

Asking price was 280k incl. BMW system panniers, finally got it for 230k. Built in 2003, 30k kms.

Hi Gobs,

Yes green book and plate and no problem whatsoever. The former owner also provided a name change document as he had, for superstitious reasons, changed his name since he bought the bike. So the name in the green book and his ID did no longer match but with the additional letter there was no problem at all with the transfer.

Besides the panniers it also came with new tyres and some new spare brake pads. I sensed he needed the money and that is why I offered 220k and finally agreed on 230k. When I went to pick up the bike I could not withdraw all money on that day. I paid half and he gave me the bike anyway and I paid the rest the next day.

The whole experience was good incl. the ownership transfer.

Edited by jrbkk64

I been quoted 50 to 80,000 to register one (1000 cc) with brand new virgin book.

Be a sweet heart and PM me the details.

I've heard this too, but the other thread mentioned the right 'stamp', import duty I think.

and I was told the 2,000 Baht helmet is no longer included. They will however generously give you a 200 Baht helmet....

even 2000 baht aint enough for a good helmet.

wear a decent western standard brand helmet. Shoei or AGV etc.

you're looking at about 10,000 for one of them.

not cheap but you only get one skull.

I been quoted 50 to 80,000 to register one (1000 cc) with brand new virgin book.

I've heard this too, but the other thread mentioned the right 'stamp', import duty I think.

It can be done at around that price.. Sadly the only one I knew who was reliably producing green books and doing so at a 100% fixed price was TP.. Who if you follow the threads just got busted for making bent books !!

Its also different out in the provinces to BKK.. I went and saw a Thai guy whose well connected here, in all the MC clubs, runs a biker bar etc.. He made some calls for me and a 400 which cost 50k in BKK cost 80k here.. Reason being the chief of the customs house wanted the difference in cash to pass it no matter what your docs or the bike.

and I was told the 2,000 Baht helmet is no longer included. They will however generously give you a 200 Baht helmet....

even 2000 baht aint enough for a good helmet.

wear a decent western standard brand helmet. Shoei or AGV etc.

you're looking at about 10,000 for one of them.

not cheap but you only get one skull.

While its no shoei or AGV the 'real' brand helmets are a pretty good middle range.. I know you only have the one head but I ride with one of those quite happily.

It can be done at around that price.. Sadly the only one I knew who was reliably producing green books and doing so at a 100% fixed price was TP.. Who if you follow the threads just got busted for making bent books !!

Its also different out in the provinces to BKK.. I went and saw a Thai guy whose well connected here, in all the MC clubs, runs a biker bar etc.. He made some calls for me and a 400 which cost 50k in BKK cost 80k here.. Reason being the chief of the customs house wanted the difference in cash to pass it no matter what your docs or the bike.

Seen some good bikes without reg for relatively okay money. That GSX1400 was up for 195,000 Baht, perfect bike for me and I could stretch the 80k to register it.

TBH, where I am, I don't see a big problem. Wouldn't want the hassle in BKK or other populated areas though.

In the moment MJP. OK for now...

But through 2 or 3 years, I think things will change. I have (and some friends too!) the feeling that Thailand is enforcing its laws... in any matter. Maybe I'm wrong, but for my part, I shouldn't take the risk...

No green book, the police may seize your bike, MJP. At any time... Or you hide it in some barn by there under rice straw and have a look at it from time to time, and you are happy with this, but no more in the next future! In this two cases you "lose" your money...

I guess you're not a person who like losing money, MJP, hey?

195000 Bahts or say 200 KB, you can find a "big bike" with green book. And then, you feel quite and peaceful even in "Nakhon Nowhere", where you live... And if one day you want to have a ride with some friends for 200, 300 or 400 km, will you feel safety with no plates?..

Here in CNX I saw a Kawy ZZX 1100 (maybe not ZZX, sorry for the XXX sometimes I'm a little in trouble with this) with green book for 185 KB. Not realy mint but very, very clean bike, something like 35/40 Kkm, about 10 y.o. and ready to use... And much, much more in BKK, if you search and are ready to make a jump to BKK...

Please MJP, old boy, consider this...

Cheers

Gobs