Uk Spouse Settlement ( Question 6.8.13 ) Help?

Need some helpful advise pls.

I am applying for spouse visa for my wife.

Question 6.8.13 on page 13. 'Do you intend to work in the UK'?

I don not know how to answer for the best. She will work if she is granted the visa and applies for an N.I Number, I can also provide a company letter from the place she will be working saying that they will offer her a position, but on the other hand is it easiest just to say no and prove that I will be able to support us both as they might think she is an economic migrant if I say yes! :o

cheers for any advice.

I don not know how to answer for the best. She will work if she is granted the visa and applies for an N.I Number, I can also provide a company letter from the place she will be working saying that they will offer her a position, but on the other hand is it easiest just to say no and prove that I will be able to support us both as they might think she is an economic migrant if I say yes!

This is an issue I'd also like to see cleared up

Would having a document from an employer promising work help or hinder a settlement visa application?

The Eco must be satisfied the job offer is genuine or the applicant has a reasonable chance of gaining employment in the area they intend to settle. The sponsor may well have enough income to support the couple without recourse to any public funds, if that is the case future employment is not an issue.

UK Visa

There is no explicit minimum figure for what represents sufficient maintenance. However, in 2006 UKAIT KA and Others (Pakistan), the AIT strongly suggested that it would not be appropriate to have immigrant families existing on resources that that were less than the Income Support level for a British Family of that size (See Paragraph 8 of the determination - available on the Asylum and Immigration Tribunal website). If it is more likely than not that the total amount that the applicant and sponsor will have to live on will be below what the income support level would be for a British family of that size, then it may be appropriate to refuse the application on maintenance and accommodation grounds.

Information via UK Border agency.

Edited by mariner29

Don't worry, you need not show that she will be employed, all you need to do at this point is prove that you indeed, have sufficient funds to support you both without having recourse to UK State funding. This is done by providing salary payslips, proof of permanent address,ie. utility bill payments incl. Council Tax . Keep these details, they will be required, on applying for marriage & NI number.

I did this for a fiance visa for my wife. When we married in the UK she was then able to apply for a NI number.

Hope this helps..... :o

On the granting of an NI number, the rules changed s while ago and my wife had to go for an interview at a Job Centre Plus. It was more of a formality, form filling etc proof of immigration status and place of work. Number was issued within a week.

This is an issue I'd also like to see cleared up

Would having a document from an employer promising work help or hinder a settlement visa application?

Neither, in most cases.

As already said, if a couple have sufficient funds to support themselves from the sponsor's income then whether the applicant will be seeking work, or already has a job offer, once in the UK is not an issue.

If the sponsor does not have sufficient income, or is returning or applying to live in the UK at the same time, then the applicants employment prospects in the UK may be an issue. Although it is important to remember that someone entering the UK as a fiance or proposed civil partner cannot work until after the marriage or civil partnership has taken place and they have FLR.

See Chapter 9 - The maintenance and accommodation requirements