Am I Going To Break My Piggy Bank?

gobs

Well, unlike all what I've done and thought since more than 30 years in the West, am I going to buy a brand new bike?

I've been settled in Thailand for 3 years now, where I greatly enjoy my life. I do adore the people, the country, the food, the climate and... yes: the bikes. I actually own 2 ones (250cc + 400cc), and I'm happy with. For the fun, I have been looking for 2 or 3 months by now for a "bigger" and "newer" one, so a more expensive one for sure.

I found some, no problem... Pretty, well-cared, few kilometers, riding great, prices according the condition, and so on... I could easily make a good choice...

But here come the hassles pointed here and there on TV among other boards:

- This SO famous (true or untrue) green book and its uggly implications with the police in a near future,

- This SO famous (true or untrue) turn to Gasohol and its uggly implications with the "health" of our oldies...

Untill these last days, I was not OK with what many say: "buy a new bike, forget the hassles and enjoy to ride in peace!". Now, I must confess that I'm not far away to share their advice.

What if you buy a bike for 200 or 300 KB and police say to you: "bad green book, cannot ride it more!"?

And what if through 2 or 3 years, you can't use it because: "Benzine tamada no have more!"?

And I don't speak about the eventuality of some trouble in the engine or the harness or this or that... that can occur 257 km from home on an "unknown oldie". We have to know this: it's part of the "game"...

So gents, here I am... Purchasing a middle range japanese new brand roadster and put on the table between 450 and 600 KB? Why not? At least I'm not a "kleenex-bike-guy", and I know if I buy a brand new one I'll keep it for many years... So I am: in love with my bikes. In this I may find some consolation.

What are your thoughts about this? Your experiences? Your advices?..

Cheers,

Gobs

That's it LivinLos!

I too like better the FZ6...

All the tests I read say FZ6 smoother (4cyl) than ER6 (2 cyl)...

FZ6 can be ridden at some 2500/3000 rev (or say about 40 km/h in 6 gear) in traffic jam for example.

You can't ride the ER6 under 4000 rev...

Cheers

LivinLOS: ER6N.. sub 300k.. In next 90 days...

While I like the FZ6 more, I dont like it 150k more..

The silver with red frame and fork lowers is as fresh today as it was when it was released.

gobs: All the tests I read say FZ6 smoother (4cyl) than ER6 (2 cyl)...

FZ6 can be ridden at some 2500/3000 rev (or say about 40 km/h in 6 gear) in traffic jam for example.

You can't ride the ER6 under 4000 rev...

Cockie sh1t! More Cockie sh1t! Take a test ride on each and decide for yourself. Bike testers ride em, rarely buy em! Find your own answers.

I never rode neither bike, so I cannot say anything about the revs. What I would consider would be is the other bike worth 50% more money? If the dosh is not an issue go for whatever you feel like, if 150k is not cool for the other bike, try out an Er-6n they're certainly coming to rental shops pretty fast after the launch, rent one for a week and see if you're happy with it.

Then again Yammie might reduce the price when Kawa releases the ER, that is what I am hoping for with a selection of 600's cheaper than now, say around 300 for 600's with Supersports topping off at 400k, so I will wait and see what happens in the beginning of next year, we might be positively surprised. If not there will be loads of Kawis on the road in the future I guess.

I would rather have one Er-6n for touring and one 250 for fun, either KLX, D-Tracker or Ninja for 450k than a FZ6, but that is me and my objection.

I going to wait for the FTA with Japan to kick in and see what happens. It's more than possible that once the market is properly established, much more than the Er-6n will come available. Demand is strong for bigger bikes in Thailand.

How long before the big trailie's like the XT660 or even the Transalp become a realistic price?

One thing that really grates me regards import duty is the fact that the money for buying these bikes has not really come from Thailand, i.e., a farang buys a bike with UK money. :o

One thing that really grates me regards import duty is the fact that the money for buying these bikes has not really come from Thailand, i.e., a farang buys a bike with UK money. :o

With the Quid turning into the Squib the price of Triumphs should be dropping like a bar girl's knickers.

Doubt it will happen though (the price NOT the knickers)

With the Quid turning into the Squib the price of Triumphs should be dropping like a bar girl's knickers.

Doubt it will happen though (the price NOT the knickers)

Being married I'd rather they stay on.

The old woman said to me the other month about the blue pills'. I said it would just be a waste of money.

Come on friends!

I would like to hear more thoughts...

And thanks for the previous answers.

Cheers

Best I could do old boy,

Don't break piggy bank, there's a lot of sh1t coming our way. Big global depression.

Hold on for Free Trade Agreement to kick in proper. Reckon we'll have a lot of choice soon. They won't be selling bikes anywhere else, Thailand market opens up reckon it being flooded with lots of models and good deals. (Good deals, unless you hold Sterling that is).

Edited by MJP

The price difference between Kawa ER-6n and Yammie FZ6 in UK is about 300 Pounds, to simplify say about 500 $ or 20,000,- Baht very roughly.

Both bikes are naked sports bikes, with upright comfortable driving position well suited for touring, commuting fun driving and what have you. When I check the bikes since you guys made me curious I found this.

ER-6n, 2 Cylinder 71 bhp bike

FZ6, 4 cylinder 98 bhp bike

For the minor difference in UK I would not even hesitate to buy the Yammie, and hopefully with the new FTA with Japan in place the difference could be down to 20 - 30 k baht which I would be more than happy to pay extra for the 2 extra cylinders and 27 extra horsepower. So I will definately wait to decide for my tour bike until I see what will happen with Yammie and Honda first.

Cheers Bard