Gulf Air Versus Qatar

alyx

Hello

Has anyone got any experiences travelling with either airlines ?

I plan to go to Europe in June (business)

As there is a substancial difference in fares between the two carriers, I wonder whether it is worth spending the extra

I'd appreciate any informations (lounge, delays, connections,service on board, angle or flat bed..)

Thanks

Hello

Has anyone got any experiences travelling with either airlines ?

I plan to go to Europe in June (business)

As there is a substancial difference in fares between the two carriers, I wonder whether it is worth spending the extra

I'd appreciate any informations (lounge, delays, connections,service on board, angle or flat bed..)

Thanks

No comparison, but if cheaper is what you want, Gulf Air is for you.

Thanks James

But a bit more specificity would help

As bkkjames said no comparison.

I used to fly Gulf but after 2 disastrous travels not anymore. I prefer Etihad en Qatar now.

Qatar is just a little bit cheaper but has reclining flatbed seats in business whereas Etihad has fully flatbed,although a bit narrow.

Dedicated lounge in Doha (Qatar)is excellent (separate building). Lounge in Bahrain (Gulf) is not to bad but in the old building which is a bit shabby.

Service on board with Qatar is excellent, much much better than with Gulf.

In short Qatar is 5 star and Gulf is 2 star.

The choice is yours.

cheers

onzestan

Gulf Air is awful. Always have delays and the planes are very old without any seatback TVs, let alone an entertainment system.

On my last trip I used Gulf and it wasn't too bad. It is a while since I used Qatar, but at that time this airline was nothing to write home about with a long lay over between flights. My impression regarding Gulf (based on other people's posts) is that it is a bit of a gamble: it can be okay but also run into problems. In my case flying LHR-BKK via Abu Dhabi all four flights were on time with the connection wait under 2 hours (less than that out of the planes). The smaller airbus to and from London is fairly new and has modern seat-back entertainment. The problem is on the BKK route where there are older planes. However on my flights one was a recently refurbished aircraft and the older one was actually not that bad. I noticed some worn seats and the in-flight entertainment was via shared TVs, but this is no worse than say some of the older KLM planes. I would take a chance again if the price differential is attractive enough.

Edited by citizen33

Gulf Air is awful. Always have delays and the planes are very old without any seatback TVs, let alone an entertainment system.

On my last trip I used Gulf and it wasn't too bad. It is a while since I used Qatar, but at that time this airline was nothing to write home about with a long lay over between flights. My impression regarding Gulf (based on other people's posts) is that it is a bit of a gamble: it can be okay but also run into problems. In my case flying LHR-BKK via Abu Dhabi all four flights were on time with the connection wait under 2 hours (less than that out of the planes). The smaller airbus to and from London is fairly new and has modern seat-back entertainment. The problem is on the BKK route where there are older planes. However on my flights one was a recently refurbished aircraft and the older one was actually not that bad. I noticed some worn seats and the in-flight entertainment was via shared TVs, but this is no worse than say some of the older KLM planes. I would take a chance again if the price differential is attractive enough.

You mean Bahrain and not Abu Dhabi?

Anyways, 3 better options depending on price are Etihad, Qatar, Emirates. I won't fly Gulf again until they take delivery of the 787s. Those A340's on the BKK Bahrain route are older than me, and I am pretty dam_n old.

You mean Bahrain and not Abu Dhabi?

Anyways, 3 better options depending on price are Etihad, Qatar, Emirates. I won't fly Gulf again until they take delivery of the 787s. Those A340's on the BKK Bahrain route are older than me, and I am pretty dam_n old.

I use Gulf a lot (just made it to Silver for what good that does me).

I would prefer Emirates, but when ever I travel Gulf seems to have the better schedule, and cheaper Business Class fares. (i.e. My last trip, Oct-Nov 08. Could have bought Econo tickets on Emirates for $1,250. I bought Business Class on Gulf for $1,140, and arrived in Los hours earlier, despite having to go from Dubai to Bahrain to Bangkok)

For some reason, they often use a very nice jet for the (1 hour) Dubai-Bahrain route, and an older model Airbus for the (7 hour) Bahrain-Bangkok flight (though I had a nice jet on the way there last time, and an older model on the way back).

Bahrain airport is in serious need of a major upgrade (or a brand new terminal). One main concourse with a few shops/restaurants. I've never even bothered checking out the Business Class lounge (hardly ever there long enough any ways).

On board service has always been decent on the flights I've flown. Never had a complaint about the food.

My main problem with Qatar Air is that every time I try and book a Dubai-Bangkok flight (via Doha), they always try to ding me for a 1st Class fare for the Dubai-Doha leg. Apparently you can go Economy or 1st Class only. The price bump for that little (1 hour) leg of 1st Class makes the entire ticket too high (when compared to Emirates or Gulf).

Emirates now operates all of their flights out of their new Terminal 3 facility. Saw it from the outside when I arrived last week. Apparently it's quite nice.

My next trip is still a ways off in the future, but I may take Emirates just to experience the new terminal (unless I decide I want to be in Thailand a few hours earlier and use Gulf again). :o

Should have said Bahrain above. Have also flown Etihad fairly recently via Abu Dhabi (good). However, as I said I couldn't find too much regarding Gulf to complain about - perhaps just lucky. EVA have had some cheap flights on and off recently and I prefer their direct flight to changing planes halfway. Have already bought my next tickets with them.