Burns Night In Chiang Mai

thebear

I have attended Burns suppers throughout the Middle East,the Phillipines,West Africa and even on one occasion in Viet Nam (with both the U.S. and Soviet Ambassadors) and even here back in boring old Enfield I "do" 3-4 each Jan.@25th in our local pubs/political clubs.

Its a great opportunity to celebrate the life,love and works of "the Bard"and to appreciate and understand how his influence has spread throughout the world on such diverse subjects as internationalism and yet still consider and ponder on the basic needs,desires and aspirations of the common man. :o

If and when we decide to maybe settle down in C.M I would be happy to set up a club (sorry but no yet)...need any further ifo :D just post....

Brief History...

Burns Suppers have been part of Scottish culture for about 200 years as a means of commemorating our best loved bard. And when Burns immortalised haggis in verse he created a central link that is maintained to this day.

The ritual was started by close friends of Burns a few years after his death in 1796 as a tribute to his memory. The basic format for the evening has remained unchanged since that time and begins when the chairman invites the company to receive the haggis.

THE FORMAT FOR A BURNS SUPPER

Chairperson's opening address

A few welcoming words start the evening and the meal commences with the Selkirk Grace

The company are asked to stand to receive the haggis. A piper then leads the chef, carrying the haggis to the top table, while the guests accompany them with a slow handclap. The chairman or invited guest then recites Burns' famous poem To A Haggis, with great enthusiasm. When he reaches the line 'an cut you up wi' ready slight', he cuts open the haggis with a sharp knife.

It's customary for the company to applaud the speaker then stand and toast the haggis with a glass of whisky.

The company will then dine. A typical Bill o' Fare would be:

Cock-a-leekie soup

Haggis warm reeking, rich wi' Champit Tatties,

Bashed Neeps

Tyspy Laird (sherry trifle)

A Tassie o' Coffee

The Immortal Memory

One of the central features of the evening. An invited guest is asked to give a short speech on Burns. There are many different types of Immortal Memory speeches, from light-hearted to literary, but the aim is the same - to outline the greatness and relevance of the poet today.

Toast To The Lasses

The main speech is followed by a more light-hearted address to the women in the audience. Originally this was a thank you to the ladies for preparing the food and a time to toast the 'lasses' in Burns' life. The tone should be witty, but never offensive, and should always end on a concilliatory note.

Response

The turn of the lasses to detail men's foibles. Again, should be humorous but not insulting.

Poem and Songs

Once the speeches are complete the evening continues with songs and poems. These should be a good variety to fully show the different moods of Burns muse. Favourites for recitations are Tam O' Shanter, Address to the Unco Guid, To A Mouse and Holy Willie's Prayer.

The evening will culminate with the company standing, linking hands and singing Auld Lang Syne to conclude the programme :D

A verse from one of his better know renditions......got 100s more

His knife see rustic Labour dight,

An cut you up wi ready slight,

Trenching your gushing entrails bright,

Like onie ditch;

And then, O what a glorious sight,

Warm-reekin, rich!

:D:o

I have attended Burns suppers throughout the Middle East,the Phillipines,West Africa and even on one occasion in Viet Nam (with both the U.S. and Soviet Ambassadors) and even here back in boring old Enfield I  "do" 3-4 each Jan.@25th in our local pubs/political clubs.

Its a great opportunity to celebrate the life,love and works of "the Bard"and  to appreciate and understand how his influence has spread throughout the world on such diverse subjects as internationalism and yet still consider  and ponder on the basic needs,desires and aspirations of the common man.  :o

If and when we decide to maybe settle down in C.M I would be happy to set up a club (sorry but no yet)...need any further ifo :D  just post....

Brief History...

Burns Suppers have been part of Scottish culture for about 200 years as a means of commemorating our best loved bard. And when Burns immortalised haggis in verse he created a central link that is maintained to this day.

The ritual was started by close friends of Burns a few years after his death in 1796 as a tribute to his memory. The basic format for the evening has remained unchanged since that time and begins when the chairman invites the company to receive the haggis.

THE FORMAT FOR A BURNS SUPPER

Chairperson's opening address

A few welcoming words start the evening and the meal commences with the Selkirk Grace

The company are asked to stand to receive the haggis. A piper then leads the chef, carrying the haggis to the top table, while the guests accompany them with a slow handclap. The chairman or invited guest then recites Burns' famous poem To A Haggis, with great enthusiasm. When he reaches the line 'an cut you up wi' ready slight', he cuts open the haggis with a sharp knife.

It's customary for the company to applaud the speaker then stand and toast the haggis with a glass of whisky.

The company will then dine. A typical Bill o' Fare would be:

Cock-a-leekie soup

Haggis warm reeking, rich wi' Champit Tatties,

Bashed Neeps

Tyspy Laird (sherry trifle)

A Tassie o' Coffee

The Immortal Memory

One of the central features of the evening. An invited guest is asked to give a short speech on Burns. There are many different types of Immortal Memory speeches, from light-hearted to literary, but the aim is the same - to outline the greatness and relevance of the poet today.

Toast To The Lasses

The main speech is followed by a more light-hearted address to the women in the audience. Originally this was a thank you to the ladies for preparing the food and a time to toast the 'lasses' in Burns' life. The tone should be witty, but never offensive, and should always end on a concilliatory note.

Response

The turn of the lasses to detail men's foibles. Again, should be humorous but not insulting.

Poem and Songs

Once the speeches are complete the evening continues with songs and poems. These should be a good variety to fully show the different moods of Burns muse. Favourites for recitations are Tam O' Shanter, Address to the Unco Guid, To A Mouse and Holy Willie's Prayer.

The evening will culminate with the company standing, linking hands and singing Auld Lang Syne to conclude the programme :D

I think I saw this on Monty Python once.

:D

Looks as though Chiang Mai and maybe even Shanghai need a bit of inspiration: :o

Anyway couple of favs.before the "peasants revolt"....

.....wot do you mean the parrots dead?

so..

In Politics if thou would'st mix,

And mean thy fortunes be;

Bear this in mind,-be deaf and blind,

Let great folk hear and see.

O would, or I had seen the day

That Treason thus could sell us,

My auld grey head had lien in clay,

Wi' Bruce and loyal Wallace!

But pith and power, till my last hour,

I'll mak this declaration;

We're bought and sold for English gold-

Such a parcel of rogues in a nation! :D

Looks as though Chiang Mai and maybe even Shanghai need a bit of inspiration: :o

Anyway couple of favs.before the "peasants revolt"....

.....wot do you mean the parrots dead?

so..

In Politics if thou would'st mix,

And mean thy fortunes be;

Bear this in mind,-be deaf and blind,

Let great folk hear and see.

O would, or I had seen the day

That Treason thus could sell us,

My auld grey head had lien in clay,

Wi' Bruce and loyal Wallace!

But pith and power, till my last hour,

I'll mak this declaration;

We're bought and sold for English gold-

Such a parcel of rogues in a nation!  :D

Ain't that the truth. :D

I had a call from a Scottish mate in NZ and he sent me this..he's a real RB fan BTW. :o

"Do you know what "Bashed neeps" are? Mashed turnips or swedes, can you get them in Thailand and what about the haggis? None of your sweet and sour or Laksa Thai dishes it has to be the real thing "Warm and reekin'"

Don't forget that it must be accompanied by the best Scotch Whisky, and don't let them persuade you that the whiskey should be poured on the haggis on the plate, that is quite wrong and spoils the taste of the haggis, it is drunk separately! Remember the " ready slight" is pronounced "slicht"

The whole verse goes:

"His knife see rustic Labour dight

An' cut you up wi' ready sleight,

Trenching your gushing entrails bright,

Like ony ditch;

And then, O what a glorious sight,

Warm-reekin, rich! "

All the words in that verse with igh in them are pronounced ich, dicht, slicht, bricht and sicht. As in "A braw bricht moonlicht nicht the nicht." Here endeth the first lesson in "Lallans Scots." "

Edited by chuchok

Looks like we could get it up and running :D

Incid your NZ mate isnt an ex S.F.comm.Captain in the army who plays the pipes is he?

Happy memories (last time I saw him) about 12-13 years ago celebrating and singing our heads off as the sun went down with all his squad and a "hungy"on the banks of the Mehkong somewhere near the laos border up in the north of Cambodia. :D ...bang bangs all around but who cared.....good guys.

Bit more information on the supper.

Dont know if you can get any decent neeps in C.M.but will bring some out next time and plant them up on oor wee bit o land just up the hill from Chiangers.

(glen na eagles)

The weather and temp.is about right so will see.

We have already done some different varieties of spuds so will find out on next visit how they are doing.

Our neighbour adjacent is the local "head man"of the village and he though it was a great idea but dont think he ever saw them before. :D Just wait till I show him a haggis.

small item for anyone who is really into it..... dont forget that theres no "E "in good whisky :o slange.

so..

The "Bill O Fare" (menu) comprises "Cock-a-leekie" Soup,(an old Scottish recipe); The main course of "Haggis wi bashit neeps an' champit tatties" ( Haggis, mashed turnip/swede and mashed potatoes);

Sweet course of "Clootie Dumplin" (Dumpling pudding prepared in a linen cloth or "cloot") or Scottish trifle; Final course of "Bannocks an Cheese" (Traditional Scottish Oatcakes and cheese board) finishing off with Coffee or Tea.

Other variations exist and often the Haggis, Neeps an Tatties are served as a starter, with a main course of a Beef dish or Steak Pie.

A custom (as they say in LOS -up 2 u) has also developed where a "wee splash of Whisky Sauce", (which is straight whisky) is poured over the haggis giving it added flavour.

Wine is often served with the meal and of course generous quantities of the finest Scottish malt whisky is consumed after the meal.

:D

Looks like we could get it up and running :D

Incid your NZ mate isnt an ex S.F.comm.Captain in the army who plays the pipes is he?

Happy memories (last time I saw him) about 12-13 years ago celebrating and singing our heads off as the sun went down with all his squad and a  "hungy"on the banks of the Mehkong somewhere near the laos border up in the north of Cambodia. :D ...bang bangs all around but who cared.....good guys.

Bit more information on the supper.

Dont know if you can get any decent neeps in C.M.but will bring some out next time and plant them up on oor wee bit o land just up the hill from Chiangers.

(glen na eagles)

The weather and temp.is about right so will see.

We have already done some different varieties of spuds so will find out on next visit how they are doing.

Our neighbour adjacent is the local "head man"of the village and he though it was a great idea but dont think he ever saw them before. :D Just wait till I show him a haggis.

small item for anyone who is really into it..... dont forget that theres no "E "in good whisky :D slange.

so..

The "Bill O Fare" (menu) comprises "Cock-a-leekie" Soup,(an old Scottish recipe); The main course of "Haggis wi bashit neeps an' champit tatties" ( Haggis, mashed turnip/swede and mashed potatoes);

Sweet course of "Clootie Dumplin" (Dumpling pudding prepared in a linen cloth or "cloot") or Scottish trifle; Final course of "Bannocks an Cheese" (Traditional Scottish Oatcakes and cheese board) finishing off with Coffee or Tea.

Other variations exist and often the Haggis, Neeps an Tatties are served as a starter, with a main course of a Beef dish or Steak Pie.

A custom (as they say in LOS -up 2 u) has also developed where a "wee splash of Whisky Sauce", (which is straight whisky) is poured over the haggis giving it added flavour.

Wine is often served with the meal and of course generous quantities of the finest Scottish malt whisky is consumed after the meal.

:o

No, he's actually an old mate of my fathers, that I still keep in contact with.

He's quite a hard case old bugger. A few years ago he saw me about to add some coke to a whisky at a party for a bird I was taking out......he looked at me like I had just <deleted> myself. I tried to explain to him that it was a crap bottle of JW Red ...and he came back with " It dosn't matter, a whisky is a whisky" :D

Anyway, will look forward to it if it happens.