Thai Wife Opting For American Citizenship

I will be returning to US with Thai wife. She wants to become an American citizen. Can she retain her Thai citizenship or does she need to renounce it?

Thailand is ok with dual nationality. The US officially doesn't recognise it and considers anyone who wants US citizenship to only be a US citizen, but doesn't actually make you renounce it or do anything to stop you having another passport.

Edited by CharlieB

My wife became an American citizen a few years ago. She uses her Thai passport to enter and leave Thailand. She uses her US passport everywhere else. Ironically, now she can stay in Thailand as long as she wants and not worry about revocation of her US green card.

My wife became an American citizen a few years ago. She uses her Thai passport to enter and leave Thailand. She uses her US passport everywhere else. Ironically, now she can stay in Thailand as long as she wants and not worry about revocation of her US green card.

that's why i went for US citizenship too, now i don't have to live there but could go back any time if i wanted to.

does the OP know what's involved in getting citizenship?

Neither Thailand nor the USA explicitly forbid dual nationality. As far as the green card, once citizenship is conferred the green card is no longer necessary since an American Citizen has the right to work in the USA without undue hindrance. The process of naturalization can vary from person to person depending upon their situation. The above link gives the general guidelines.

Best of Luck!

Ben Hart

Managing Director

Integrity Legal Thailand

US Immigration from Thailand

Thanks to all of you for your concise and straightforward answers to my question. Since you all seem to be providing the same answer, I can take a large degree of confidence in what you have contributed here. Thanks again.....

The following is quoted from the U.S. State Dept web site: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html . The 2nd paragraph was the source of THAIHOME's input. In case you didn't go to the site, I would like to draw your attention to the 4th sentence in the 4th paragraph: travel is allowed using both passports so you wife could leave the U.S. on a U.S. passport and come into Thailand on a Thai passport and have no visa worries, regardless of her length of stay. This makes it so much easier for trips home when you do not know for sure how long she will stay and, specially, when/if you retire and move back to Thailand. Only one person of the couple has to get a retiree visa.

"The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a citizen of two countries at the same time. Each country has its own citizenship laws based on its own policy. Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice. For example, a child born in a foreign country to U.S. citizen parents may be both a U.S. citizen and a citizen of the country of birth.

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth. U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct. The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. citizens may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist citizens abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.

However, dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries. Either country has the right to enforce its laws, particularly if the person later travels there. Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport does not endanger U.S. citizenship. Most countries permit a person to renounce or otherwise lose citizenship.

Information on losing foreign citizenship can be obtained from the foreign country's embassy and consulates in the United States. Americans can renounce U.S. citizenship in the proper form at U.S. embassies and consulates abroad. "

"My wife became an American citizen a few years ago. She uses her Thai passport to enter and leave Thailand. She uses her US passport everywhere else. Ironically, now she can stay in Thailand as long as she wants and not worry about revocation of her US green card."

Same here, my wife became a American citizen this last March 08. Lots of studing for her. We drove to downtown Los Angles for her test. There I saw a few folks who did not pass. One girl came out crying. They made my wife write in english, made sure she could speck english and asked her questions about American history. There are 100 questions and they will ask I believe 7/10 out of the 100. She was well prepard before she went. I remember her big Thai smile when she came form the testing room, "I passed" she said, priceless.

After all this I retired and we both moved to Thailand. :o)))

Edited by sendbaht