Double entry tourist in vientianne

Well I heard that getting a double entry tourist visa in Vientianne was no problem but after waiting in line for 3 1/2 hours I only got a single and it was such chaos there I didn't get chance to argue about it.

Is the reason that the fee's go up in a couple of day's and they want me to go back in 3 months and pay 3 times the price or have they changed there policies.

After spending 3 1/2 hours applying and 2 hours waiting to pick up my passport while the touts and any one else that felt like it jumped the queue, not to mention the cost of going there I don't think I will be doing it again.

I am now thinking of taking my hard earned tourist cash to somewere that appreciates it!

Not the Land of Smiles in the Vientianne Consulate.

Can someone tell me I just had a bad experience or is it always like that.

Yours

Mr Angry.

Hansco, you might find it useful to have a look at the post by alykev on visa fee increases and the Philippines. The attitude of the Pi Govt is in stark contrast to Thailand, in that instead of becoming more hostile to long term stayers, they are amending their legislation to actively encourage them. Quite a refreshing policy, when you consider what is going on here.

I think that what we are seeing now is only the start, and that life will become increasingly difficult under Toxin.

Not just my view. Many ex-pats in my area are looking for pastures new.

The Thai Embassy in Singapore now won't issue back to back tourist visas.  I believe the times are changing for issuing tourist visas.  .

Hi Stopper,

Appreciate what you mean by 'back to back visa'...Thanks :o

hansco, I have been doing visa runs since Dec. 2001 to Vientiane. When I first went there, it was easy. I could walk in the front door, get a form and fill it out, wait maybe an hour at most for my number and go to the first window and then pay at the 2d window right afterwards. So much for the good times. I agree whole-heartedly with you that it is a nightmare now. I would usually plan my trips carefully in order to arrive at the consulate early in order to submit my visa application and get it the next day, thus staying only one night. This last time, August 6th, I stayed 2 nights, thinking if I went to the consulate very early at 8:30 am it will be better. Not true. Still the same time in line only earlier in the morning!  I did get a double-entry tourist visa this last time and I had my Thai girl friend there with me at the window. The lady gave me a hard time but I produced old copies of my bank statements and pension statement and it worked. But there has to be a better way than this. I am too darn old to handle this kind of stress. Living in Thailand is simply not worth this kind of hassle. I hope to make a trip soon to the Philippines and when I do, I will post my personal thoughts here. You might want to look at www.livinginthephilippines.com for some information.

..yep. The times they are a-changing. I can only confirm the above comment that the Thai embassy in Singapore doesn't let you renew your 60 day tourist visa to another 60 day tourist visa immediately. They told me you need to STAY OUT of Thailand for *at least* 90 days before they will issue another one.

Also, I have noticed increased computerization at the border check points (i.e. Mae Sai and Pedang Besar) which will make it more difficult for officials to look the other way when it comes to central policy changes, and also will make it harder to change a stamp-laden passport and think it will improve your situation.

We're now ON RECORD. Look out.  ???

we were in that que and in the end started to shout everytime someone touted their way in and suprisingly other people joined in and it worked the touts stopped.the tout guy with berry on tried to push in right infront of us and we told him to get behind us and quite suprisingly he did.i think if you do speak out other people will join you and they do dissappear.it sometimes needs someone to start the ball rolling.

cant answer your visa query but me and my friend are both married and obtained a non immigrant 90 day visa on the 25th for 500 baht which has now gone up to 2000 baht.