Karaoke Problems (now I Know Why Thai's Shoot Each Other)

su-b-doo

Hi

Can anybody help? I have lived for 4 years at Nernplabwan 26, Marpyairia area, it was quite, but about six months ago on a waste bit of land backing on to my house, a karaoke opened. I have complained to every local department; this includes going to the police and Tessaban (Amphour) most nights, but they look at me, what a stupid farang. I now have to close all windows and door, and turn up the TV, but I can still hear the boom boom in the background, then the very annoying high screech of a whore starts singing; and to further make matters worse, the Thai prick starts as a duo; this goes on till early hours in the morning

I have checked and they only have a license as a restaurant; one thing is for sure, if I owned the karaoke it would be shut down without question. Others have complained but my house is the nearest

The Thai Karaoke owner came to my house bragging, how he knows all the police and the boss in the Amphour; he even has a police radio, so he knows when I complain; he simply turns down the volume during a visit from the boys in blue, and then back up when all is gone; this makes it look like I am complaining for nothing

I did brave it one night and cut the mains going to the bar, but further antics would create problems.

Basically all I want is for the law to be applied to a Thai, as it would me.

I now know why Thai’s shoot each other!

Does anybody have a contact with authority that could help?

Regards

Jeremy

Is this in Pattaya?

Im sorry, I don't know anyone.. But be careful doing things like cutting the mains.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of people in Thailand have this problem and not much can be done about it. When I first moved here, I was living behind a bar. I got used to the noise after a while and then it closed down and moved away.

Edited by sbk

Yes, but its still Pattaya.. East Pattaya actually.. :o

I used to live down Soi Mapyailia 17 .. You are lucky you don't live near the Mosque or behind a school like I did!

Sorry for not having much advice about the karaoke!

The speakers belonging to the Mosque is coming further down and what with all the new building they will sonn be outside my house; then it will be time to go

ha- i sympathize. i moved into a house in a quiet village in koh phangan, edging on the jungle. i was looking forward to the peace and quiet. the very next day after i moved in, my next door neighbors opened a karaoke bar on the bottom floor of their house. and of course, thais have no concept of noise and from about 2pm until sometimes 6am the next morning they blasted me out with screeching music. i dreaded when the ladyboys came around, they stay forever.

all i can say is, you'll get used to it. i found myself humming along after awhile... and when it closed down about six months later (food was crap so everyone went to the other karaoke on the other side of the village), i actually missed it a little. :o

ha- i sympathize. i moved into a house in a quiet village in koh phangan, edging on the jungle. i was looking forward to the peace and quiet. the very next day after i moved in, my next door neighbors opened a karaoke bar on the bottom floor of their house. and of course, thais have no concept of noise and from about 2pm until sometimes 6am the next morning they blasted me out with screeching music. i dreaded when the ladyboys came around, they stay forever.

all i can say is, you'll get used to it. i found myself humming along after awhile... and when it closed down about six months later (food was crap so everyone went to the other karaoke on the other side of the village), i actually missed it a little. :o

Normal background music is ok but as you say it's all or nothing; just like their driving either riding the clutch in fourth or eyeballs on springs, white knuckled and flat out

Haha, I agree.. I was the same way with the Bar/Pub I used to live behind.. I even knew the song order they would play every night..

Luckily for me it was a proper band with a very good lady singer..

I dont think I could enjoy living next to a karaoke though, having heard some of the Thai's sing after a few drinks... :D :D

Normal background music is ok but as you say it's all or nothing; just like their driving either riding the clutch in fourth or eyeballs on springs, white knuckled and flat out

:D :D

Haha, I agree.. I was the same way with the Bar/Pub I used to live behind.. I even knew the song order they would play every night..

Luckily for me it was a proper band with a very good lady singer..

I dont think I could enjoy living next to a karaoke though, having heard some of the Thai's sing after a few drinks... :D :D

A few drinks, they don't know when to stop.

I was the same way with the Bar/Pub I used to live behind.. I even knew the song order they would play every night..

oh i forgot! on the other side of me opened a "nightclub", booming house music all night. that guy still manages to piss off the whole village two nights a week.

What is that all too common answer to whingers , moaners, complainers etc ? Ah yes , it just came back to me slightly modified "The airport will be open shortly , you can always leave if you do not like it , we love thailand as it is "

LOL 555

Karakoke is Japan's revenge on the world for Hiroshima.

I have great symapthies for you but you have only three choices:-

1. Get used to it/join in and hope it eventually closes down/moves away.

2. Move.

3. Phone the UDD, or whatever the pro government lot call themselves, and tell them the PAD is having a victory party next door. If you speak nicely they might let you have a go with a grenade launcher. Watch yourself though, those 40mm beasts have quite a recoil.

Fight fire with a bigger fire. It may cost you a small chunk of cash to forklift and install giant sub woofers and tweeters facing the karaoke, but the expressions on the bar customers' faces after you blast a version of "Alvin and the Chipmunks" day after day will be priceless! :o

This is a big down side of life in Thailand. You never know what is going to happen to you next door, and you have no rights and nothing is regulated. No one is willing to complain even when they too are not happy. I used to have a keep fit hall on the next estate blasting every evening. That stopped. New we have a car stereo shop about a kilometer away that blasts music so loud we can hear it! When we come to Thailand we kiss goodbye to all levels of consideration that you are used to in your home country.

Having thought about it for some time the only thing I can compare it to is the 'ice cream' van in the UK. A van drives around playing music in the afternoons. No one ever complains about it and most folf like it.. We get used to it. I guess the thais feel the same way about all their many forms of noise.

Karakoke is Japan's revenge on the world for Hiroshima.

3. Phone the UDD, or whatever the pro government lot call themselves, and tell them the PAD is having a victory party next door. If you speak nicely they might let you have a go with a grenade launcher. Watch yourself though, those 40mm beasts have quite a recoil.

I like your style Phil :o

My Thai Father-in-law even complained to the police about the karaoke next door. And no, they did nothing. So, its not just farangs who have to put up with this but Thais as well.

My property sits adjacent to a 5 rai lake , 6 months ago a house was built across and now it's karaoke at 3 and Boom Boom Boom of music goes on all the time too, the sound really travel across the water.

JUst more evidence of the Thai undeserved rep for consideration .

I have a theory it'a all about not wanting to have quiet as that leads to self reflection and thought.

Fight fire with a bigger fire. It may cost you a small chunk of cash to forklift and install giant sub woofers and tweeters facing the karaoke, but the expressions on the bar customers' faces after you blast a version of "Alvin and the Chipmunks" day after day will be priceless! :o

Led Zeppelin, opening bars of " Whole Lotta Love" at about 200 decibels, over and over and over .

Karaoke, never before in the history of mankind have some people been so unaware of their shortcomings...

I´ve said it before and say it again; if you retaliate by blasting your own music you could end up in trouble BUT find a clip on youtube of screaming/crying babies. Blast it at maximum volume every time they "sing". If they compliant; "Sorry my baby want to sleep and he don´t like your singing".

Fight fire with a bigger fire. It may cost you a small chunk of cash to forklift and install giant sub woofers and tweeters facing the karaoke, but the expressions on the bar customers' faces after you blast a version of "Alvin and the Chipmunks" day after day will be priceless! :D

Led Zeppelin, opening bars of " Whole Lotta Love" at about 200 decibels, over and over and over .

Nah. Thais can appreciate this great tune. As suggested earlier, classical music would be more efficient if you want to "fight the fire with a bigger fire", and I would suggest Mozart's scene "A cenar teco" from Don Giovanni or the first movement of "Winter" (L'Inverno) from Vivaldi's Four Seasons (Le Quatro Stagioni).

Not sure that it is a good idea though. You might hear another music then, of the kind that is often played with instruments popularized by Samuel Colt, Horace Smith & Daniel B. Wesson, etc.

The OP may have more luck if he can prove that the karaoke owner employs underage workers for instance... or have illegal activities (illegal substances are often found by police in certain businesses operated by "undesirable" people...) even "unknowingly". :D:o

More seriously, I would suggest to the OP to be very careful and to try to find a "safe" solution with his noisy neighbor. Consulting a lawyer might help if it doesn't work.

Have just checked the internet on this subject and found that you are not alone!

The Beauty of Silence Project: Noise Pollution in Thailand

by SOMRUDEE NICRO, Thailand Cultural Environment Fund10

Introduction

The Thailand Cultural Environment Fund (Thailand CEF) and its partners are currently engaged in a six-month campaign and research project to address noise pollution in Thailand. Among the project’s other objectives, the project team hopes it will provide a model for collaboration between the private sector, the government, and civil society. The campaign and research targets the general public and government agencies at all levels.

Purpose and Goals of the Project

The Beauty of Silence campaign seeks to achieve the following objectives:

To increase public awareness about the consequences of harmful noise and to motivate individuals to take action against noise pollution;

To study and survey the current noise pollution situation and the public’s attitude towards noise. Particular emphasis will be given to the areas that are most relevant to daily life (e.g., the environments in office buildings, schools, parks, theaters, department stores); and

To encourage the public to rediscover and appreciate the beauty of silence and a peaceful culture.

Key Participants

The Thailand CEF is the lead organization. Thailand CEF is joined in the campaign by the following current and potential partners:

The Thailand Business Council for Sustainable Development (TBCSD). This is a nonprofit association of private business representatives.

The Pollution Control Department of the Thai Ministry for Natural Resources and the Environment

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA)

The Society of Environmental Journalists

The Thailand Cycling Club

Selected enterprises (e.g., shopping centers and hospitals).

Activities

This project involves research and a public campaign to reduce noise pollution in Thailand. The research component of the project will seek to draw a picture of the current level of noise pollution and also to survey the public in order to learn more about general attitudes toward noise. The campaign component of the project will work to increase public awareness about the problem of noise pollution and to encourage leaders in communities to address the issue. These components will be carried out through a campaign launch event, mass media, and meetings to plan and assess the results with the project partners.

Methods, Means and Approaches Used

The heart of this project is the collaboration between the private sector, the government, and civil society. The TBCSD is an innovative approach to making the private sector a part of environmental problem-solving. Business representatives who are members of the TBCSD have created a non-profit organization and located its secretariat within another nonprofit, the Thailand Environment Institute. The Thailand CEF and the TBCSD then approached the Thai government to gain its support for the project and campaign. Thus, the project represents a focused effort that combines the strengths of all three sectors of society. Additionally, the presence of private sector representatives on the project team helps to encourage other private enterprises to support campaign activities.

Anticipated Results and Outcomes

The project anticipates the following outcomes:

Increased public awareness of the importance of noise control.

Increased respect among current noise polluters for the rights of others to a noisefree environment

Increased enforcement of noise laws and regulations to create a better quality of life for citizens.

A foundation for additional noise awareness-raising campaigns to be held in the future.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10 The Thailand CEF is under the Thailand Environment Foundation.

I see that one of the Key Participants is 'The Pollution Control Department of the Thai Ministry for Natural Resources and the Environment'.

Why don't you complain to them and the Mayors office and also go and consult a Lawyer to see where you legally stand. I know in Pattaya that there have been endless complaints about noise and now they have those meters to go and check. I don't know what they can do about it though.

Edited by joskydive

I have a theory it'a all about not wanting to have quiet as that leads to self reflection and thought.

The Thais certainly seem to like "noisy", that is for certain.

My favorite is when we go up to Mom's house, and the (large) family all comes over. They put the television up loud enough for "all to hear", then all talk over the television.

When they get in that mode, I usually take a walk about 300 m out into the paddies to the little "house" there. Get out the smart phone and do some web surfing. Nice and quiet.

I have 3 karaoke bars across the street from me plus one live music bar (Thai songs) and now a Thai restaurant with a big screen for the football! I can watch it from my balcony.

I am used to most of the noise - except the sudden burst by a screeching Thai, doing a LoSo song at 2:30a.m. Sunday nights, for some reason are usually the worst, and the latest -6:00a.m.is not unusual.

I did buy a "farang karaoke machine" when I opened up a little bar on KPG, planning to get revenge by inviting over farangs and singing Abba and Cindi Lauper at the top of our lungs... never got that far though and my little machine is sitting untouched.

JUst more evidence of the Thai undeserved rep for consideration .

You could be right there.

I have a theory that it is to do with the Thai fear of spirits and ghosts. I think that maybe the silence frightens them and this is why they prefer some noise at all times.

White noise . . . or more specifically very low frequency white noise.

The best subwoofers you can buy and a huge amp - crank it up.

At certain frequencies it'll cause people to have involuntary bowel movements - also in general it causes people to feel dizzy and sick.

Alternative alternating high and low frequency white noise will just mess with their heads sufficiently.

Both are used as interrogation breakers and the low frequency was tested as warfare weapon!

just give them a blast when they start to annoy or even better before they do! :o