Tourist Arrivals On Samui Down 50%

LaoPo

I have no idea what tourism was like before the tsunami,but i would guess visitors to samui post tsunami grew at the expense of phuket,so now the numbers have returned to phuket and consequently there are fewer visitors now coming to samui.am i right or wrong?

If i'm right then the expectations have to be downgraded,and samui will have to go back and settle for a smaller size of the cake.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday i missed the last boat to Samui coming from Penang.

how is possible to have an island with no connection after 6 pm? Do they need to put lights on the boat? It is obvious that people arriving from north or south will be late....

so please stop saying that all the Samui problems depends from Bkk Airways, they fly from 6am to 11pm.....

without them the island will be totally dead.

I will never leave the island on the ferry, airplane are cheaper and reliable, expecially when Firefly will start service to penang again.

ps: I missed the boat becouse one of the minivan was not full so the agency cancelled it, and everybody arrived late. Very thai style, less customer, up the price, cut the service, suggest a crap hotel as the finishing touch :o .

I have no idea what tourism was like before the tsunami,but i would guess visitors to samui post tsunami grew at the expense of phuket,so now the numbers have returned to phuket and consequently there are fewer visitors now coming to samui.am i right or wrong?

If i'm right then the expectations have to be downgraded,and samui will have to go back and settle for a smaller size of the cake.

Partly right, but the figures already went "back" in 2003/4... and because of endless development, more businesses will share same customers!

Same Cake more Feeders...and that is not only Samui.... Phangan sees a lot of development, Ko Tao, so the Andaman Seaside Resorts...and of course the "Rest of Thailand" also here there is no endless growth!

Authorities on Bali had the Guts, goodwill or enlightenment to limit the beds on the island...! I call that foresight!

have not been to bali,but have heard good reports that it is cheaper than thailand but that the beaches are n't so good.

your idea of sustainable development is of course good,but goes against the thai nature of greed.

on second thoughts,is it really about sustainable development or more about infrastructure spending?there's plenty of space still on the island,is n't it more about how to get more people to visit which brings us back to costs,flights etc,second airport,other carriers allowed to compete.

Edited by samuibeachcomber

the problem imo is not the ferry time but your bloody minivan co.....................dont tell me they took you to a nice cheap friendly hotel owned by their cousins,now that is very thai!

unfortunately not, it was just a trash place paying commission....

and I still don't understand why the ferry should stop at 6....

and the island do not need another airport, it is a small island, one is more than enough. Just hope that BKK air won't have financial problems (all US company are bankrupted, if the fuel will go up 20% flights will stop, we will use minivan :o )

it has 1 flight every hours, do you want more empty flight like the empty ferry I was on?

and the airplane are not ATR72, now the majority of flight are Airbus, so it is not easy to fill them, after a 1200 euro international flight......people simply will start avoiding long and useless trip for short vacation.

it all depends of the next xmas season, i do not think any european is in the mood to even think at the next vacation... :o

today I went for the usual breakfast and all the place close to my hotel were or close or with the cook arriving at 2 pm....

no more turists on Samui? All rent a bike shops are full of bike, are they going to double tye price to compensate for the missing customer? Am i going to pay 200 b for a coffe?

Nice place Thailand, you visit once and run away ......

samui04:
Yes, people are around but they spend very little....street vendor very pissed off....

All expensive restaurant are nearly empty, ...

Well, the street vendors that I know, the transplanted Burmese crowd, say things are good --

I want to revise my comment here. The tourists are "different" from before, as there are more from places in Eastern Europe and the "'stans" of Central Asia, but although the vendors I spoke with weren't "pissed off," they did say that these people are not buying much. I guess cheap sunglasses are out of their budget....

samui04:
Yes, people are around but they spend very little....street vendor very pissed off....

All expensive restaurant are nearly empty, ...

Well, the street vendors that I know, the transplanted Burmese crowd, say things are good --

I want to revise my comment here. The tourists are "different" from before, as there are more from places in Eastern Europe and the "'stans" of Central Asia, but although the vendors I spoke with weren't "pissed off," they did say that these people are not buying much. I guess cheap sunglasses are out of their budget....

I'm always wondering how a russian family can afford to come to Samui, even I know that russians tend to go on every country where they do not need visa (impossible to get)...

Russian single with very good looking "girl friend" can go wherever they want, even with a ruble down 30% in 1 month... :o

Turisst from Hong Kong sooner or later will came with stuff to sell, with samui street priced stuff they can sell it be 10 times less.. :D

during a crisis, most stable and normal thinking econmies will act IE reduce prices to attract buiness

so with this, to save Samui they must do the following

1) lower the airfare into Samui, start a 99 THB one way deal similar to AirAsia

2) hotels should heavily reduce rooms rates, take Ibis as an example 800 THB a night for a 3 star hotel ( they are fully booked cause of it ! )

3) restaurants should offer 20 - 50 % discounts on food, or run special offers and buffets..

4) bars and clubs should lower prices, instead of charing 100 THB - 150 THB a drink ( that is morre then the UK !! ) lower the prices to 50 - 70 THB

5) bring in proper public transport and BAN the taxis from ripping people off the moment they enter samui..

Anyone else care to add

The powers that be at the TAT can IMPLEMENT this !!!.........

But i suppose pig might fly !

You talking , writing our mind too !!

Better stay in BKK with this airfaires and prices in Samui !

Hotels, Taxis, Bars,

every one just want suck you out !!

to save Samui they must do the following

1) lower the airfare into Samui, start a 99 THB one way deal similar to AirAsia

the 99b fare should include full meal :o

and the mandatory bkk airways boutique taxi surcharge will be only 1000b, any destination (of course at lamai the driver will stop and dump everybody :D )....

Unfortunately Samui has managed to make a beautiful island into a rip off dump. Its the most expensive place in Thailand, the Sea is not clean, the roads are shameful!

The idea that Bangkok Airways have reduced their fuel surcharge is a joke. Why is there a surcharge? the price of Oil is cheapest right now... it should be zero..another example of Rip off Samui.

The taxis, other than being a nuisance, charges are exorbitant and rude. The Crime on the Island is growing by the minute and the Police are seen drinking in Late night bars whilst on duty.

The Hotels have put their prices up to the point where they are as expensive as some European destinations. There are so many empty shops that it looks closed down as the tourists that come here really do not want high priced copy products they can get for over half the price on Phuket or Pataya.

So what's new here, let's see:

Samui is an ugly sh*thole, you get ripped off everywhere you go, it's much more expensive than elsewhere and poor service, dirty beaches, unfriendly locals, high crime rate and probably the most corrupted police force in all Thailand....

Everybody knew that already no?

Forgetting the increasing costs of airfares. Which are marginally up due to fuel duties.

Exchange rate - now around 50baht to £1 sterling

room rate - 1200baht for the same room (50% increase in 3 years), not taking into consideration that I now get less baht to the pound sterling.

Drinks - A Bacardi Breezer was reported by my friend as now being 150baht at one of my old haunts.

So lets do the maths here with the exchange rate

A room that cost me £11.50 sterling now costs £24.00

A drink that cost me £1.27 sterling now costs £3.00

So in the good old days coming on holiday with £2000 to spend got me a wonderful time, now I would need to bring £4000 or even £5000 to have the equivelant enjoyment. You can cut out ringing the bell and you can eat at cheaper restaurants, but where is the fun in that when I'm on vacation.

LV

I don't think that you can discout the airline cost - as Feb 09 LHR-BKK £401 (Etihad) - cheaper than I've paid in a long time

Like you I like to visit Samui often - agreed re the cost of hotels - now happy that bought a house for £1.75m in 2003 having spend 15 holidays there over the last 5 years, and I'm 49 so many more to go!

I don't know how long your holidays are - but I spend 3 weeks at a time - so the cost is air fare and - well I've got to eat/drink in the UK so no extra then (apart from accountant fee each year and house cleaning when I'm not there)

OK - maybe some for a bike and girlfriend rent (still cheaper here than the UK)

charming

Unfortunately Samui has managed to make a beautiful island into a rip off dump. Its the most expensive place in Thailand, the Sea is not clean, the roads are shameful!

The idea that Bangkok Airways have reduced their fuel surcharge is a joke. Why is there a surcharge? the price of Oil is cheapest right now... it should be zero..another example of Rip off Samui.

The taxis, other than being a nuisance, charges are exorbitant and rude. The Crime on the Island is growing by the minute and the Police are seen drinking in Late night bars whilst on duty.

The Hotels have put their prices up to the point where they are as expensive as some European destinations. There are so many empty shops that it looks closed down as the tourists that come here really do not want high priced copy products they can get for over half the price on Phuket or Pataya.

Seems like I am living in hel_l.

Why you dont go to Phuket and Pattaya for a while and then come back here.

I think Mattias is getting ready for the fishing comp :D , he is practising the extension of a long line ,called TROLLING.

Wow, very good post. Infact i think it is one of the better you ever made when it comes to:

1: Humor

2: Timing

3: Value for the reader.

4: Intelligent contribution to the subject of the thread.

You are getting good roo, few more years of practising and you might be able to come up with a post that will be worth reading. Keep working!

Dear Matthias, you'll find that most members appreciate Rooo's posts very much, he's famous for his wit and knowledge. Yours on the other hand are getting more and more embarassing.

totally disagree :D

in any event...are you all now finally ready to admit that Matthias and I were and are correct? I don't see HD here anymore telling us how ethe hotel touts meeting has announced record tourist stats or that this is just the normal tourist cycle :D ...sure December/January was "same same" :o ...HD silence is golden :D

I think Mattias is getting ready for the fishing comp :D , he is practising the extension of a long line ,called TROLLING.

Wow, very good post. Infact i think it is one of the better you ever made when it comes to:

You are getting good roo, few more years of practising and you might be able to come up with a post that will be worth reading. Keep working!

Dear Matthias, you'll find that most members appreciate Rooo's posts very much, he's famous for his wit and knowledge. Yours on the other hand are getting more and more embarassing.

in any event...are you all now finally ready to admit that Matthias and I were and are correct? I don't see HD here anymore telling us how ethe hotel touts meeting has announced record tourist stats or that this is just the normal tourist cycle :D ...sure December/January was "same same" :o ...HD silence is golden :jerk:

Yeah, lets enjoy that while it lasts. :burp::wai: .

Allthough i´m pretty certain we will see yet another long post from hd, claiming to bring "facts" on how tourist numbers are great this year. (Don´t be surpriced if he provides some completely irrelevant links to that post aswell, he likes to do that. :D .)

Or is it dead enough here now for even the good old hd to admit and retreat? :P .

I have to say though, for me, personally, i enjoy this highseason more than any before. Its nice to not have the beach filled with tourists, parkingissues, trafficjams, queues and so on. Quiet but nice. :burp: .

just one more thing,dont you think its time to bury the hatchet with HD,two opposing views,agree to disagree.

I agree. Keep your personal issues out of the forum please, I don't think too many people are interested in reading it.

Lamai still seems pretty active in the evenings to me. I'm sort of wondering what is going on. I'd have thought it would have started to thin out, but then again, I am hearing a lot of accents around the strip that I haven't before. I even met a couple from Lithuania the other day...

Lamai still seems pretty active in the evenings to me. I'm sort of wondering what is going on. I'd have thought it would have started to thin out, but then again, I am hearing a lot of accents around the strip that I haven't before. I even met a couple from Lithuania the other day...

Flew in monday night,planes full,lots of eastern europeans.

mattias33 and boputed, I thought even you had to admitt that Samui is not dead, but has somewhere around 25% less tourists than last year. That is far from dead, but combined with the big increase of beds and shops on the island, that spells 'not enough to survive' for many businesses. And everybody with a little bit of brain knows that it will get much worse. A lot of shops/restaurants are closing already or will have to close soon (I hope!), which is really needed for the remaining businesses to have a sound customerbase.

What you apparently still can't grasp, is the fact that many shops/bars/restaurants/hotels are doing excellent on Samui, like our shop that makes about 20% more than last year. If you don't believe this stories, fine, go on ranting about Samui being dead, sorry when some of us don't answer very often because we're busy making money and trying to stay competitive. And you two guys can enjoy 'empty' beaches, roads, bars etc. . So why are we not all happy here but are arguing for 20 pages?

:o

Edited by longtom

"tornado" writes that he has to bring 4000-5000 pounds now because of the exchange rate - so how can this relate to being "Samui's fault"...

and todays forex rate £ = ThB is 49.55 that would make it nearly 200.000 Baht in which time frame you spending this money - you stay 2 or 3 weeks long?

Say you stay 2 weeks that would be a spending volume of some 14.000 Baht per DAY, quite some expenditure for a "average tourist"! :o

so much about this rant....

Things are a bit "calm" this season, but still if product. service and price is right, business is still good.... there's alos a lot of competition out there, and there still very simple market forces at work... and plenty of overpriced property, hotel rooms, restaurants and services.

99 Thb for a gflight bkk=usm is unrealistic, but 999 would help a lot - there are already "friend fares" available which are almost 50% off the fixed fare....

and as someone informs us the "IBIS" Bophut offers rooms from as low as 800 ThB.

in any event...are you all now finally ready to admit that Matthias and I were and are correct? I don't see HD here anymore telling us how ethe hotel touts meeting has announced record tourist stats or that this is just the normal tourist cycle :D ...sure December/January was "same same" :o ...HD silence is golden :D

yes silence is golden :wai:

i believe you should practice some of this silence instead of posting on on matters which you have:

1. no knowledge

2. no experience

3. no concern

Nothing to ad on the topic hd?

Seems like we finally agreed then. Now it is march so it is getting a little harder to say "wait and see" than it was in the begining of this thread i guess.....

Game over? :o .

what topic is that Mattias??

this topic started on December 3rd when you so innocently advised us all that October November a December are a dump and that samui tourism is going down and that Samui is in the slump. this was in reference to the situation in December.

do you still think that the peak season of December was bad.. do you still think that new year was a dump?

2008 was better then 2007 . but we will need to wait for the official stats. and don't worry i will be more then happy to post them once they are published.

the minute i understood that your information is based on having dinner with a kitchen chef of a hotel in fisherman's village or talking with some this and that friend in a bar i see no sense in continuing..

the fact remains that we all live in Samui and some of us like myself are invested in tourist businesses and we make it our business to know the facts. you know like actually trying to get tourists to come here and spend money...

many people are reading this forum and as can be seen by some posters they get a feeling that Samui is a sh..t

you and another poster who opens a new user every time just to post anti samui postings are not contributing to this by posting anti samui everything posts.

many people are reading this forum and as can be seen by some posters they get a feeling that Samui is a sh..t

There´s the reason why you keep on claiming samui is busy. You want to fool people that are not here. Makes sence. I was all the time thinking "man, this guy must be high on something more than diving, if he thinks samui is busy this season", but now when you presented your reasons i can understand. Thats also probably why you on the forum deny corruption and taxiscams like they dont at all exsist on samui. Maybe infact you are in timeshare or another scam buisness. "Fool them to come. Tell them what they want to hear and get the money out of them".

So, people reading this forum thinking about samui, come here, its the place everybody wants to be. Its so packed with tourists that i can´t begin to describe it. Corruption does not exsist here and all the taxis have taximeters. Food and accomondation is dirt cheap. Roads are perfect and flooding does not exsist. Flying here costs peanuts compare to anything in Europe and the only thing you need to think of if you plan on going here is to book a room long time in advance since the whole island is usually booked out. That goes for restaurant tables aswell. Bring your own chair to bars if you want to sit down. They are all packed.