Tourist Arrivals On Samui Down 50%

LaoPo

Thanks to a remark by member Mattias33 I think this article is worth it's own topic because it's important to the economy of Koh Samui, Koh Phangan & Koh Tao

Tourist arrivals on Samui down 50%

Tuesday, 02 December 2008 11:02

EVEN before Bangkok airports were shut down by anti-government protesters, tourism on Samui has been in the doldrums.

Room bookings for the high tourist season that starts December have gone down drastically, according to Mr. Phanu Voramit, director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand in Suratthani.

For this high season, bookings are only 60-70 percent of the hotel rooms available, compared to almost 100 percent during this time last year, Mr. Phanu said. Tourist arrivals in Thailand, as in other countries, have dipped due to the current global economic crisis. The country’s ongoing political crisis has further aggravated the already dire situation.

Bangkok Airways disclosed recently that the number of passengers arriving on the island has dropped 40-50 percent.

Mr. Sirichai Charoenrat, director of the Samui Airport, said most planes that land on Samui now are half empty. During this time last year, according to him, most Bangkok Airways flights to Samui were fully booked.

In a bid to encourage more people to travel, the airline has trimmed to 10 percent its fuel surcharge. Mr. Sirichai said he hoped more people would travel to Samui for the coming New Year celebration.

Mr. Phanu, on the other hand, said his would soon launch a tourism promotion campaign in neighboring countries like Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore to boost tourism arrivals on the island.

He hoped tourist from neighboring countries would fill in for the dearth of European tourists arriving on the island.

source: http://news.samuiexpress.net/headline/357-...ui-down-50.html

LaoPo

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question on this topic:

The tourism assosiation on samui, we have a memeber on this forum that claims he has close contacts with them and goes to their meetings, and apperently they are under the oppinion that samui tourism is going up this year. At the same time both the airport and tourism athority of Thailand says its going down 50 %. Planes half full.

So, tourism ass. of Samui, is useless. Close it down and stop spending your money, whoever pay.

The question then is what should be done? One thing i would suggest is to get a small peice of A4 paper for the tourists that leave samui to fill in while they wait for the ferry or their plane. A few questions. "did you like samui?", "will you come back next year?", "whats the best/worse", "why will you come back/not come back?".

The competition about tourists in shrinking numbers are tough, and only if they knew what direction they should go did they stand a chans as a tourist destination in the future. Right now they seem to be completely lost and even thinking they are doing good with increased numbers.

Thanks to a remark by member Mattias33 I think this article is worth it's own topic because it's important to the economy of Koh Samui, Koh Phangan & Koh Tao

EVEN before Bangkok airports were shut down by anti-government protesters, tourism on Samui has been in the doldrums.

Room bookings for the high tourist season that starts December have gone down drastically, according to Mr. Phanu Voramit, director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand in Suratthani.

For this high season, bookings are only 60-70 percent of the hotel rooms available, compared to almost 100 percent during this time last year, Mr. Phanu said. Tourist arrivals in Thailand, as in other countries, have dipped due to the current global economic crisis. The country's ongoing political crisis has further aggravated the already dire situation.

Bangkok Airways disclosed recently that the number of passengers arriving on the island has dropped 40-50 percent.

Mr. Sirichai Charoenrat, director of the Samui Airport, said most planes that land on Samui now are half empty. During this time last year, according to him, most Bangkok Airways flights to Samui were fully booked.

In a bid to encourage more people to travel, the airline has trimmed to 10 percent its fuel surcharge. Mr. Sirichai said he hoped more people would travel to Samui for the coming New Year celebration.

Mr. Phanu, on the other hand, said his would soon launch a tourism promotion campaign in neighboring countries like Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore to boost tourism arrivals on the island.

He hoped tourist from neighboring countries would fill in for the dearth of European tourists arriving on the island.

LaoPo

A few things I like to say to this here:

1. High season on Samui does not start in December, it starts around Christmas.

2. I don't think any hotel ran almost 100% during this time last year.

3. Therefore, planes were not almost full during this time last year.

4. Trimming 10% of fuel surcharge will not cut the cake, sorry !

5. A tourist promotion campaign in Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore will only yield minimal feedback.

Apart from that, business is slow....yes !

with respect to all those hard working investors who have put time and money into their businesses there , samui may just be starting to pay the price for the many years of tourists being treated like cash cows rather than being welcomed as visitors to that island.

the appaling road system , the blatant overcharging at almost every opportunity and last but not least the attitude of so many of the thais there towards visitors all have an effect on visitors memories and of their wish to return.

visually , once you step outside your resort/hotel , the place is just one big eyesore.

the island has a reputation now.

with so many other much better run and better value destinations available to try in this region , samui has almost become a "cliche" destination , like benidorm did , it shines brightly for a few years , and then slowly becomes boring , uncool , no fun , a place to avoid.

For this high season, bookings are only 60-70 percent of the hotel rooms available, compared to almost 100 percent during this time last year, Mr. Phanu said. Tourist arrivals in Thailand, as in other countries, have dipped due to the current global economic crisis. The country's ongoing political crisis has further aggravated the already dire situation.

LaoPo

Whilst I am not neccessarily doubting the statistics I do doubt anything Samui Express reports their articles are at best misleading and full of inaccuracies and some simply not true.

There is a picture in the newspaper next to the above article of Chaweng Beach with only a few tourists on it and the caption underneath (not exact quote as I do not have paper to hand) 'Chaweng Beach deserted it is normally packed with tourists this time of year'. Now bearing in mind for this picture to have made the current edition this would have to of been taken in November does anyone on this forum ever remember Chaweng Beach packed with tourists at the depths of the low season which is also the rainy season, November has always been and probably always will be the quietest month of the year.

Obviously it is quiet but don't belive everything you read in Samui Express it is only for toilet reading and it should be left there.

Whilst I am not neccessarily doubting the statistics I do doubt anything Samui Express reports their articles are at best misleading and full of inaccuracies and some simply not true.

A fair point- their fact-checking leaves much to be desired- I gave up on them a while back when they reported that (for 2006, I believe, but I could be wrong) tourist arrivals were actually higher in Samui for the year than they were in Bangkok (30 seconds on Google could have exposed how wild an inaccuracy that was :o ).

There is a picture in the newspaper next to the above article of Chaweng Beach with only a few tourists on it and the caption underneath (not exact quote as I do not have paper to hand) 'Chaweng Beach deserted it is normally packed with tourists this time of year'. Now bearing in mind for this picture to have made the current edition this would have to of been taken in November does anyone on this forum ever remember Chaweng Beach packed with tourists at the depths of the low season which is also the rainy season, November has always been and probably always will be the quietest month of the year.

Obviously it is quiet but don't belive everything you read in Samui Express it is only for toilet reading and it should be left there.

Hmmmm...I can't judge about the quality of the Samui Express but to deny statistical facts from the Thai tourism agency is not wise. The facts are out there that tourism, especially also from (East) Asia is dropping dramatic in the past 3 to 4 months.

It all started in July - August and it will become much worse....a LOT worse in 2009 !

LaoPo

during a crisis, most stable and normal thinking econmies will act IE reduce prices to attract buiness

so with this, to save Samui they must do the following

1) lower the airfare into Samui, start a 99 THB one way deal similar to AirAsia

2) hotels should heavily reduce rooms rates, take Ibis as an example 800 THB a night for a 3 star hotel ( they are fully booked cause of it ! )

3) restaurants should offer 20 - 50 % discounts on food, or run special offers and buffets..

4) bars and clubs should lower prices, instead of charing 100 THB - 150 THB a drink ( that is morre then the UK !! ) lower the prices to 50 - 70 THB

5) bring in proper public transport and BAN the taxis from ripping people off the moment they enter samui..

Anyone else care to add

The powers that be at the TAT can IMPLEMENT this !!!.........

But i suppose pig might fly !

during a crisis, most stable and normal thinking econmies will act IE reduce prices to attract buiness

2) hotels should heavily reduce rooms rates, take Ibis as an example 800 THB a night for a 3 star hotel ( they are fully booked cause of it ! )

3) restaurants should offer 20 - 50 % discounts on food, or run special offers and buffets..

4) bars and clubs should lower prices, instead of charing 100 THB - 150 THB a drink ( that is morre then the UK !! ) lower the prices to 50 - 70 THB

5) bring in proper public transport and BAN the taxis from ripping people off the moment they enter samui..

Anyone else care to add

Are you kidding? Do you think they have the power to dictate what the rates/prices of private businesses will be?

The problem with your plan is that it takes five minutes to knock down prices, but it takes years to bring them back up again- if your rate is currently 5K per night for a room and you drop it to 3K, good luck trying to get it back to 5K in anything approaching a reasonable period of time.

There is nothing wrong with a promotion that offers good deals, but slashing prices across the board is not the answer.

with respect to all those hard working investors who have put time and money into their businesses there , samui may just be starting to pay the price for the many years of tourists being treated like cash cows rather than being welcomed as visitors to that island.

the appaling road system , the blatant overcharging at almost every opportunity and last but not least the attitude of so many of the thais there towards visitors all have an effect on visitors memories and of their wish to return.

visually , once you step outside your resort/hotel , the place is just one big eyesore.

the island has a reputation now.

with so many other much better run and better value destinations available to try in this region , samui has almost become a "cliche" destination , like benidorm did , it shines brightly for a few years , and then slowly becomes boring , uncool , no fun , a place to avoid.

spot on 100% on the money ,good post.

Anyone else care to add

yes,set up a task force to keep the beaches and foreshores clean,educate everyone to keep their beach area clean,and please fix up the roads.

Anyone else care to add

1. the ''economics'' you're describing from #1 to #5 is called deflation and is a dangerous game...***

2. the die-hard tourists -still- coming to Thailand, whether from Asia (declining dramatically), OZ/NZ, Americas (declining) or Europe (starting to decline) WILL come anyway; most of them pre-book and pre-pay their holidays in their various home countries.

3. TAT can't implement your ''solutions'' ; they have no power to force them.

4. BKK Airways won't lower their prices as you suggest; they've never been a price fighter; they were/are a niece market airline; built three airports themselves and steadily expand to other destinations -outside Thailand also- than the big ones fly to. They cleverly chose destinations with people who have money, like Singapore and Hong Kong and adding destinations in China and elsewhere.

But in these days tourists, even from those destinations, stay away due to the world wide crisis.

Airlines won't cut in prices to lure passengers but will cut in their flying capacity as Delta Airlines just did, today, with 6-8% and flying with MORE passengers on a single flight by increasing seat-configuration.

edit:

*** after I wrote this I came across an interesting article..explaining the deflation danger:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-1...n-problem_N.htm

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Hmmmm...I can't judge about the quality of the Samui Express but to deny statistical facts from the Thai tourism agency is not wise. The facts are out there that tourism, especially also from (East) Asia is dropping dramatic in the past 3 to 4 months.

It all started in July - August and it will become much worse....a LOT worse in 2009 !

LaoPo

Please read my post again where did I deny that it is quiet I actually said I do not neccessary doubt the statistics!!!

LaoPo

Also I wouldn't quote 'statistical facts' from Samui Express before they are independently verified I think that is most unwise.

Remember we are still in low season hotels have always been quiet this time of year the true test will be what it is like in about 2 weeks time when high season starts.

LaoPo

Please read my post again where did I deny that it is quiet I actually said I do not neccessary doubt the statistics!!!

I'm sorry; my message was not meant to attack you in any way but merely a ''thought''-message about tourism to Samui.

Boater: I just edited my previous message #17 (I believe) regarding the 'deflation' danger.

LaoPo

The tourism assosiation on samui, we have a memeber on this forum that claims he has close contacts with them and goes to their meetings, and apperently they are under the oppinion that samui tourism is going up this year. At the same time both the airport and tourism athority of Thailand says its going down 50 %. Planes half full.

So, tourism ass. of Samui, is useless. Close it down and stop spending your money, whoever pay.

The question then is what should be done? One thing i would suggest is to get a small peice of A4 paper for the tourists that leave samui to fill in while they wait for the ferry or their plane. A few questions. "did you like samui?", "will you come back next year?", "whats the best/worse", "why will you come back/not come back?".

The competition about tourists in shrinking numbers are tough, and only if they knew what direction they should go did they stand a chans as a tourist destination in the future. Right now they seem to be completely lost and even thinking they are doing good with increased numbers.

Has all be done before by the THA hotel members, in 2000 I think, result was and anyone correct me, worst part were jet skis and loud music from discos etc..... All resulted in very little to nothing.

Also I wouldn't quote 'statistical facts' from Samui Express before they are independently verified I think that is most unwise.

Remember we are still in low season hotels have always been quiet this time of year the true test will be what it is like in about 2 weeks time when high season starts.

As far as I read the article the news source was quoting the director from TAT and a report from Bangkok Airways ?

I have never seen a source with Samui (and Phangan/Tao) statistics; the only one I am consulting is the Office of Tourism Development which is now publishing the tourism statistics. This was formerly done by the TAT.

http://www.tourism.go.th/index.php?option=...0&Itemid=25

I warn you chaps...it's an ''impossible'' website and very difficult to ''read''; much more so than before with TAT. :o

LaoPo

Anyone else care to add

While some people tend to not take this post seriously, i for one do. I think you are 100% spot on. This is the radical thinking samui tourism assosiation need to take on, if they want to gain back from phuket, bali, etc.

Unfortunately when they sit on meetings and hold their head high saying that samui tourism is doing better and better, it´s not lightlely such changes will come.

To be honest i have 0 investments in tourism buisness and apart from a few agent missions i dont really care about samui tourism Definately not depending on it, and actually having a more peiceful life without the tourists around. I´m ready to watch this circus from a distance and have a "i told you so" - drink in a few years when they start tearing down the hotels they built. (my god the masses of construction material that needs to be fraighted of this island!).

But if i took on a job for samui tourism assosiation, or in any other way came across their meetings, i would like to make them realize that if they dont follow the above instructions from boater very soon, and start taking serious action, samui tourism is dead within 5 years.

Has all be done before by the THA hotel members, in 2000 I think, result was and anyone correct me, worst part were jet skis and loud music from discos etc..... All resulted in very little to nothing.

with all due respect the face of tourisim in koh samui has changed quiet a bit since 2000. i.e where is charlie hut and the back packers that filled its rooms :o

with all due respect the face of tourisim in koh samui has changed quiet a bit since 2000. i.e where is charlie hut and the back packers that filled its rooms :o

Charlies Hut is opposite maya buri resort nowadays, no clue if it is the same as before though. The backpackers are probably long gone i would guess....

Unfortunately when they sit on meetings and hold their head high saying that samui tourism is doing better and better, it´s not lightlely such changes will come.

I don't know where you're getting your (incorrect) information (which seems to be second-hand), but I know a lot of people in the hotel and tourist industry on the island (including members of the various organizations), and ALL of them are saying how bad business has been this year- nobody is claiming that things have been better in recent times.

The big problem with maintaining or increasing tourist numbers ( let's ignore the economic situation for a moment ) IMO, is quite simple. CUSTOMER CARE. The local govt caring about providing infrastructure to support development. Hotel owners offering reasonable accommodation at a fair price. Taxi drivers who don't view potential customers as potential victims to be fleeced. Etc etc....

Too many people take the short term view of a quick profit which eventually leads to the demise of the local tourism industry. Once a destination has a reputation as a "rip off" joint it'll take many many years to recover, if ever. So the choice is simple, provide a quality product with customer care and reap the rewards or watch the ship sink.

Merely my opinion.

Replying to Tourist Arrivals On Samui Down 50%

says the "highly reputeable Samui Express in low season" very bad journalism keep on pouring oil in the flames!

It is absolutely normal this time of the year for samui, nothing of the extraordinary, nobody mentioned in this connection the oversupply of rooms and construction of many new places is still going on this article is 89.9% BS!

with the airport problems it's understandable that tourists are using ferries instead of airplanes

Yes!

And many other factors, 36 Room Hotel is booked out over years end and Christmas, as usual and so far one cancellation!

Member "Judas" got a point there somewhere too, still don't think this weights in a lot, a bit - yes!

Especially the pricing, some places pushed their service prices up in the aftermath of the tsunami, this will correct downwards, because the demand has dwindled, they are loosing out big time and they are the ones making the noise!

Sorry, but it's the way I perceive the situation!

Businesses who have build a solid customer base, not robbing them either, with a good service and satisfying package will suffer too, but make it through.

In October it ws claimed down some 20-30% we have been "down" 8% that is compared to last year, same time....

Edited by Samuian

The big problem with maintaining or increasing tourist numbers ( let's ignore the economic situation for a moment ) IMO, is quite simple. CUSTOMER CARE. The local govt caring about providing infrastructure to support development. Hotel owners offering reasonable accommodation at a fair price. Taxi drivers who don't view potential customers as potential victims to be fleeced. Etc etc....

Too many people take the short term view of a quick profit which eventually leads to the demise of the local tourism industry. Once a destination has a reputation as a "rip off" joint it'll take many many years to recover, if ever. So the choice is simple, provide a quality product with customer care and reap the rewards or watch the ship sink.

Merely my opinion.

i read a stat once that said: for every complaint recieved there were 70 others who felt the same way but did not take the time to complain. If numbers like that are applied to samui it is no wonder that tourisim is on the decline. The Tsunami was a window of opportunity to show a huge influx of new tourist the best side of samui and it was waisted due to many of the reasons in previous post i.e. short sighted view towards long term business. SAD