United Airlines Resumes Bangkok To Narita Service

george

United. Resumes Bangkok to Narita Service

as Suvarnabhumi International Airport Reopens

United Airlines announces resumption of our daily service between Bangkok and Narita effective December 5th as Suvarnabhumi International Airport reopens.

Flight 890 servicing Bangkok / Narita / Los Angeles / New York JFK is scheduled to depart Bangkok at 06.40 hrs.

United customers with confirmed and ticketed reservations on Flight 890 for travel on or after December 5th may proceed and check in as normal. United. customers affected by flight cancellation between November 25th and December 4th wishing to travel on Flight 890 on or after December 5th shall need to contact United. Reservations at telephone 02 353-3939 or Ticketing at the given address below for flight rebooking and/or ticket reissue.

Office hours are as follows:

Date, Hours

Thursday, December 4th

08:00 - 17:00 hrs.

Friday, December 5th (Legal Holiday)

09:00 - 15:00 hrs.

Saturday, December 6th

09:00 - 12:00 hrs.

Sunday, December 7th

Closed

Monday, December 8th

Normal business hours of 08:00 - 17:00 hrs. resume

United Check-In Information

Departure Level 4, Passenger Terminal Building, Suvarnabhumi International Airport

Entry Doors # 5 and 6 (curbside)

Check-in Island L

Check-in Positions 1 – 10

Check-in counters for true United. operated flight are open three hours prior to departure. The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) mandates all passengers traveling on a U.S. carrier must individually pass through security profiling formality and identify their own bags at time of flight check-in. We therefore recommend that passengers check in for their flight at least two hours prior to the scheduled departure time. All passengers are advised that check-in counters are closed one hour prior to scheduled departure time.

Separate United FirstSM, United BusinessSM and Star Alliance. Gold check-in areas are available.

At the entrance to the gate lobby, additional security profiling formality and hand search of carry-on baggage and other items will be performed due to regulations of the U.S. Transportation Security Administration. All passengers are therefore advised to avail themselves at the boarding area at least thirty minutes prior to the scheduled departure time. United departure gate closes promptly at 06.30 hrs.

UNITED AIRLINES

TMB Bank Silom Building, 6th Floor, 393 Silom Road, Bangkok 10500, Thailand

Telephone (662) 353 – 3990 ; Fax (662) 353 – 3991

I have taken that flight many times. Why just them?

Many people like to trash on United and I don't know why. Their website kept people informed and they look to be the first to get their customers out. I have a ticket with JAL to fly in on the 11th and they have kept me in the dark. I sure hope I make it, would hate to lose my yearly holiday.

Way to go United.....

Many people like to trash on United and I don't know why. Their website kept people informed and they look to be the first to get their customers out. I have a ticket with JAL to fly in on the 11th and they have kept me in the dark. I sure hope I make it, would hate to lose my yearly holiday.

Way to go United.....

People trash United because their service is awful. I have flown with them many times (my friend works for them also). In one trip I was cancelled, re-routed, baggage was lost, re-routed, and on the way back cancelled, re-routed, forced to push my way onto an overbooked flight, and more was baggage lost. It was a nightmare. Their on-time performance and the number of lost bags is also very high comparative to other airlines in the industry.

However I am happy to see they are resuming service. Hopefully the other airlines will follow.

FYI -

As of this moment United has canceled the 5th Flight, but is expecting to operate the flight on the 6th pending approval from TSA who is supposedly currently investigating the airport security. If the TSA rept gives approval, the flight on the 6th will happen.

-Jim

Way to go United.....

Way to go ?

They were unable to help their passengers during the closure

JAL ANA and many other carriers flew into other airports like Chiang Mai/Phuket and U-Tapao

The service on board including food and drinks is below standard (and I am talking Business and First class)

They very very regularly cancel flights to suit their own scheduling out of Narita or combine 2 flights to save cost

Not a passenger friendly airline but maybe a good business model for themselves

Way to go United.....

Way to go ?

JAL ANA and many other carriers flew into other airports like Chiang Mai/Phuket and U-Tapao

The service on board including food and drinks is below standard (and I am talking Business and First class)

They very very regularly cancel flights to suit their own scheduling out of Narita or combine 2 flights to save cost

In their defense, the only reason United did not fly out of U-Tapao is because TSA would not certify it. Because the only route united flys out of Bangkok is a "American Bound" route (the flight number is the same Bangkok->Narita->LA->NY), even if it is stopping in Narita, the TSA must approve the airports security before they allow united to fly it. From what I also understand TSA's certification has a lot more to do with bag security and not passenter/carry on security. Now could they have created a whole new flight number that just got people to Narita? I don't know, I don't know what is involved in that. It may be because the are "an american flag carrier" they have to follow the TSA rules no matter where they are flying.

Even right now the flight scheduled for the 6th is "pending TSA's final approval" and has a possiblity of not happening.

Way to go United.....

Way to go ?

In their defense, the only reason United did not fly out of U-Tapao is because TSA would not certify it. Because the only route united flys out of Bangkok is a "American Bound" route (the flight number is the same Bangkok->Narita->LA->NY), even if it is stopping in Narita, the TSA must approve the airports security before they allow united to fly it. From what I also understand TSA's certification has a lot more to do with bag security and not passenter/carry on security. Now could they have created a whole new flight number that just got people to Narita? I don't know, I don't know what is involved in that. It may be because the are "an american flag carrier" they have to follow the TSA rules no matter where they are flying.

Even right now the flight scheduled for the 6th is "pending TSA's final approval" and has a possiblity of not happening.

TG managed to fly from Bangkok to Los Angeles through Osaka during the closure

Way to go United.....

Way to go ?

A) TG is not an American flag carrier

:o was it the same flight number the whole way or did it change in Osaka

C) TG has vast more resources than United's one route in Bangkok

Edited by jimf

Way to go United.....

Way to go ?

They should have checked their TSA approval before announcing the re-start of their BKK flights

Only UA is not flying between Bangkok and Tokyo today.....happy UA customers indeed

Way to go United.....

Way to go ?

They should have checked their TSA approval before announcing the re-start of their BKK flights

Only UA is not flying between Bangkok and Tokyo today.....happy UA customers indeed

Not so. United flight 22 out of BKK to NRT was also canceled on the 5th.

"Note: Canceled due to airport conditions"

NWA flight 20 from Sing-NRT-MSP is flying of course. That's the connection I catch in Tokyo.

I've flown both the UA and NWA flights many times and I've never had issues with the international legs, other than the crabby old trolley dollies. It's only back stateside that I run into problems, particularly flying into ORD or DEN with UA. That's why the last two years I'm stuck on NWA. It's just a one hopper from MSP to NRT to BKK for me.

Once they get the security issues worked out I'm sure the American flag carriers will be very happy to be back in business again. If TSA is not satisfied I don't want to be on the plane.

~WISteve

Way to go United.....

Way to go ?

NWA flight 20 from Sing-NRT-MSP is flying of course. That's the connection I catch in Tokyo.

I've flown both the UA and NWA flights many times and I've never had issues with the international legs, other than the crabby old trolley dollies. It's only back stateside that I run into problems, particularly flying into ORD or DEN with UA. That's why the last two years I'm stuck on NWA. It's just a one hopper from MSP to NRT to BKK for me.

Once they get the security issues worked out I'm sure the American flag carriers will be very happy to be back in business again. If TSA is not satisfied I don't want to be on the plane.

~WISteve

Good it shows UA and NW are doing things right for some of their customers

~WISteve

There is no UA flight 22? At least international, there is one that goes LAX to JFK. Are you thinking of the code share they do with Nippon airways? There is only one United owned/operated flight to/from Bangkok and its the one to Japan.. it does however change flight numbers when they change it from a 777 to 747, which they have been going back and forth with lately.

I just don't think its fair to give united all the grief. They wanted to start on the 5th and fully expected they could, until TSA said they would not be in to inspect the airport until the 4th. I just got called this morning by United saying they were cleared for tomorrows flight on the 6th. I mean, at least they said SOMETHING, many arilines were not saying anything..... it was kind of a loose/loose situation you try and keep people informed, but you cant really know when you can fly agian.. you get a date wrong people hate you, you dont say anything, people hate you. They have constantly kept me updated with my trip status etc. They have always been good to me as well, sure they have older flight attendants, but I could care less personally - I just want my food and then to sleep without interruption... don't care who's serving =) I don't fly United domestic much, but i have heard they can be rude, but then again, so are the continental flight attendants when I fly them... I think its just an american thing =P the asian flight attendants are always so nice!

Edited by jimf

As I type this, Northwest flight NW21 is currently enroute, scheduled to land at BKK in about 3 hours. This flight originates in Honolulu, stops in Narita, and continues on to Suvarnabhumi. I would consider this good news for United passengers hoping to catch flight UA891 (JFK -> LAX -> NRT -> BKK), as the only other American flag carrier (NW) is now operating service to BKK.

A quick check of UA's website shows that while UA891 departing Narita on Dec 6th has been cancelled, the same flight departing NRT on Dec 7th is scheduled to operate.

Sorry, I mis-typed that one.

The NWA flight 22 is the BKK>NRT and ultimately to Honolulu flight I have taken the last 10 flights or so.

It was canceled as well as the UA 891 out of BKK on the 5th of December. Another poster said that United was the only US flag carrier that had canceled flights on the 5th.

I like both the UA and the NWA flights out of BKK. I find their international flights are usually on time and the service is reasonable and they are price competitive from my home airport (MSP). Where I have had problems with them isn't internationally, but on the short hops in the States. I've been delayed nearly half the time it seems and have spent my share of nights sleeping in airports with them when I have to fly into ORD or DEN. That is why I now prefer the NWA flight 19 & 21 from MSP-NRT-BKK and the return route of NW 22 & 20. I'm international all the way with that arrangement. NWA is my carrier of choice when I'm Bangkok bound with 20 hours over and 18 hours back. From the Midwest that's about as quick as it gets. And while I used to have a bad attitude about the midnight arrivals, it does have some advantages, i.e. minimum traffic at that time of night.

Good to hear they are back flying again on the 7th.

~WISteve

FYI -

As of this moment United has canceled the 5th Flight, but is expecting to operate the flight on the 6th pending approval from TSA who is supposedly currently investigating the airport security. If the TSA rept gives approval, the flight on the 6th will happen.

-Jim

The TSA guy was in Rainbow 4 at NEP last night. He said he was happy enough with the airport but reckoned #124 was really hot.

I dislike UAL, but fair is fair and the flight disruptions were due in large part to security concerns. UAL had very legitimate issues and it was their right and obligation to be prudent. As a US flag carrier it is subject to a more extensive array of litigation issues.

If you were an executive of UAL, would you have been willing to risk the life and safety of customers, aircrews and equipment to maintain the limited flight schedule? Bear in mind that the flight crews are governed by collective agreements and state laws that allow the crews to avoid work situations which present a threat to the life and safety of those crews. It may have been difficult for UAL to force crews to fly into an airport where the security situation was iffy. As well, the outbound flights may not even of have had enough PAX to justify the equipment flying.

Edited by geriatrickid

Just FYI I departed on-time this morning DEC 6th on UA 890 with no problems, the airport was not that busy, and check-in/immigration went smoothly.

As a nice bonus the plane was a newly reconfigured 747 - so it had those fancy new seats that I had not gotten to experience before... bit thumbs up, complete lie-flat in buisness with big widescreen LCD monitors. Two thumbs up. Only downside was the new seat configuration was temporary, as it was normally the Hong Kong -> LA routes plane.