Bangkok Tea Party

JamesC

I was rather dismayed to find that the price of 25 Lipton tea bags seems to have jumped from about 59 baht to about 68 baht in Tesco and 711. With the 30% devaluation of the pound, this is a pretty hefty price to pay for a daily necessity. No doubt there is a good reason for the jump (more profits?)! Anyway, Tops have started doing a very nice English breakfast tea for around 89 baht for 50 teabags, so I recommend that for poor Brits. Any other tea suggestions welcome! :o

I was rather dismayed to find that the price of 25 Lipton tea bags seems to have jumped from about 59 baht to about 68 baht in Tesco and 711. With the 30% devaluation of the pound, this is a pretty hefty price to pay for a daily necessity. No doubt there is a good reason for the jump (more profits?)! Anyway, Tops have started doing a very nice English breakfast tea for around 89 baht for 50 teabags, so I recommend that for poor Brits. Any other tea suggestions welcome! :o

will somone please import PG tips,now thats proper tea or dilmar.

• 2 months later...

Perhaps if you recycle them (use them 2 - 3 times) :D

the price of 25 Lipton tea bags seems to have jumped from about 59 baht to about 68 baht in Tesco and 711

Christ 9 baht increase!!!! .an outrage!! Who is responsible!!!

Time to go home mate i think if 9 baht has become a concern.

Apart from that cannot go wrong with PG Tips from Tops or Villa although the OP may have a heart attack when he sees the price :s

Edited by namoo

Agreed Namoo - what!!! The shock of it... 9 baht increase in price during a world recession??? Who would have thought it possible??? Shocking indeed, deary me what to do? What rot...

Surely thats enough to make someone drink coffee....or Chang.

I normally drink Twinings Earl Grey tea and here in New Zealand it is about 1/4 the price in Thailand so every time I come back I usually bring 2 or 3 boxes with me for when I stay at home for long periods.

Twinings Earl Grey are probably the best teabags that are readily available. If I go to Central, I buy Marks & Spencer's Fairtrade equivalent. I wouldn't touch Lipton's Yellow Label, if you paid me - floor sweepings..! But you pay a premium price for a premium tea..? PG Tips are my other choice, for breakfast, which as another poster mentions, are now available in Phuket. Cheers. :o

I suspect that like many well known brands of just about everything,that Lipton are victims of counterfeiting, I never seem to get two successive purchases which give the same results,which sad to report are generally unpalatable, weak you name it.

Trying many of the alternatives all seem equally bad.