Where To Go For Traditional American X'mas Dinner?

bananainpyjamas

Yes I can reccommend the X MAs buffet at Friendship Beach, about 3 k. sw of Chalong Circle, on the left heading toward Rawai.

It's hard to find as there is only a small sign on the lane , bu tit's not too far past the Progressive school also on the left . You'll see a large sign for a French restaurant on the right, maybe another 500 meters or so , look for the small lane and make a left .

This place has a great American chef named Charlie ( I assume is still there ) and it has the best hamburgers on Phuket.

I really agree with you about Friendship hamburgers. Charlie the cook buys the American Mix burger patties from Don's Butcher Shop at Don's Mall. The Hilton Hotel uses the same.

The main features of Christmas at Don's consist of Roast Prime Rib, Butterball Turkey, Honey Baked Virginia Ham, Roast Pork Loin with apple sauce. All the other traditional Christmas trimmings included.

I really agree with you about Friendship hamburgers. Charlie the cook buys the American Mix burger patties from Don's Butcher Shop at Don's Mall. The Hilton Hotel uses the same.

The main features of Christmas at Don's consist of Roast Prime Rib, Butterball Turkey, Honey Baked Virginia Ham, Roast Pork Loin with apple sauce. All the other traditional Christmas trimmings included.

Yikes, well I'll never eat another one. Sorry, but I do not trust US FDA to make sure BSE ( Mad Cow ) isn't in the food chain...something about not allowing meat processors to test their own products is really suspicious . A big reason why I left US.

Feeding livestock ground up bovine spinal cords and other neural tissues from all kinds of animal carcasses- bad idea.

Is all your fresh meat/poultry from US ?

Edited by HorseDoctor

Yikes, well I'll never eat another one. Sorry, but I do not trust US FDA to make sure BSE ( Mad Cow ) isn't in the food chain...something about not allowing meat processors to test their own products is really suspicious . A big reason why I left US.

Feeding livestock ground up bovine spinal cords and other neural tissues from all kinds of animal carcasses- bad idea.

5555555 - LOL....You have to be kidding!

It was a simple question! This is a post about Christmas dinner! You really need a life!

Or at they very least Start a new Post!

Friendship Beach also does holiday dinners.

What's the price like there? Don's at 595 seems a bit steep, I mean how much food can you eat right? Also how much different is it than the 395 Thanksgiving dinner?

Sorry, didn't see Don's post, answered one of my own questions, Prime Rib and Pork Loin was not part of the T-day buffet

Edited by huggybear

Tavern On The Hill does a Christmas Day Dinner. They are on 50 Year Road on the mountain above Patong. A bit more expensive at 800 Baht but it is a sit down dinner with 3 courses, the main course being turkey and the trimmings. Although it's not a buffet, I ate there last year and no one goes away hungry! As they have limited seating you need to book in advance at phone number 076 296 527.

Tavern On The Hill does a Christmas Day Dinner. They are on 50 Year Road on the mountain above Patong. A bit more expensive at 800 Baht but it is a sit down dinner with 3 courses, the main course being turkey and the trimmings. Although it's not a buffet, I ate there last year and no one goes away hungry! As they have limited seating you need to book in advance at phone number 076 296 527.

Your aware Dave recently died ??

I'm sure Don could source his meat from Asia where the standards are.............well.............let me see now.........low?

As far as i'm aware, there is no slaughterhouse in Phuket that has passed its yearly government certification inspection. They dont have to close down, just try harder. So they fail an Asian government inspection, which frankly isnt gonna be that high. And they fail it. Here in Phuket...................think about it for a minute. Maybe you could buy some chicken from a street vendor and think about it for a while longer................

If you really have to eat meat, try to find out as much as possible about it.

I guess the Green Man in Chalong will do an Xmas dinner. They usually do.

I'm sure Don could source his meat from Asia where the standards are.............well.............let me see now.........low?

As far as i'm aware, there is no slaughterhouse in Phuket that has passed its yearly government certification inspection. They dont have to close down, just try harder. So they fail an Asian government inspection, which frankly isnt gonna be that high. And they fail it. Here in Phuket...................think about it for a minute. Maybe you could buy some chicken from a street vendor and think about it for a while longer................

YOu are the one ill informed

I"m worried about prions, indestructable prions . Not run of the mill , give you the trots -Thai bacteria easily killed by cooking .

Or a virus- maybe you puke. Same for parasites. All destroyed by heat.

Wheras ,BSE prions exist through anything, eat your brain and you die 10- 50 years later from what's is usually referred to as Alzheimer's disease.

And the US is not capable of keeping this prion out of the food chain , companies like Purina that grind up WHOLE cattle ( brains and spinal cords) for feed use have too much money to lose., and too tight a grip on Congress

So far, Thailand doesn't have the same problem.

So If USER Donald Battles ( AKA "Don's Place " which he didn't disclose on his suggestion to eat at his restaurant ) ) is importing meat or poultry from US, I won' eat X Mas dinner at his place and I won't eat at any other restaurants supplied by US either. IF I KNOW

Edited by HorseDoctor

The Green Man has to be the biggest rip off of all time. Last year the food was disgusting, the service terrible and the price turned out to be ridiculous. As for Dons, if you like mashed potato that's like baby puke or green peas as hard as bullets then go for it. I'm cooking my own at home this year! :o

Wheras ,BSE prions exist through anything, eat your brain and you die 10- 50 years later from what's is usually referred to as Alzheimer's disease.

You could get cancer too,get melamine poisoning, you could step out into the street and get run over by a tuk-tuk, you could get eloctrocuted by accident in your home by shoddy installation........................it goes on and on, no one gets out alive. You want to be paranoid? Arai goddai.

You may not be aware that very little beef is imported from the USA and it is restricted to having no bones or sliver of bones. The beef is xrayed by the inspectors.

Don's Beef cattle are grain fed and vaccinated by government inspectors coming from 3 central provinces. We worked closely with Dr. Chinarong and the Kasetsart University and the feeding lots for years to develop our specification, breed and weight before slautering. We have been supplying this beef for 8 years to many hotels and restaurants with great satisfaction. Further, the slaughtering is done at government approved houses. From the slaughter house it is transported to Don's Factory in Bangkok which is also inspected and appproved by the FDA and the Livestock Development Department (LDD). At the factory we age and then cut the quarter sections into primal cuts of beef for transport to Phuket. They are vaccum packed. Then each piece of beef transported across province borders requires the written approval of the LDD. Once the meat arrives in Phuket then the documents have to be take to the local office of the LDD to verify that they are the original ones that were approved in Bangkok before shipping. When buying beef in Phuket ask them to show you the documents as listed above and you should feel safe. The airport has 8 LDD officers assigned to inspect fresh meat at the air cargo facility.

We do not trade in Chicken but do the best we can to provide quality beef. Hope this clears up another misunderstanding of beef.

So where did you get this information? Care to quote some legitimate references? US law requires US beef to be tested for BSE. There is no law that prevents meat processors from testing their own meat. In fact they are encouraged to do so. There was one (1) case found in an animal in Washington State about 5 years ago, NONE has ever been found since. Millions of Americans eat US beef every day. There has never been one single case of BSE reported in a human being in the US. Ever.

........, companies like Purina that grind up WHOLE cattle ( brains and spinal cords) for feed use have too much money to lose., and too tight a grip on Congress

Absolutely untrue and pure nonsense.

Your aware Dave recently died ??

Yes, I was at his funeral. Tavern closed that day but otherwise has been open for business as usual.

BBQ Hut in Patong (south end of Rat-U-Thit Road) is cooking a whole hog and several smoked turkeys. 500bt all u can eat. I aim to be there because her ribs are always tasty.

Hilton Arcadia in Karon does a pretty rockin' Christmas Day Buffet too. Kinda pricey at around 1500bt but you can hang out all day and use the pool too.

For all those in the Laguna, Thalang and Surin area... NOK & JO'S Restaurant is offering Christmas Eve and Christmas Day Dinners from 6pm on both days. The menu includes... Spring Rolls, Prawns, Mussels... Roast Turkey, Duck, Ham, Beef, Ribs... Dressing, Stuffing, Mashed Potatoes, Gravy, Cranberry Sauce, Salads, Fresh Fruit and more...

Prices for both days are... Adults: 500 Baht... Kids: Free to 1/2 price...(depending on age.)

Have been looking for somewhere decent up here and at a reasonable cost compared to the resort options, which tend to be overpriced... we have been to a couple of Nok & Jo's BBQ Buffets previously and the food has been great.

At this stage they have more bookings for Christmas Eve, but may be due to the proximity to the Sun Wing, Amora and Best Western Resorts and their guests at this time of year...

The Restaurant is located on the road that leads from Surin Beach through to Bangtao Beach...You can book on...081-5382110 or 087-2796532. E-Mail: [email protected] ....ENJOY......