Letter From Bank

Hi guys,

I have to get my visa extension in January, the main branch of my Bank is in Pattaya, my accounts are held there.

If I want to get the extension done elsewhere, how long does a letter from the banK last, as I'm in Pattaya now till the 15th and won't be in Pattaya when it's due for extension and I probably won't be able to get a letter from a sub branch, or will I ?

Does it have to be the branch where the account is held ?

If I picked up a letter from the bank on monday, would it still be valid for a visa extension in 3 weeks ?

If not, it's the 600 Km drive back to Pattaya.........

Hi guys,

I have to get my visa extension in January, the main branch of my Bank is in Pattaya, my accounts are held there.

If I want to get the extension done elsewhere, how long does a letter from the banK last, as I'm in Pattaya now till the 15th and won't be in Pattaya when it's due for extension and I probably won't be able to get a letter from a sub branch, or will I ?

If I picked up a letter from the bank on monday, would it still be valid for a visa extension in 3 weeks ?

If you have a bank book any branch should be able to provide you with a statement about the available amount they can check in the computer.3 weeks before is a bit long,but there seems to be no rule depends as always on the mood of the immigration person. Edited by bunnaag

If you have a bank book any branch should be able to provide you with a statement about the available amount.3 weeks before are a bit long,but there seems to be no rule depends as always on the mood of the immigration person.

I'll have 2 bank books, I guess I could just get the same days ATM printout as well as a letter from here in Pattaya.

The only concern I have is if I can get a letter from any Branch of Bangkok Bank or does it have to be my home Branch ?

Thanks guys.

You need to check with your bank about getting the letter from a branch. Some do some don't.

Dependent on the immigration office 3 weeks probabably will be to long. I have read reports that some want it to be no more than 3 days old.

Also you won't be able to use your account for thsoe three weeks because the last update of bank book has to match the letter.

There has been the odd report of these documents being issued at another branch. But it appears to have been a pain getting it done. Usually they will not. Go and have a word with your own branch.

Off topic but my Wife has to go to Samui from Khon Kaen next week to withdraw her fixed interest deposit from Ayudhya Bank as they will not do it in the Khon Kaen branch. Same bank.

Hi guys,

I think you will find, as happened with me with TMB bank, that only the branch where you have the account will issue you with a letter. I guess if the letter has to show your account of a certain amount of money 3 months in advance of your extension then that amount should have been dposited for 3 months when the letter is dated.

Hi guys,

I was able to get the bank letter and the passbook updated in Nong Hin while my main Siam Commercial Bank account was in Pattaya. I did have a problem when I applied and the passbook and the bank letter were dated differently. I had to go back to the bank in Nong Hin and get a new letter and my passbook updated together. I now have accounts in both Nong Hin and Pattaya.

Tyke

I think you will find, as happened with me with TMB bank, that only the branch where you have the account will issue you with a letter.

100 % right

i had over a million baht in a 5 year old account at TMB in pattaya a few years ago and went to a tmb branch in chiang mai for a letter to confirm the balance ?

ohhhhhhh can NOT !

why ?

money not here !

how can i do ?

open account here .

bring million baht here

can do letter : )

30 minits later i had another TMB account , debit card and the letter

problem solved !

dont you just love Thailand : ) .... dave2

slightly off topic, but what do they generally charge for the letter. Just waying up pro's & cons of changing from 40k monthly to 400K in the bank.

Around 200 Baht.

I just got a letter from my TMB bank in Pattaya yesterday morning and was charged 100 baht! :o

The Bank of Ayutthaya in Had Yaai charged the first two times 20 Bath and afterwards 200Bath.

Why not due extension while in Pattaya. You don't have to wait till date due for renewal.

Spot on for a number of reasons, one if there is a problem you have time to sort it out before current extenion expires and two Pattaya immigration encourage early re-newals so that would not be a problem. In addition the renewal is dated from the date of expiry of your current extension so you lose nothing and maybe save yourself some stress!!

This comedy of errors is a Thai laughing stock. Though you can use their ATMs all over (for a fee) they actually act like separate branches.

I've had branches in Pattaya not wanting to do something because it was not the branch the account was held at and when needing to move a few million around one day I actually had to wait 24 hours for them (Bangkok Bank) to move it from an account in Issan to an account in Pattaya. Utter madness.

I've had branches in Pattaya not wanting to do something because it was not the branch the account was held at and when needing to move a few million around one day I actually had to wait 24 hours for them (Bangkok Bank) to move it from an account in Issan to an account in Pattaya. Utter madness.

You did well T - I had to open a separate account to get things done. I now have SCB accounts in Pattaya and Nang Rong. Both now have bugger all in them because I then had to open an account in Prakhon Chai with a different bank because SCB don't have a branch. It was not just because of the 20 Baht change but if you ever need a bank for ANYTHING (other than ATM withdrawals) it is best to have the account where you are based.

You did well T - I had to open a separate account to get things done. I now have SCB accounts in Pattaya and Nang Rong. Both now have bugger all in them because I then had to open an account in Prakhon Chai with a different bank because SCB don't have a branch. It was not just because of the 20 Baht change but if you ever need a bank for ANYTHING (other than ATM withdrawals) it is best to have the account where you are based.

It came about because I sold something and the purchaser was having problems transferring the cash to my account. I have accounts at loads of banks so I opened an account at the same Issan branch as her and thought that would be easy. Same branch transfer then same name transfer. Useless clots. I could however have withdrawn it all in cash by opening more accounts then transferring money then closing the accounts !!!

Why not due extension while in Pattaya. You don't have to wait till date due for renewal.

Get the extension in Pattaya? (Actually Jomtien). Maybe and maybe not. A friend of mine moved to Chiang Rai about 2 years ago. His bank is still in Jomtien. Immigration told him that he had to get his extension at the immigration office nearest his home. It was due to expire the next day so they went ahead and gave it to him and told him not to come back. Next time he must get the extension near where he is living.

So I Can apply at Pattaya Immigration, in fact I have 2 addresses in Thailand and my Driving License is the Pattaya address and my bank is in Pattaya, what is the earliest I can apply for a renewal of a Visa, 5 days before expiry, 1 Months before expiry ?

Applying next week in Pattaya would be perfect, the Visa is until January 5th.

I'll go and ask myself next week, but has anybody renewed a Visa 3 - 4 weeks before expiry date ?

Edited by Maigo6

So I Can apply at Pattaya Immigration, in fact I have 2 addresses in Thailand and my Driving License is the Pattaya address and my bank is in Pattaya, what is the earliest I can apply for a renewal of a Visa, 5 days before expiry, 1 Months before expiry ?

I'll go and ask myself next week, but has anybody renewed a Visa 3 - 4 weeks before expiry date ?

They like you to do it within the last 30 days. There were reports that Pattaya were asking people to apply 2 months early.

It costs nothing to find out. Since you still have a Pattaya address and bank account, I would think you will have no problem. The best part is that if you would happen to get refused you still have plenty of time to get your extension upcountry.