Nye Ride To Chiang Mai Until 4th January 2009

nakedAIR1300

I have just returned from Chiang Mai bike week 3 days ago and getting stir crazy already. Need to be back up north and riding those great roads on my XJR 1300cc

looking for a small group to join. Proposed dates are 31st December return 4th January.

agenda is very flexible and route is also very flexible.

My suggestion would be to motor from Bangkok direct to Chiang Mai 31st December and enjoy a party night for NYE. 1st January a half day doing loops either Doi Inthanon or Soi Suthep.

After that i would like to do reverse loop from either Pai or Chiang Mai to Mae Sariang and stay overnight. Next day Mae Sariang to Tak then overnight and 4th leisurely cruise to BKK.

There can be so many variations of this trip and routes, im totally flexible... just get me riding again.

Heres the traffic conditions on GT riders. i think we can definately get around these conditions by simply avoiding those roads and stay safe

New Year 2008-2009.

The Thai govt has now declared Friday 2nd to be a holiday, so that means a 5-day break coming up.

Wed 31 - Thurs 1 - Frid 2 - Sat 3 - Sun 4th are all holidays.

Thousands of Bkk Thais will be on the road touring the cold North.

Unless you like football crowds & the accompanying traffic - STAY AWAY from

1. Phu Chi Fah & R1093

2. Doi Inthanon & R1009.

3. Mae Sai, you won't be able to see the bridge 'n border, let alone park within 2 kms of the place, even on a motorbike.

Their will be traffic jams on Inthanon & Phu Chi Fah! On R1009 for certain sections, traffic is one way for 30 minutes at a time. R1192 also gets to be one way for most of the day. You've been warned.

Also a reminder for Chinese New Year Jan 26th (at least in Pha Daeng) & the 4-5 days surrounding it.

On the positive side Chinese New Year is good to see Lisu New Year. Great places to go are

1. Wawi / Doi Chang

2. Soppong

3. R1150 Phrao - Wiang Pa Pao.

Not including the Chiangmai Toy Ride Jan 4?

The kids of the North could use the support

like i said we are totally flexible.

if im in Chiang Mai i will nonetheless come down to the X Centre and make a donation anyway. im all for charity!

dam_n! would love to ride up again. just can't swing it over NYE. next one

sounds like good fun though

Trent you cheating bastard! Riding without your wingman is bad for the Karma! :wai::D:o (But no worries- we'll be thinking of you when we do our Laos trip in February) :D

Man- I should be excited for my 5 week holiday in Europe, but honestly I'd rather just stay in the LOS and RIDE! :D

Ah well, the tickets are already paid for and my friends and relatives are expecting me, and I'm going to pick up a couple of Italian Airoh helmets while I'm in the old country too. (Going to order a Large and an XL because even after trying them on at FastCorner I really can't decide which is my size). I'll sell the one that's not my size for CHEAP on ThaiVisa :D

Have a blast on your ride and don't forget to take some pics and share them with us! See you when we get back in late January.

Happy Trails,

Tony, Nong and Little Mir

Trent you cheating bastard! Riding without your wingman is bad for the Karma! :wai::D:o (But no worries- we'll be thinking of you when we do our Laos trip in February) :D

Man- I should be excited for my 5 week holiday in Europe, but honestly I'd rather just stay in the LOS and RIDE! :D

Ah well, the tickets are already paid for and my friends and relatives are expecting me, and I'm going to pick up a couple of Italian Airoh helmets while I'm in the old country too. (Going to order a Large and an XL because even after trying them on at FastCorner I really can't decide which is my size). I'll sell the one that's not my size for CHEAP on ThaiVisa :D

Have a blast on your ride and don't forget to take some pics and share them with us! See you when we get back in late January.

Happy Trails,

wish i could go,arriving bangkok 30 dec and have not bought a motorbike yet hoping to get kawa versys or er6n.and be on my way 4. jan

Trent you cheating bastard! Riding without your wingman is bad for the Karma! :P:D:o (But no worries- we'll be thinking of you when we do our Laos trip in February) :D

Happy Trails,

Tony, dont worry i have decided to wait for you.

well the truth of the matter is the traffic will be congested to really enjoy the trip and open the throttle so i will do it again when the roads are clear

thinking of Koh Chang from 30th until 1st and then a day ride or 2 with Bard then off to the track to get some practice in before Tony comes back so i can run rings around him :wai:

catch me if you can

Edited by nakedAIR1300