Nationwide Swift

1.Can anyone tell me how long it takes for a SWIFT request to be delivered and actioned by Nationwide if sent from Thailand.

They only accept postal applications from abroad.

2. Is it easier / quicker / cheaper to deposit a Nationwide cheque at the Thai bank.

thanks for your input.

Do you mean to send funds to Thailand via swift ? If so 1 or 2 working days

I would not try to deposit a Nationwide Cheque at a Thai bank .

Yes to send funds to Thailand, I posted the paperwork 3/12/08 and have heard nothing...is it 1 or 2 days after they receive it in the UK?

How long should i give registered post to the UK before checking?

Edited by Tafia

It has always arrived the day after the request was processed. Problem is they will only act on instruction in writing. In my experience, on average an airmail letter to the UK takes 8 days to arrive - but maybe more now with Christmas post.

Yes to send funds to Thailand, I posted the paperwork 3/12/08 and have heard nothing...is it 1 or 2 days after they receive it in the UK?

It is usually in Thailand within two days of getting the paperwork for confirmation.

Remember there has been a diversion at the airport and mail is somewhat delayed.................... both incoming as well for those expecting correspondence.

You could try the general enquiry number and get put through to the relevant dept for your swift request and check if it,s been processed yet.

General Queries Telephone number Availability

All enquiries 08457 30 20 10

International: +44 1793 656789 24 hours, 7 days a week

I,ve used this on occasions and found it very helpful.

It says incidently 3 to five days to arrive into your bank account, depending on the local clearing time, in the online swift information online.

Good luck

marshbags :o

P.S.

Someone did quote a direct number for swift in one of the forums re nationwide flexi accounts but there have been several and i canot find it at present via the T/Visa search facility

Edited by marshbags

It is usually in Thailand within two days of getting the paperwork for confirmation.

Remember there has been a diversion at the airport and mail is somewhat delayed.................... both incoming as well for those expecting correspondence.

You could try the general enquiry number and get put through to the relevant dept for your swift request and check if it,s been processed yet.

It says incidently 3 to five days to arrive into your bank account, depending on the local clearing time, in the online swift information online.

Good luck

P.S.

Someone did quote a direct number for swift in one of the forums re nationwide flexi accounts but there have been several and i canot find it at present via the T/Visa search facility

Yes, Xmas may be delaying matters, I sent by reg post on 3/12 so it has only been 8 days with a weekend between maybe Im getting anxious about nothing, will give it a few more days then call.

Thanks Guys

Good luck

P.S.

Yes, Xmas may be delaying matters, I sent by reg post on 3/12 so it has only been 8 days with a weekend between maybe Im getting anxious about nothing, will give it a few more days then call.

Thanks Guys

This plus the PAD shutdown at the airport / s when everything was at a stand still, flight wise.

Don,t forget if you really need the transfer, you can telephone them on the help line.

I did it once and they put me thru to the swift related dept.

I was asked a few questions to verify the details of my transfer and a couple of security ones that we all submit when we apply for online services / banking.

They then transferred the money without the posted back up, and it arrived within 48 hours.

If you ring, just explain about the hold ups at the airport

marshbags :D

Edited by marshbags

Good luck

P.S.

Thanks Guys

This plus the PAD shutdown at the airport / s when everything was at a stand still, flight wise.

Don,t forget if you really need the transfer, you can telephone them on the help line.

I did it once and they put me thru to the swift related dept.

I was asked a few questions to verify the details of my transfer and a couple of security ones that we all submit when we apply for online services / banking.

They then transferred the money without the posted back up, and it arrived within 48 hours.

If you ring, just explain about the hold ups at the airport

marshbags :D

Thanks marshbags, have you ever deposited a NW cheque into a Thai bank Im with Kasikorn?

What are the advantages / disadvantages if any?

Edited by Tafia

Remember chaps Nationwide is a Building Society and not a Bank!!!, it acts mostly in the interests of its members!.

I have used their Swift system for transferring money to Thailand several times now. I have sent the application to HQ Swindon by EMS, and after a few days telephoned them. Answering the security questions the money is moved over usually within 24 hours. They would not accept instructions by fax and you of course have to rely on the postal system.

On Nationwide's internet banking you can message them and I have complained about their methods, its under review they say.

My neighbour is with HSBC and he can transfer his money much quicker using their internet banking options., but I think his ATM fee's are 2.50 GBP per withdrawal!!

Remember chaps Nationwide is a Building Society and not a Bank!!!, it acts mostly in the interests of its members!.

I have used their Swift system for transferring money to Thailand several times now. I have sent the application to HQ Swindon by EMS, and after a few days telephoned them. Answering the security questions the money is moved over usually within 24 hours. They would not accept instructions by fax and you of course have to rely on the postal system.

On Nationwide's internet banking you can message them and I have complained about their methods, its under review they say.

My neighbour is with HSBC and he can transfer his money much quicker using their internet banking options., but I think his ATM fee's are 2.50 GBP per withdrawal!!

What is DHL and EMS? How do you go about it.

I have complained via the online messages and they say sorry thats the system or come into the branch...lol

Can you not fax your instructions ?

No, must post. You would think there was a quicker method in this electronic age.

I have overcome this 'posting' problem of transferring cash from UK to LOS with Nationwide.

I opened an account at Nationwide International in the Isle of Man. They transfer the cash to your Thai bank account over the internet....I dont realy see why Nationwide UK dont do this,but they dont.

So its a matter of a free transfer from UK to IOM over the internet...then a Swift .or is it a Chaps transfer over the internet to Thailand.

Seems to take 2 days and costs 20 quid.

Have been doing this for 18 months now...Nationwide Int also pay a higher rate of interest that the Flexaccount.

No, must post. You would think there was a quicker method in this electronic age.

I have overcome this 'posting' problem of transferring cash from UK to LOS with Nationwide.

I opened an account at Nationwide International in the Isle of Man. They transfer the cash to your Thai bank account over the internet....I dont realy see why Nationwide UK dont do this,but they dont.

So its a matter of a free transfer from UK to IOM over the internet...then a Swift .or is it a Chaps transfer over the internet to Thailand.

Have been doing this for 18 months now...Nationwide Int also pay a higher rate of interest that the Flexaccount.

I apologise for the list of questions in advance but you have caught my interest.....

Is this a simple process?

Are the accounts still run the same as UK?

Is your money protected ie under the Nationwide umbrella?

Is there a minimum you have to deposit?

Do they send replacement cards etc to LOS?

So what you suggest is I open one account with NW Int on IOM keeping my accounts in the UK then do internet free transfers to my IOM account and can then arrange internet SWIFT from IOM to LOS which will do away with postal applications?

Can you open this account on line?

Edited by Tafia

If you happen to be going back to the UK sometime, why not just open a bank account with one of the other banks that will do International transfers.

i.e. I use Bank of Scotland, and can make transfers to an account here (happens to be with Bangkok Bank) by simply phoning them. (the transfer costs £19.50).

The first transfer had to be set up in a branch, showing photo id, etc., but after that, I can use the phone banking to transfer to that account as it's been set up in the system already. I can't use phone banking to set up a new transfer, but I'm OK with that from a security point of view...

i.e. You can then use your internet banking to transfer money into your new bank account from Nationwide, and once it's in the account, get them to do the swift.

Note: IoM wouldn't be covered under the UK's guarantee scheme for bank deposits (covers the first £50K in each bank or group, that you hold accounts with). However, there could well be an Isle of Man scheme (but you could find it's like Iceland - the scheme says it will cover a loss, but the IoM government probably couldn't cover the losses of a big bank shutting down - admittedly, not something I'd have worried about before October...)

I apologise for the list of questions in advance but you have caught my interest.....

Is this a simple process?

Are the accounts still run the same as UK?

Is your money protected ie under the Nationwide umbrella?

Is there a minimum you have to deposit?

Do they send replacement cards etc to LOS?

So what you suggest is I open one account with NW Int on IOM keeping my accounts in the UK then do internet free transfers to my IOM account and can then arrange internet SWIFT from IOM to LOS which will do away with postal applications?

Can you open this account on line?

Yes,this is what I have done.

The IOM site allows you to print out the application form and asks for a cheque to open the account...this is sent by post to them. On receipt they open the account and send you all the info you will need,again by post. Once you have signed for internet transactions and given an 9 digit password for withdraws you are then able to transfer money from your UK account at no charge.You can also set up a standing order for regular transfers from the UK account to the IOM account....so you only need to contact IOM when you need cash to be sent over here.

I have found that after the initial postings they require, all later transactions can be done over the internet .

Suggest you go to the Nationwide International web site....if I could manage it I guess you can as well.

They do not give any plastic cards for withdraws...so you use your Thai banks for cash at the ATM

Hope it works for you.