House Ownership

Hi all,

Could someone out there help me. We have bought some land, which had an old bungalow on, we are in the process of renovating the property and at the moment both the land and house is in my Thai partners name. We both agree that the house should be in my name. Does anyone know if there is an English speaking lawyer/solicitor in the Sakon Nakhon area that could advise us of the best way to accomplish this.

Thanks in anticipation Pete

Email Sebastian at IsaanLawyers - from what I've read, unless you're married and lots of other stuff you're probably wasting your time - even then there's little point unless you've also got the 30 year Lease - and even then....... anyway, Sebastian will put you right.

Email Sebastian at IsaanLawyers - from what I've read, unless you're married and lots of other stuff you're probably wasting your time - even then there's little point unless you've also got the 30 year Lease - and even then....... anyway, Sebastian will put you right.

You can't get your name on the deeds. What you can do is start a Thai company with you as the managing director. But IMHO and through bitter experience this is not much good either.

So really assigning yourself a lease is a good idea and even better just having a successful relationship.

As a general rule of thumb realise that once you have put money in to Thailand, you will not get it back.

you could set up a long term partnership agreement,and a last will and testament.the agreement would be if you split up and what she will get and what you get and the last will is to stop her family geting anything because you leave for each other in the will.

Take the advice to talk to Isaan Lawyers.

You will get 20 different 'opinions'.

More knowledgeable people than I will confirm that you cannot own land in Thailand although I do believe that the house can be registered in you name at the Land Office. It is likely that a Usufruct agreement will suit you best to give you a lifetime interest in the property. I believe that marriage will bring about a 50/50 situation and you can add wills to further express your wishes.

Ooops ! There I go, doing exactly what I shouldn't do with only a little bit of knowledge.

Email Sebastian, he will provide best advice - he did for me.