Blood Pressure

johnsurin

I am English and have just had a very strict medical examination in the US regarding a job application. I am 37 years old and in good health except my blood pressure was slightly high.

My blood pressure was 152/92 my employers say it must be no higher than 150/84. I have been told I should get medication to lower my BP. I was told it would only take a couple of weeks to get it down with the correct medication. I had, had my BP done in the UK before I went to the US, and it was always within acceptable limits here. On my return to the UK i saw my doctor and my BP was high again.

My doctor didn't want to give me medication as he said I was to young. I however told him without it I would lose my job, so he unwillingly gave me it. It is Amlodipine 5mg tablets. However he said it would take a little while to work (which I don't have). So in essence my doctor was as much use as half a w*nk.

I am coming back to Thailand over the xmas holidays. Does anybody know if, I go to a hospital here and my BP is high if a doctor here would give me some decent medication and document BP readings taken after treatment, to prove to my employers physician that I have received adequate treatment to resolve the problem.

Thanks in advance,

John.....

Edited by johnsurin

You are only 37 with a BP like that ? Exercise and diet would help considerably , you are what you eat .In my 60's i had 2 heart attacks , the second in BKK , i went to BNH in the middle of the night and got excellent attention , they have a fantastic ICU with the best attention i think anyone could ask for or expect . My doctor changed my medication and suggest i change some of my diet although most was okay , 1 year later i was off of all medication and here i am 4 years later having had no problems , i climb 4 flights of stairs to my apartment and walk almost everywhere i need to go . I would say definitely BNH , they can even give you an electronic coloured print out of your blood system pointing out any problems and an estimated body age .

Oh , i turned 76 today and my resting BP is 120/60 , good for another year or ten ?

Edited by dumball

I am English and have just had a very strict medical examination in the US regarding a job application. I am 37 years old and in good health except my blood pressure was slightly high.

My blood pressure was 152/92 my employers say it must be no higher than 150/84. I have been told I should get medication to lower my BP. I was told it would only take a couple of weeks to get it down with the correct medication. I had, had my BP done in the UK before I went to the US, and it was always within acceptable limits here. On my return to the UK i saw my doctor and my BP was high again.

My doctor didn't want to give me medication as he said I was to young. I however told him without it I would lose my job, so he unwillingly gave me it. It is Amlodipine 5mg tablets. However he said it would take a little while to work (which I don't have). So in essence my doctor was as much use as half a w*nk.

I am coming back to Thailand over the xmas holidays. Does anybody know if, I go to a hospital here and my BP is high if a doctor here would give me some decent medication and document BP readings taken after treatment, to prove to my employers physician that I have received adequate treatment to resolve the problem.

Thanks in advance,

John.....

Could your blood pressure be going up because you are anxious - white coat syndrome? I think you would be better cutting out salt, alcohol, coffeine, doing some jogging or similar and relaxing and getting a good night's sleep.

In any case if you are an active person who is highly strung, or are under pressure (it seems that way) then your doctor was right not to prescribe medication IMHO. Ideally it's a reading of 140/80 or under, but it varies so much from person to person, even from morning to afternoon.

In previous postings, we've had 2 extremely fit people (1 a gym instructor) who get similar readings at times.

Doc is/was right in my opinion.

But in answer to your question, yes I believe a doctor in Thailand would prescribe. Would they advise it? no I don't think so.

It's my opinion though.

Use the mod's advice as the basis of your decision.

Johnsurin,

I am 38 and have a considerably higher BP than you. Figure it is down to alcohol consumption, stress and smoking.

Either way, a quick fix is to stay off booze (if that may be a reason), for two days before the next checkup.

A loop diuretic such as Furosemide will down the pressure fairly instantly, as will Propranolol.

I am unsure if they will check for drugs when they do their checkup, so find out first, but basically anything that will drag out salts from your body (as a loop diuretic would) is helping you so you might want to check out natural equivalents if that is the case.

The margin for passing your test is so small that just keeping off salt might help.

Both the drugs mentioned are available over the counter in any drug shop in BKK, and there are considerably cheaper generic versions of both so ask for them by the generic name, not brand names.

/bp

Edited by BangkokBP

You are only 37 with a BP like that ? Exercise and diet would help considerably , you are what you eat .In my 60's i had 2 heart attacks , the second in BKK , i went to BNH in the middle of the night and got excellent attention , they have a fantastic ICU with the best attention i think anyone could ask for or expect . My doctor changed my medication and suggest i change some of my diet although most was okay , 1 year later i was off of all medication and here i am 4 years later having had no problems , i climb 4 flights of stairs to my apartment and walk almost everywhere i need to go . I would say definitely BNH , they can even give you an electronic coloured print out of your blood system pointing out any problems and an estimated body age .

Oh , i turned 76 today and my resting BP is 120/60 , good for another year or ten ?

What changes in your diet did the Doc suggest? Was it the change in diet that brought you off your meds altogether?

Thank you all for some great replies.

A little bit more history.

Since I had BP tests done earlier in the year, I quit smoking about 6 months ago, very rarely drink (maybe once a week), although I do drink more when in Thailand. I don't take caffiene, cut out salt this week, no white bread (eat 50/50 bread now), always use light butter, cut down on red meat, have a very active job, eat more fruit (not loads).

So theoretically I should be a picture of health. I had stringent blood test done and my sodium levels were fine, lcl cholestorol (the good kind) a fraction high but all in all everything good.

I get agitated quite easily, and have a short fuse, so to say (perhaps highly strung). So all together you's have covered all the bases, but I don't think being highly strung should be putting my BP that high up (although I'm no quack).

BangkokBP. Are Furosemide and Propanolol the name of the medication? Can I buy these over the counter (asking for these names) in Thailand as you say? How about the UK, any ideas or stupid question (meaning of course not)? Or should I just ask for a loop diuretic? Being tested is no problem as long as the drugs are not illegal.

Basically all I need is something to bring my BP down quickly so I can prove it to my company physician. Which leads to my question of. Why didn't my doctor in the UK prescribe these? If they will bring my BP down quickly which is exactly what I told him I needed.

Thanks for everybody's help, you's have been very informative and obviously know what you's are talking about regarding this matter.

John.....

My blood pressure was 152/92 my employers say it must be no higher than 150/84. .

My doctor didn't want to give me medication as he said I was to young. I however told him without it I would lose my job, so he unwillingly gave me it.

You don't have to answer johnsurin,

but I'm curious what industry, would deny you a job, or cause you to lose a job based on high blood pressure.

Weird.

Garlic tablets work very well for lowering blood pressure.....I would try them first before presciption meds.

I think fish oil is also beneficial....google alternative treatments for blood pressure and try that before you go down the prescription meds path.

Garlic tablets work very well for lowering blood pressure.....I would try them first before presciption meds.

I think fish oil is also beneficial....google alternative treatments for blood pressure and try that before you go down the prescription meds path.

I ate fresh garlic -three pieces cut up very small-for over one year and the blood pressure did not go down.There is even a study which says it does not help much.I forgot which one,but if you google blood preesure and garlic you will find it.I am not sure garlic tablets will help because they are not as effective as fresh garlic.But for some people it appears it helps.

I ate fresh garlic -three pieces cut up very small-for over one year and the blood pressure did not go down.There is even a study which says it does not help much.I forgot which one,but if you google blood preesure and garlic you will find it.I am not sure garlic tablets will help because they are not as effective as fresh garlic.But for some people it appears it helps.

May not work for everyone....trial and error really but there are many lifestyles changes that can be made and herbal supplements taken for blood pressure before you need to go down the prescription drug route.

My blood pressure was 152/92 my employers say it must be no higher than 150/84. .

My doctor didn't want to give me medication as he said I was to young. I however told him without it I would lose my job, so he unwillingly gave me it.

You don't have to answer johnsurin,

but I'm curious what industry, would deny you a job, or cause you to lose a job based on high blood pressure.

Weird.

What they call a high stress area/combat zone.

John.....

Thank you all for some great replies.

A little bit more history.

Since I had BP tests done earlier in the year, I quit smoking about 6 months ago, very rarely drink (maybe once a week), although I do drink more when in Thailand. I don't take caffiene, cut out salt this week, no white bread (eat 50/50 bread now), always use light butter, cut down on red meat, have a very active job, eat more fruit (not loads).

So theoretically I should be a picture of health. I had stringent blood test done and my sodium levels were fine, lcl cholestorol (the good kind) a fraction high but all in all everything good.

I get agitated quite easily, and have a short fuse, so to say (perhaps highly strung). So all together you's have covered all the bases, but I don't think being highly strung should be putting my BP that high up (although I'm no quack).

BangkokBP. Are Furosemide and Propanolol the name of the medication? Can I buy these over the counter (asking for these names) in Thailand as you say? How about the UK, any ideas or stupid question (meaning of course not)? Or should I just ask for a loop diuretic? Being tested is no problem as long as the drugs are not illegal.

Basically all I need is something to bring my BP down quickly so I can prove it to my company physician. Which leads to my question of. Why didn't my doctor in the UK prescribe these? If they will bring my BP down quickly which is exactly what I told him I needed.

Thanks for everybody's help, you's have been very informative and obviously know what you's are talking about regarding this matter.

John.....

yes it could John, and what's more it's shouting out as the answer. Also, quitting the smoking may temporarly worsen matters speaking firm experience. Plus the agitatin of the test is the perfet recipe for an even igher reding. Herein lies the problem I think. What too do about it I don't now - get them to knock you unconscious? :o .

My sympaathies, I could be talking to myself here.

You actually have 2 immediate physical problems. One is to meet employment requirements, altho given the difference of only a few points I am surprised they didn't just repeat the test another day. The other, and in fact more important one, is that you apparently have mild hypertension and at a comparatively early age.

First step for both: get a home BP monitor and see if, in fact, you are regulalry running above 135 systolic (systolic=the top number). If you are, job aside, you need to either bring down your BP with lifestyle modifications or, if that fails, take regular medication.

If you find that in fact most of the time your systolic (the top number) is below 135 then you don't need anything other than a repeat physical while in a calmer state of mind. Some deep breathing or other relaxation techniques just before they examine you, and if the reading is still high, tell them it is only in medical situations and ask them to repeat it in 15 minutes or so.

If you do need treatment -- or if you don't, but you feel that you can't afford the risk of the BP being high on the next check -- then I would recommend an ACE inhibitor such as enalapril, 5 mg once a day, provided no history of asthma or other medical problems you did not mention. Availabe everywhere here OTC and cheap. I do not recommend loop diuretics as they may well mess up your electrolytes (sodium, potassium), which will in turn be evident on blood tests, not to mention make you feel ill. Wouldn't recommend propanalol or related drugs (beta blockers) either for several reasons: (1) no longer considered a preferred first treatment for hypertension and (2) causes a characteristic slowing of the heart rate which will be obvious on physical exam. They'll know you've either taken a beta blocker or else have cardiac disease -- in either case not in your favor.

Enalapril will probably get your BP down to normal within just a few days, will not alter your electrolytes, heart rate or anything else that a physical exam will check. Continue to monitor your BP once the job part is settled and stay on it unless you are able to get your systolic BP consistently below 135, 140 tops. And get a thorough physical, inclusive of stress test, ias soon as practical and then regulalry thereafter.

Please do not fail to monitor you BP if you succeed in getting the job. it is unlikely that being in a high stress environment/combat zone will do your BP any favors!

The above is responding to what you specifically asked for. But as a nurse, I feel obligated to point out that while you may be asking to pass a test to go work in a high stress environment, that may not be in your real best interests; your body seems to be asking for something very different. I have a lot of prior work experience in conflict areas and have observed that while people with tense personalities are drawn to them, they are also made worse by them. I think the appeal is that the environment offers good cameflauge and a handy external excuse for what are in fact a more deeply rooted personal traits. Serves a useful short-term purpose but perpetuates and even deepens the underlying problem in the long run.

In other words, your overall well-being would likely be better served by not taking a job of that nature and instead making it a serious priority to do some work on that "short fuse". It is unlikely that you can do both simultaneously and what you may have gotten away with for some years has had a cumulative effect on your health. None of my business and feel free to ignore, but something I honestly think you would do well to consider. :o

You actually have 2 immediate physical problems. One is to meet employment requirements, altho given the difference of only a few points I am surprised they didn't just repeat the test another day. The other, and in fact more important one, is that you apparently have mild hypertension and at a comparatively early age.

First step for both: get a home BP monitor and see if, in fact, you are regulalry running above 135 systolic (systolic=the top number). If you are, job aside, you need to either bring down your BP with lifestyle modifications or, if that fails, take regular medication.

If you find that in fact most of the time your systolic (the top number) is below 135 then you don't need anything other than a repeat physical while in a calmer state of mind. Some deep breathing or other relaxation techniques just before they examine you, and if the reading is still high, tell them it is only in medical situations and ask them to repeat it in 15 minutes or so.

If you do need treatment -- or if you don't, but you feel that you can't afford the risk of the BP being high on the next check -- then I would recommend an ACE inhibitor such as enalapril, 5 mg once a day, provided no history of asthma or other medical problems you did not mention. Availabe everywhere here OTC and cheap. I do not recommend loop diuretics as they may well mess up your electrolytes (sodium, potassium), which will in turn be evident on blood tests, not to mention make you feel ill. Wouldn't recommend propanalol or related drugs (beta blockers) either for several reasons: (1) no longer considered a preferred first treatment for hypertension and (2) causes a characteristic slowing of the heart rate which will be obvious on physical exam. They'll know you've either taken a beta blocker or else have cardiac disease -- in either case not in your favor.

Enalapril will probably get your BP down to normal within just a few days, will not alter your electrolytes, heart rate or anything else that a physical exam will check. Continue to monitor your BP once the job part is settled and stay on it unless you are able to get your systolic BP consistently below 135, 140 tops. And get a thorough physical, inclusive of stress test, ias soon as practical and then regulalry thereafter.

Please do not fail to monitor you BP if you succeed in getting the job. it is unlikely that being in a high stress environment/combat zone will do your BP any favors!

The above is responding to what you specifically asked for. But as a nurse, I feel obligated to point out that while you may be asking to pass a test to go work in a high stress environment, that may not be in your real best interests; your body seems to be asking for something very different. I have a lot of prior work experience in conflict areas and have observed that while people with tense personalities are drawn to them, they are also made worse by them. I think the appeal is that the environment offers good cameflauge and a handy external excuse for what are in fact a more deeply rooted personal traits. Serves a useful short-term purpose but perpetuates and even deepens the underlying problem in the long run.

In other words, your overall well-being would likely be better served by not taking a job of that nature and instead making it a serious priority to do some work on that "short fuse". It is unlikely that you can do both simultaneously and what you may have gotten away with for some years has had a cumulative effect on your health. None of my business and feel free to ignore, but something I honestly think you would do well to consider. :o

Thanks Sheryl.

I take BP readings at home morning, noon and night. In the morning and afternoon they are high (140's/90's sometimes higher). In the evenings generally lower. I have taken the necessary lifestyle changes but I have no improvement on the readings. I have been on Amlodipine 5mg tablets, 1 per day for a week now, still no change.

I had BP tests originally then 1 by a private physician in the US, they were all high. I cam back to the UK and had one done again by my GP here, high again. He took an average of my last 7 BP readings over the past year and a half and he said it was high. He reluctantly and I mean very reluctantly gave me the medication I mentioned earlier, with, up to now, no response.

I appreciate your concerns about me working in a hostile environment, however, my "short fuse" is a more prevelant when dealing with other peoples incompetance than my own personal situation, and personally don't think that would be a problem.

Do you think taking enalapril would lower my BP quickly, rather than the medication my GP has prescribed. I am returning to Thailand soon and plan on seeing a doctor when I arrive as I can't even get a second opinion in the UK.

Thanks for you help Shyrel, I have found it really informative.

Regards,

John.

This is a very astute observation in an already well written piece. I guess it might apply to many of us; most definitely including myself.

Obviously we're rooting for OP.

Strikes me it's about stress and anxiety above a physical cause. But if the figures are coming in the same at home then John should really consider his position carefully.

A tough one as us guys do tend to be the breadwinners.

I hope something else gives in the mean time.

I take BP readings at home morning, noon and night. In the morning and afternoon they are high (140's/90's sometimes higher). In the evenings generally lower. I have taken the necessary lifestyle changes but I have no improvement on the readings. I have been on Amlodipine 5mg tablets, 1 per day for a week now, still no change.

I had BP tests originally then 1 by a private physician in the US, they were all high. I cam back to the UK and had one done again by my GP here, high again. He took an average of my last 7 BP readings over the past year and a half and he said it was high. He reluctantly and I mean very reluctantly gave me the medication I mentioned earlier, with, up to now, no response.

Do you think taking enalapril would lower my BP quickly, rather than the medication my GP has prescribed. I am returning to Thailand soon and plan on seeing a doctor when I arrive as I can't even get a second opinion in the UK.

OK well then it is clear enough, you are hypertensive, and since life-style modifications have not worked, you need medication. (It is still possible that stress reduction would do the trick but that is a more complex undertaking...)

Regarding choice of medication I am a little hesitant to second guess your UK doctor as I do not know what his reasons may have been. Amliodipine is not such a common first line choice for someone with Stage I hypertension except in people who also have angina, which I gather you do not, and in people of African descent, who seem to respond especially well to this class of drug (Calcium Channel blocker). If you are, that might explain the choice. If not, I am not saying it is a wrong choice -- it can indeed be used for first line treatment -- just that it is not all that usual, which makes me wonder a bit as to what the rationale was. When you next see him, try to engage him in a discussion on that (and in the meantime, read up on the subject, which you should do anyhow. Hypertension ios a chronic condition for which the patient needs to take a very active role in managing).

One usually sees some effect on BP within 24 hours of the first dose, although it does take 7-8 days to reach a steady blood level . From what you say you have been on it for a week. You can give it a few days more but if you reach a full 10 days, having taken it regulalry, and still no change in BP I would be inclined to think that you are not going to respond well to this particular class of drugs and would suggest trying a different class, such as enalapril (an ACE inhibitor). Enalapril works quite quickly, you should see results within a day of starting it.

Be sure whatever drug you do or do not take to read up on side effects and potential interactions with other medications. Just google the drug name plus "side effects".

You made one big mistake , the second you cut into garlic it loses its nutriant factor , it also has to do with the colestoral factor which Ínfluences 'blood pressure' but does not 'Control it '. The only garlic tablets that are truly beneficial to colesterol are QUAI because of their freeze dried method of preparation . Fish oil is also a contributing factor to blood pressure because it fights the BAD fat in your system , you have to rethink your whole dietry way of eating , one or two things are akin to Don Quiote flailng at windmills , there is no magic pill , it all comes down to your overall life style .

Thanks in advance,

John.....

:o High blood pressure on a regular basis is what is called "the silent killer". People who have it believe they are healthy, but the aren't. Then 10 or 15 years later it causes a heart attack or stroke. It's too late to do anything about it then (well, wieght loss and exercise can help, but often the effects are already there and won't go away).

At age 37 you shouldn't be more than 140/90 at the most. By the way 120/80 is considered a good healthy blood pressure. Being up in the 150 range is a big red flag. really. it is serious.

I won't even attempt to comment on "medications" because it is way beyond my knowledge. But you need to me seen by a specialist in hypertension (high blood pressure). He/she can start you on a regular schedule of medication...along with diet and a regular exercise progeram. Diet and exercise are what YOU as the paticient, can do for yourself to help lower your blood pressure. It is as important as medication.

I never worried about my blood pressure before, and I am overwieght. I felt fine, why worry? Then about three years ago I was put in hospital. When I was admitted, my blood pressure was as high as 220/100. I was educated, and it was a big "wake up" call to change my life. Unfortunately, some of the results are not going to away at my age (63 years).

Don't be a fool, and end up with physical problems you can NEVER get rid of due to years of hypertension.

Here's something to try. Sit and watch televison. Relax. When you feel relaxed and comfortable, look at your hands. Are they clenched or ar your fingers curled? If that seems "normal" to you it can be a sign that your blood pressure is high. It's one of the things doctors look for as one of the external signs of chronic high blood pressure. Do you have a "ruddy" complexion. Are your cheeks often red? close your eys, do you see lights or flashing dots with your eyes closed. All of these are giveaway signs of chronic hypertension. Of course, there are other reasons for these symptoms, some are even normal. But if you can see these symptoms in your body, you need to see a hypertension specialist.

Buy a cheap manual pump up blood pressure monitor, and use it every day. I bought one in Greece for about 40 Euro at a local Pharmacy. You don't need the fancy automatic monitors, but you can get one if you want to. Mine just has a cuff with a velcro connector. You just slip it on your upper arm, fasten the velcro, and use a squeeze ball to bring the reading on the monitor up to about 200 as it tightens on your arm. Then just let go, and the pressure will slowly go down. The digital reader unit does all the calculation and displays the results. Most hold at least the last 10 readings in memory. Mine hold the last 20 readings, so you can go back in the memory and see wheher he trend is up or down over the readings. I sure you could pick one up in the U.K. for not more than 50 pounds at te most. It is an investment in your future life that it is well worth it

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

... Then 10 or 15 years later it causes a heart attack or stroke..

Add to that possible kidney failure and blindness, small capillary damage, it adds up,

For many, simply loosing some weight and reducing alcohol intake can have a dramatic and immediate effect,

and for those who continue to smoke in spite of their high BP, then dam the torpedoes, full ahead, :o

"At age 37 you shouldn't be more than 140/90 at the most. By the way 120/80 is considered a good healthy blood pressure. Being up in the 150 range is a big red flag. really. it is serious."

I get your drift and generally agree, but saying 150 is serious is a bit over the top. It indicates prehypertension. It might also indicate nothing at all. And in any case the lower figure,eg, 90, is more important as I understand it. Also OP is on medication it was his doctor that was reluctant to prescribe it.

OP has prehypertension given the history of his readings, but BP can fluctuate markedly in some individuals anyway. Just this year I have had readings ranging from 115/60 to 150/90. BP readings are an indicator that need to be taken alongside other factors, eg, heart condition, cholestorol levels, and renal function.

The poster that followed also seemed to imply that smoking causes high blood pressure. Again, I get his drift and generally agree, but in fact I think it has no direct bearing at all, it's effect is probably indirect, but I'm glad I chucked it anyway :o .

I think both posters meant well.

:o

Buy a cheap manual pump up blood pressure monitor, and use it every day. I bought one in Greece for about 40 Euro at a local Pharmacy. You don't need the fancy automatic monitors, but you can get one if you want to. Mine just has a cuff with a velcro connector. You just slip it on your upper arm, fasten the velcro, and use a squeeze ball to bring the reading on the monitor up to about 200 as it tightens on your arm. Then just let go, and the pressure will slowly go down. The digital reader unit does all the calculation and displays the results. Most hold at least the last 10 readings in memory. Mine hold the last 20 readings, so you can go back in the memory and see wheher he trend is up or down over the readings. I sure you could pick one up in the U.K. for not more than 50 pounds at te most. It is an investment in your future life that it is well worth it

:D

You can buy (order) an automatic blood pressure kit from just about any 7/11 store for about 1500 - 2,000 baht

"At home the readings are always approximatey 12o/75 but when measured in the hospital the pressure is mostly 165/100."

So writes poster bonnag on another similar thread in this forum.

One reading is ideal while the other points to the need for medicine. Quite a difference, and I could get 2 results from my doctor's file that are more or less the same.

So white coat syndrome! One with booze one without!

What's the take FBN or Sheryl? (sorry I know your work load is sometimes heavy and it's not so important).

Or anybody else like to discuss?

"At home the readings are always approximatey 12o/75 but when measured in the hospital the pressure is mostly 165/100."

So writes poster bonnag on another similar thread in this forum.

One reading is ideal while the other points to the need for medicine. Quite a difference, and I could get 2 results from my doctor's file that are more or less the same.

So white coat syndrome! One with booze one without!

What's the take FBN or Sheryl? (sorry I know your work load is sometimes heavy and it's not so important).

Or anybody else like to discuss?

This may be "white coat syndrome."

For the OP, there is some pressure on the line (no pun).

This is a physical for a job. White Coat Syndrome could be pushing his BP up.

It's possible.

Thanks to everyone for your helpfull posts, it is very much appreciated.

I am going to see my doctor (in the UK) today for a BP test. My plan is to try and relax as much as possible as I have been trying all week, even when driving, although this is not easy....

I have cut out all salt, red meat, white bread, crisps. I have been eating more fruit, veg, brown bread less butter/dairy and exercising. So I guess I will see how high my BP is tomorrow and if it has not came down below (my bottom number, Diastolic) 84 I shall have to try and talk to my doctor about other possible drugs, although I no for sure he won't want to give me them.

When I get back to Thailand in 1 week I will just have to see a doctor then to try and get some stronger medication.

Thanks again I will post what happens tomorrow.

John.....

Well I've been to my doctors today and had a blood pressure test done. My readings today were 138/78 which is well within the required limits I need but the top number (systolic) still a tad high but have but that down to anxiety, as my top number is always lower than that when I check it myself in the house.

As I have said before I have cut out all the bad foods and increased my intake of all the good foods. I have tried to relax and take things easy rather than get stressed out and annoyed at trivial things. This all seems to have helped.

My doctor now wants me to give a urine test to check for any other problems that could be causing my high BP. He says there is a gland to do with the kidneys that could be producing more adrenalin than usual and giving a urine test shall show this up.

So I will be going back to my doctor on Monday and Wednesday for further BP tests to see if everything is fine, as I have to have three seperate tests for my employers.

Thanks again for everybody's help and advice, I'm sure other people will find it informative also.

John.....

Perhaps just a brief addition...

Make sure that your BP is taken in the supine, seated and standing positions as well as on both arms. There should be fluctuations in the readings which is normal. If not, it signifies and underlying cause that may require further investigation and treatment.

There are many causes for high BP and most modern medications are designed to address these very specifically so it is essential to exclude causes which may require very specific medication.

Well I've been to my doctors today and had a blood pressure test done. My readings today were 138/78 which is well within the required limits I need but the top number (systolic) still a tad high but have but that down to anxiety, as my top number is always lower than that when I check it myself in the house.

As I have said before I have cut out all the bad foods and increased my intake of all the good foods. I have tried to relax and take things easy rather than get stressed out and annoyed at trivial things. This all seems to have helped.

My doctor now wants me to give a urine test to check for any other problems that could be causing my high BP. He says there is a gland to do with the kidneys that could be producing more adrenalin than usual and giving a urine test shall show this up.

So I will be going back to my doctor on Monday and Wednesday for further BP tests to see if everything is fine, as I have to have three seperate tests for my employers.

Thanks again for everybody's help and advice, I'm sure other people will find it informative also.

John.....

:D:o good stuff john.