"abhisit"

JoeThePoster

The literal translation of the Sanskrit is 'Beyond/Above Mastery', nothing to do with the common Thai interpretation of 'right' except as interpolated from 'authority' or 'accomplishment'.

But I think it's highly likely that for a word (and name) as relatively common as this one, the parents were thinking of the Thai meaning when selecting it, as opposed to its original meaning in the source language. There are really two questions: what does the word originally mean, and what does/dit it mean to Thais/Abhisit's parents?

The literal translation of the Sanskrit is 'Beyond/Above Mastery', nothing to do with the common Thai interpretation of 'right' except as interpolated from 'authority' or 'accomplishment'.

But I think it's highly likely that for a word (and name) as relatively common as this one, the parents were thinking of the Thai meaning when selecting it, as opposed to its original meaning in the source language. There are really two questions: what does the word originally mean, and what does/dit it mean to Thais/Abhisit's parents?

Absolutely. I was just correcting what someone else wrote about the original Sanskrit meaning. I think Abhisit's parents most likely didn't even think about the meaning, they just liked the name. Just as Anglos parents might name their son Mortimer ('dead sea'), Joe (ie Joseph, 'he will add') or Leroy ('the king') without giving much thought to the meaning. But you'd have to ask them :o