Thaksin Supporters To Rally During Two-day Parliament Meeting

george

Somkiat later told the press that it was his first visit to Lampang and the objective was to meet and exchange views with PAD supporters. He also planned to visit PAD supporters in Tak province's Mae Sot district. The Democrat MP cum PAD co-leader soon left driving a white car with no licence plate.

Nation - Protestors cross swords

From the above it really looks as though Somkiat has forgotten he is a Democrat, he is visiting PAD supporters.

The whole issue of his visit is ahead of the by elections in Lampang. I believe it is the Democrat party standing in these and not the PAD party. :o

The lack of any delineation between the two means it becomes hard for the Democrats to have any credibility with these issues. He could of course be misquoted but maybe PAD/ Democrat alliance is so obvious that no one is bothering to distinguish any longer.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the RED block the airports. I want to know how the Kangaroo court will say this time. Legal or illegal.

You know what the court say the last time - protesters have the RIGHTS.

The good thin with you guys is, that you know it all BEFORE!

At least you claim to, that makes you folks so incredible, credible!

For a paid act in the stadium, free t-shirt and bus ride included, it was not a bad stunt, agreed though!

Thaksin is solely responsible for creating such political movement but I don't think Thailand has relevant laws to prosecute him for that.

Because so far this amazing criminal mastermind of yours has been found guilty (5-4) of signing a public document accepting that his wife could purchase land (as must every Thai husband) when he held a political position. Not exactly the crime of the century.

Next, citizens are not allowed to wear torn underwear. That is corruption because you have money and you don't invest in a decent underwear.

Koo, it would be interesting to hear more from you, what it was like at the meeting & what was being said by the organisers ?

Was the basic-message just one of being anti-Democrats, or were they discussing how a TRT/PPP/PTP government would have different policies, to help the country ?

No danger joining them because they repeatedly said that they won't do what PAD did. Those who were sleepy just slept. Those who came in could just come in after the staff checked the bags. No mafia guards.

There was a truck having a huge banner with ID style photos of 33 Sor Sor Ngoo Hao (Cobra top members who voted for Abhisit).

PTP did not lead this protest, so there was no discussion how to help the country. It was not the vote looking process before an election.

The main subject was we did not trust Abhisit and their fake democracy.

Truth Today leaders said they will go to court if people can prove what they say are wrong. They have black and white to back up what they say on the stage.

They said by the year 2547 / 2548, there was a total of over 200 million Baht transferred to accounts of sisters and close members of Democrat Party members via Kasikorn Bank. They held copies of the bank sheet to show. Each transfer was 1.8 million or 1.9 million because from 2 million, that had to go through to corruption committee to check. This money was not announced by Democrat Party and according to rules, this is wrong and can lead this party to dissolution. I watched the tape from MVtv (satellite) from 6:30pm. I only joined the rally in day time of 30 Dec 2008.

Edited by Koo82

Somkiat later told the press that it was his first visit to Lampang and the objective was to meet and exchange views with PAD supporters. He also planned to visit PAD supporters in Tak province's Mae Sot district. The Democrat MP cum PAD co-leader soon left driving a white car with no licence plate.

Nation - Protestors cross swords

From the above it really looks as though Somkiat has forgotten he is a Democrat, he is visiting PAD supporters.

The whole issue of his visit is ahead of the by elections in Lampang. I believe it is the Democrat party standing in these and not the PAD party. :o

The lack of any delineation between the two means it becomes hard for the Democrats to have any credibility with these issues. He could of course be misquoted but maybe PAD/ Democrat alliance is so obvious that no one is bothering to distinguish any longer.

They never had any credibility before either. It's a sign they just don't care what anyone else thinks about the connection between the two. Remember Abhisit saying he was sorry the airport blockade "HAD" to happen? It was apparent even then.

You are correct though, their arrogance and flagrance is just going to make their opponents (the majority?) hate them even more. But when big brother (the military and hundreds of corrupt oligarch families) is standing behind the bully, he is free to stick out his tongue at anyone he likes.

However, one day - and that day will come - the bully will be walking down a dark alley alone..and from the shadows step the vengeful. As they say, vengeance is a dish best served cold.

Perhaps those who were condemning the airport-occupation, and the damage done to Thai tourism, will now equally condemn the on-going damage being done to local tourism & businesses, by the red-shirts ? :o:DOk --- you cunning fox --- I condemn them!! They were terrible for disrupting that center for a couple of hours--- you surly jest?

And don't the red-shirts & PTP-supporters remember, some 25% of local voters up here already support other parties, than the latest incarnation of TRT/PPP ? Do they hope to demonstrate their commitment to democracy, respecting others right to hold a different point-of-view, with their actions ? Or do they merely hope to intimidate non-believers, on their supposed home-ground, quite a dilemma for them really. :DSadly I think he does not jest. How dare they demonstrate in such a minor manner??? Head straight for the airports !!

I don't jest, I was stuck in the resulting traffic-jam, and I don't regard the threats to non-PTP-supporters as any laughing matter. Don't forget that the red-shirts already recently murdered a PAD-supporter's father, here in Chiang Mai, and delayed the ambulance from taking him away to hospital. So I take red-shirts threats, of violence to Democratic MPs or local supporters, very seriously. They have a proven record on this sort of behaviour.

Koo, it would be interesting to hear more from you, what it was like at the meeting & what was being said by the organisers ?

Was the basic-message just one of being anti-Democrats, or were they discussing how a TRT/PPP/PTP government would have different policies, to help the country ?

No danger joining them because they repeatedly said that they won't do what PAD did. Those who were sleepy just slept. Those who came in could just come in after the staff checked the bags. No mafia guards.

I didn't suggest that it would be dangerous to go. So you saw staff inspecting bags, no mafia guards, rather like a typical PAD-rally in fact.

There was a truck having a huge banner with ID style photos of 33 Sor Sor Ngoo Hao (Cobra top members who voted for Abhisit).

PTP did not lead this protest, so there was no discussion how to help the country. It was not the vote looking process before an election.

The main subject was we did not trust Abhisit and their fake democracy.

Truth Today leaders said they will go to court if people can prove what they say are wrong. They have black and white to back up what they say on the stage.

Good ... the more anyone presents evidence of corruption, on either side, the more it weakens the old system.

They said by the year 2547 / 2548, there was a total of over 200 million Baht transferred to accounts of sisters and close members of Democrat Party members via Kasikorn Bank. They held copies of the bank sheet to show. Each transfer was 1.8 million or 1.9 million because from 2 million, that had to go through to corruption committee to check. This money was not announced by Democrat Party and according to rules, this is wrong and can lead this party to dissolution.

Was this evidence going to be presented to the E.C., or what ?

I watched the tape from MVtv (satellite) from 6:30pm. I only joined the rally in day time of 30 Dec 2008.

my comments in red above.

Thanks for reporting this, Koo. :D

Were there many people there ... what would you estimate ? Was there no mention of Thaksin, his several court cases & one (so far) conviction, and his demand for a pardon ? There are reports that Thaksin has urged leaders of the UDD to keep up the protests ... was this mentioned at all ? How did the speakers view the manouvers in Parliament, which led to the new Democratic-led coalition-government, was this seen as normal politics (which PPP also engaged in) or as something new and underhand, and if so, why ?

There was a man singing about 5 songs. One of them was so funny "What is that not good about Thaksin that Newin goes love other?"

No one talked about his demand for a pardon. As he has said, he was charged because he was the PM (political motivation).

They didn't say they fight for Khun Thaksin or Khun Thaksin urged anyone to fight.

They said "If no Newin, no Abhisit as PM. If no Army, no Ab- as PM".

Whether the Truth Today leaders have brought that case to EC or not yet is beyond me.

Hard to estimate how many. The scene was like this:

post-67339-1231087026_thumb.jpg

Edited by Koo82

Thaksin is solely responsible for creating such political movement but I don't think Thailand has relevant laws to prosecute him for that.

Hi PLUS

Well... They may not have the "relevant laws to prosecute him for that" just yet--- but give them time--I'm sure they are working on it!

Who is they and do you believe yourself in what you said here - that new laws will be created to prosecute Thaksin?

Because so far this amazing criminal mastermind of yours has been found guilty (5-4) of signing a public document accepting that his wife could purchase land (as must every Thai husband) when he held a political position. Not exactly the crime of the century.

Govt officials are prohibited by law from buying state property, the conflict of interest issue, abuse of power issue, but I agree, it's not a crime of the century, but he also has half a dozen other charges of varying degrees.

The latest of which is of course the non disclosure of any of his assets held abroad. A five year ban from politics for sure or perhaps yet another'honest mistake'.

BTY, going home to Khon Kaen province at the New Year I was struck by how many people were saying they wanted to give Aphisit a chance.

The latest of which is of course the non disclosure of any of his assets held abroad. A five year ban from politics for sure or perhaps yet another'honest mistake'.

BTY, going home to Khon Kaen province at the New Year I was struck by how many people were saying they wanted to give Aphisit a chance.

Only those rushing around your Benz and styling your hair, Pee. Never bite the hand of the patron, chai mai, krup? Never know how her father-grandfather made his money! Better not to know! :o It's a bit like the Thai movies....the pooyai matron stumps off in a bad mood (aromsia) and the maids giggle and laugh at the BS - though respectfully of course - as they need to know their place - even on TV shows, chai mai?

Edited by aromsia

Only those rushing around your Benz and styling your hair

I understand that if she doesn't drive a Benz and didn't go to a hairdresser in Khon Kaen then her comment about people wanting to give a chance to Abhisit is true.

And they accuse Bangkokians about being prejudiced...

I understand that if she doesn't drive a Benz and didn't go to a hairdresser in Khon Kaen then her comment about people wanting to give a chance to Abhisit is true.

No, they accuse Hi So Bangkokians (falsely) of being educated. :o

Just sit back and enjoy the show. Lets see how they govern now in this mess. Bet most people will feel in their wallets that they were better off under Thaksin than Abhisit/Sondhi/Army anytime soon.

Then see who they will vote for if they are ever given the chance to vote in un-rigged elections again.

No, they accuse Hi So Bangkokians (falsely) of being educated. :D

Just sit back and enjoy the show. Lets see how they govern now in this mess. Bet most people will feel in their wallets that they were better off under Thaksin than Abhisit/Sondhi/Army anytime soon.

Then see who they will vote for if they are ever given the chance to vote in un-rigged elections again.

I myself certainly feel poorer now, than I did in the early years of this decade, but surely this is more related to the global economic situation, than it is to whoever is running Thailand this week.

Unless you blame Abhisit/Sondhi/Army for the strong-baht policy, which is now closing export-factories, across the country ? I blame the past two elected-governments, self-proclaimed Thaksin-nominees, and will also blame this latest government if they fail to act in the next few months. In times like this you devalue, in order to retain whatever is possible, of your declining exports & tourism. Even the Vietnamese understand this, and they're supposed to be communists, not capitalists !

Speaking of un-rigged elections, perhaps Thaksin is not the best role-model, given what happened when he last had the chance to run one. He chose not to ... even though he would probably have won it anyway. Just couldn't help himself. :o

Speaking of un-rigged elections, perhaps Thaksin is not the best role-model, given what happened when he last had the chance to run one. He chose not to ... even though he would probably have won it anyway. Just couldn't help himself. :o

Hi Ricardo --- as you speak of rigged elections and seem to point your finger only at Thaksin ---- I wonder what your thoughts are on the many instances of intimidation --- corruption-- threats --- official bias etc. from the Junta ---- directed against the PPP with the sole purpose of preventing them from winning the election ??

Why do these not register on your electoraljusticeometer ?

The law doesn't say MUST be in parliament house.

Opposition MPs were informed of the new venue just as anyone else. They chose not to go for their own reasons.

Koo is making stuff up on the go.

Or rather she listens to people who are not ashamed to lie to suit their agenda.

Edited by Plus

Speaking of un-rigged elections, perhaps Thaksin is not the best role-model, given what happened when he last had the chance to run one. He chose not to ... even though he would probably have won it anyway. Just couldn't help himself. :D

Hi Ricardo --- as you speak of rigged elections and seem to point your finger only at Thaksin ---- I wonder what your thoughts are on the many instances of intimidation --- corruption-- threats --- official bias etc. from the Junta ---- directed against the PPP with the sole purpose of preventing them from winning the election ??

Good morning Tig, you may remember that at the time I was busy welcoming the elections being held on the junta's promised schedule, saying that a return from military-appointed junta to democracy was a good thing. I'm sure we agree on that.

Pity that the new PPP-led coalition-government immediately began a clamp-down on the media, once in power, rolling-back some of the improvements ( ! ) under the military-appointed government. But old habits die hard.

On corruption, I regularly call for this to be exposed, wherever & by whomever it is found, and I deplore the failure of the red-shirts to expose much, in the way that the early-PAD used to. This is a missed opportunity for them. A culture where any corruption can be exposed can only be a step in the right direction. It deters the corrupt. Perhaps the PPP while in power might have started an investigation, which I do remember calling for, into corruption during the previous government, but somehow just forgot? Why ??

So I trust you'll agree, in fairness, that I do retain some integrity ? Not that that counts for much, in the larger scale of things, to anyone except myself. If you still disagree ... please feel free to use your 'Ignore' button.

I agree that an election run by an elected-government ought, in most (but not all) instances, to give a better (but not perfect) picture of the voters' wishes, than one run by a military-installed government. The PPP , if it confidently believed this, would surely have wanted to hold one, with a view to gaining more votes & seats, so that it could dispense with the irritating coalition of parties who had (pre-election) previously vowed not to work with them ? And who had set pre-conditions like 'no white-wash for Thaksin'.

I find it amusing, that some posters who were stoutly defending PM-Somchai's refusal to hold such an election, even in-extremis with the country out-of-his-control and his party about to be dissolved by the courts, are now demanding that Abhisit should call one. Funny how their view changes, when their lot are no-longer in power, but that's politics for you. :o

Speaking of un-rigged elections, perhaps Thaksin is not the best role-model, given what happened when he last had the chance to run one. He chose not to ... even though he would probably have won it anyway. Just couldn't help himself. :D

Good morning Tig, you may remember that at the time I was busy welcoming the elections being held on the junta's promised schedule, saying that a return from military-appointed junta to democracy was a good thing. I'm sure we agree on that.

Pity that the new PPP-led coalition-government immediately began a clamp-down on the media, once in power, rolling-back some of the improvements ( ! ) under the military-appointed government. But old habits die hard.

On corruption, I regularly call for this to be exposed, wherever & by whomever it is found, and I deplore the failure of the red-shirts to expose much, in the way that the early-PAD used to. This is a missed opportunity for them. A culture where any corruption can be exposed can only be a step in the right direction. It deters the corrupt. Perhaps the PPP while in power might have started an investigation, which I do remember calling for, into corruption during the previous government, but somehow just forgot? Why ??

So I trust you'll agree, in fairness, that I do retain some integrity ? Not that that counts for much, in the larger scale of things, to anyone except myself. If you still disagree ... please feel free to use your 'Ignore' button.

I agree that an election run by an elected-government ought, in most (but not all) instances, to give a better (but not perfect) picture of the voters' wishes, than one run by a military-installed government. The PPP , if it confidently believed this, would surely have wanted to hold one, with a view to gaining more votes & seats, so that it could dispense with the irritating coalition of parties who had (pre-election) previously vowed not to work with them ? And who had set pre-conditions like 'no white-wash for Thaksin'.

I find it amusing, that some posters who were stoutly defending PM-Somchai's refusal to hold such an election, even in-extremis with the country out-of-his-control and his party about to be dissolved by the courts, are now demanding that Abhisit should call one. Funny how their view changes, when their lot are no-longer in power, but that's politics for you. :o

HI Ricardo

Certainly no need for the "ignore' button from me --- integrity goes a long way around here --- you must sometimes feel lonely.

But my original challenge still stands ---I was looking for more from you. Over the past many months the usual suspects have been pointing their "finger of scorn" at electoral fraud and corruption --- of the Thaksin/PPP camp. Oh --- and spiced with much condemnation of the savagery of the "war on drugs"

I guess its the onesidedness that that gets to me --- I would find what these people were saying a little more acceptable if it were balanced -- but its not. PAD did not target corruption ----- it targeted Thaksin corruption. Very big difference. Does anyone even dream that the immense entrenched fiscal corruption of the military (to pick but one) is in any way diminished? I believe it is enhanced --- by the actions of the Military/PAD/democrat alliance. Hardly surprising.

The correctly based righteous indignation over the excesses during the "war on drugs" would have had more weight had it have been pursued at the time it was occurring. My view is that the condemnation was simply a convenient weapon to deploy over resentment that Thaksin was getting his nose so deeply into the trough that it was affecting the "take" of the traditional grafters.

Now .... cue PAD finally screaming "bloody murder" --- where were these champions of social justice when the crimes were happening?? Sondhi ran a media empire --- not one word!! The few who did scream at the time must wonder where all these belated warriors were when they were needed. Was is justice that really got PAD off the ground ---- or money?

Electoral fraud etc---- well ... if those without sin had thrown the first stone neither side would have needed to worry much.

"Pity that the new PPP-led coalition-government immediately began a clamp-down on the media, once in power, rolling-back some of the improvements ( ! ) under the military-appointed government. But old habits die hard."

I think you view the Junta period with tinted glasses--- they were pretty aggressive.....

Remember PRD chief Pramote Ratvinij? Pramote, a longtime friend of the Democrats, became PRD chief shortly after Thaksin was ousted. He banned pro-Thaksin station PTV from going on air. He launched a legal fight against allegedly pro-Thaksin station iTV, which was finally shut down by the junta-installed government -- he also allowed ASTV, part of Sondhi's Manager Group, to air shows on Channel 11.

"I find it amusing, that some posters who were stoutly defending PM-Somchai's refusal to hold such an election, even in-extremis with the country out-of-his-control and his party about to be dissolved by the courts, are now demanding that Abhisit should call one. Funny how their view changes, when their lot are no-longer in power, but that's politics for you." :D

Your point is valid -- but look at it from the other side ---- Somchai led the remnants of an elected government (very much to the dismay of the powers arrayed against them) that was being savaged by a "mob" --- why should they kowtow to these self interest groups?? I would remind you that this government first won in 2001 (the first Thai government to survive the full 4 year term) --- then they won again in 2005 with the first outright majority ever --- then 2007 ...... oh well ....you know. ....

The Democrats on the other hand have never won an election in living memory.....

I personally wish the new government success--- right now they are the only possibility path forward ... but I do understand those who regard them as greedy usurpers ...... they may well be --- their friends and supporters certainly are.

Next, citizens are not allowed to wear torn underwear. That is corruption because you have money and you don't invest in a decent underwear.

" In addition to that, all citizens will be required to change their underwear every half-hour. Underwear will be worn on the outside so we can check. "

during all the PAD stage shows and speeches i waited for a good moment to post a link to a clip from the Woddy Allen movie Bananas. on the other hand, posting link to 'funny' youtube clips isn't so funny at all, so i hesitate to do it. but after you brought the 'underwear issue' to the topic now, i can not resist and have to add the clip.

the new El Presidente holds his first speech after the revolution. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qff098NCNDE