Korean Boy Killed After Falling From Pattaya Condo

george

Korean boy killed after falling from Pattaya condominium

PATTAYA: -- A six-year-old Korean boy was fatally injured after falling from his room on the fifth floor of a condominium building in this seaside town.

The boy was identified as Kyul Kwon and was pronounced dead at the Pattaya Memorial Hospital at 6 am.

Police said the boy fell from the room of Building A of National Housing Authority's Theprasit Condominium on Theprasit Road in Chon Buri's Bang Lamung district.

His parents were sleeping inside the room when the boy fell from the room's balcony, police said.

-- The Nation 2009-01-03

The Thai goverment and those responsible for health and safety(re-enforcing safe balconey height regulations) should hang their heads in SHAME!,.......something which is not advertised in glossy brochures or TAT promotions!!!....AMAZING!!

Edited by dee123

The Thai goverment and those responsible for health and safety(re-enforcing safe balconey height regulations) should hang their heads in SHAME!,.......somethoing which is not advertised in glossy brochures or TAT PROMOTIONS!!!!!

go further - how about those cooking vats of hot oil on crowded city soi's right at eye level of kids ?

Think people give 2 farts about that when babies are allowed to be dangled off motorbikes ?

The Thai goverment and those responsible for health and safety(re-enforcing safe balconey height regulations) should hang their heads in SHAME!,.......something which is not advertised in glossy brochures or TAT promotions!!!....AMAZING!!

We all know they should but they won't. It was just an assiden, mai bpen rai. But in fairness the balcony height shouldn't be an issue with a six year old kid. Chances are he was climbing up to get a better view. The only totally child safe balcony is one that the kid can't get out on to.

But spare a thought for the parents. Right now they'll be shattered and wallowing in the "what ifs" thoughts. Like "what if we didn't sleep in that morning?" or "what if we locked the balcony door?" or many others.

RIP to the kid (so yung, so sad) and condolences to the parents.

Jimmy! dee! Phil!

Happy New Year from Thailand (in case y'all have forgotten where you are).

Guess what? Kids still drown in swimming pools at apartment complexes in the USA despite +30 years of federally mandated fences and gates with child-proof latches. I guess these nanny states just aren't capable for federally mandating common sense and parental concern for child safety in the home yet.

NB. This response has been generated by being "bored and unattended". Please don't try this, motorbike baby-dangling or leaning over your balcony at home. Leave that to the professionals.

As a parent I am astounded that every one starts to blame the condominium, life is full of accidents waiting to happen, a parents job is to ensure as best they can that they do not happen, sleeping while your children are awake in a high floor apartment with an open balcony door is not doing your job as a parent.

I feel for their loss but I feel more for the little boy who's life was cut short at only 6 years old.

He was pronounced dead at 6:00am. That means he must have fallen sometime before that. I don't think you can call that sleeping in. There are so many variations on what may have happened to speculate on who is to blame.

We rented a very nice condo and discovered that none of the sliding glass doors in the entire building would lock. They just did not fit properly.

My sympathy goes out to the parents.

To the parents' defense, not many six year olds put themselves in the position of climbing over the rails of a balcony so that a fall is even possible.

I remember being six years old and having plenty of opportunities to put myself in dangerous situations or even off myself.

It just hardly ever happens because our survival instincts give us tremendous fear at that age.

really sad for the family and the poor little kid who was probably bored and unattended

"Probably bored and unattended" ?????????

Rather silly statement to make. Parents were in the room, so the unattended part is wrong.

What do you base your other assumption on?

Looks like you used to work for the local police who tend to make sweeping generalisations like this?

HAve some compassion for the parents

really sad for the family and the poor little kid who was probably bored and unattended

"Probably bored and unattended" ?????????

Rather silly statement to make. Parents were in the room, so the unattended part is wrong.

What do you base your other assumption on?

Looks like you used to work for the local police who tend to make sweeping generalisations like this?

Have some compassion for the parents

Yes they were in the room but were asleep according to the original post, in my book asleep while your child is awake and you have not entrusted anyone else to take care of them is unattended, only the parents know if they did not take enough care to avoid this happening.

A simple 20 baht lock attached to the doors when you sleep however would minimised the risk.

I was not there, so cannot say who was at fault however it is certainly not the fault of the Thai Government or the Condominium builders as some posters are implying.

My very deepest sympathy to the parents and family members. This is a terrible, terrible tragedy and a horrible loss that they may never fully get over.

I assume a whole lot of people here either don't have children, don't sleep or have full-time nannies to watch them every single moment night or day.

• 3 weeks later...

Something like this happened to Eric Clapton's son...terrible tragedy. Does anyone remember that poor little girl who fell thru the railing at the Paragon mall on opening weekend?? We had a near miss just this weekend at Laem Cha Bang with our 1 year old. It is a fear I always carry....when we first moved to Thailand 5 years ago I had our long stay hotel weld add'l railings at tottler level. There was a 20ft drop onto solid concrete stairs and only a single railing at hip height.

Something like this happened to Eric Clapton's son...terrible tragedy. Does anyone remember that poor little girl who fell thru the railing at the Paragon mall on opening weekend?? We had a near miss just this weekend at Laem Cha Bang with our 1 year old. It is a fear I always carry....when we first moved to Thailand 5 years ago I had our long stay hotel weld add'l railings at tottler level. There was a 20ft drop onto solid concrete stairs and only a single railing at hip height.

yes building safety regulations(enforcement at least) seem to be non excistent.Just look at Sanitka night club fire tradegy.So I repeat to the authorities Hang your heads in shame.The point being that when many buildings in Thailand were erected profit must have been put before safety.

Edited by dee123

• 1 month later...

A word of warning for those who stay at many of the rooms in Pattaya with kids.

We stayed in a room with our 3 year old and the balcony level is higher than her.

But guess what, you see it on balconies all over Pattaya, the LK motto and it makes a perfect step up for your youngster.

Most kids are able to unlock the balcony door anyway, so even if the parents had locked the door, the child could still get out . For sure the parents are blaming themselves, but if the child had woken early before them, what could they have done?

I feel so sorry for them, it must be a terrible to go through