Marriage Visa To Usa

Back to the question of revealing the unregistered marriage to US Immigration...

We had a Buddhist wedding ceremony (but did not register the marriage) about 5 months before my wife's K1 visa interview in Bangkok. As part of the "proof of relationship" package, we included photos of the wedding, and even mentioned it. Absolutely no problem with the interviewing officer.

Upon first entry to the US after receiving her visa, the officer took a quick look at the paperwork, and just basically asked if my wife understood the K1 requirements (e.g. have 90 days to get legally married). Again, no problems.

At the interview for granting permanent residence (green card) in San Francisco, the officer had a file about 2 inches thick, including the photos that had been forwarded from the consulate in Bangkok. The interview went very smoothly, and we even mentioned the wedding ceremony in Thailand. Again, absolutely no problem.

I agree 100% with Martian's suggestions, but based upon our experience, I wouldn't be concerned about mentioning an unregistered marriage. I think that its extremely common, and if nothing else, demonstrates an extra level of commitment to the relationship.