The Holiday Pound Is Worth Most In Thailand

ThaiEye

But they forgot the UK as a holiday destination.

Uk a holiday destination? :o:D:D

The UK is a great destination (I live there but am not from there...)

Not great for a sun and sand holiday, but the countryside/castles etc are worth the trip.

Oh, so you're not British, but have the audacity to claim the UK is full of tourists! Unbelievable!

Again, people, stop confusing "London" with "Thailand" and "the UK" with "Bangkok". Everyone is mixing their comparators to suit their argument.

No but I have spent over 20 years of my life here and have been all over, so I know what I'm talking about.

Not if you think the UK is full of tourists, you don't.

Once again: London is NOT the UK.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not great for a sun and sand holiday, but the countryside/castles etc are worth the trip.

Oh, so you're not British, but have the audacity to claim the UK is full of tourists! Unbelievable!

Again, people, stop confusing "London" with "Thailand" and "the UK" with "Bangkok". Everyone is mixing their comparators to suit their argument.

No but I have spent over 20 years of my life here and have been all over, so I know what I'm talking about.

So where do you live then?

By the way: where can i get a pint for 99p in London?

Answer: any JD Wetherspoons's pub - obviously haven't been reading the news where this promotion has been questioned by anti-alcohol groups. It is true that Thailand is cheaper for very many things, but less so than in the past. I stick by my earlier posting that Bangkok hotels are trying to close the gap, and I don't agree with the point about clothes (if you mean quality clothes) being cheaper in Bangkok. My Thai wife has just been going around the UK sales and says that you can't get that value in Bangkok. I suppose these are exceptional times (and the real crash is yet to come) but prices in the Uk are really cheap at present, especially outside London.

I've been back in the UK for a few months now, and the prices are stunningly cheap. Branded booze, clothes, CDs, DVDs, books, PCs, TVs, cars - you name it, it's cheaper than Thailand. Restaurants, entertainment, transport much more expensive in the UK, however.

Uk a holiday destination? :D:D:D

So where do you live then?

Nottingham, where you just can't move for european tourists charging towards Nottm Castle and Sherwood forest. :o

The English spend twice as much on tourism than they receive. The French spend half of what they receive. Maybe they should have a mass landing on our shores for a change, which, this time, wouldn't result in mass fatalities and a bankrupt economy.

UK Prices are plummeting at the moment. Thai Baht needs to be in the 60's for it to be considered a

bargain destination.

UK Prices and I am here right now.

So, you reckon the UK is cheaper than Bangkok if you wanna be so selective i will too, Thailand and prices i can get in red (baht converted to pound/ pence)

Meal - 2 can eat for 5 pounds in a pub restaurant

Meal - 2 can eat for 2 pounds in a nice restaurant

Pint of Ale 99p

Big bottle of Chang 70p

Sun Cream - 2.99p (But no lotion required)

????

Mineral water 80p (free from a tap)

Mineral Water 30p (1 baht for one liter from water stock up point)

Fags (cigarettes) 4.10p (pack of 20, last longer as your not allowed to smoke them anywhere)

Fags (cigerettes) 70p

Mug of Coffee 1.50p

Cup of Coffee 20p

Can of Coke 80p

Can of Coke 25p

Samsung mobile phone, new and boxed 4.95 (Carphone warehouse)

(UK wins)

England is cheaper than Bangkok and the tourist destinations on most things.

Including: Property, prices here are crashing and will revert back to levels seen in year 2000, maybe beyond.

Rent, deflation is now in progress. Apartments can be bought in the UK for under 2 million baht, today.

Apartments can be bought in Thailand for under 500,000 baht, today.

Fuel is now down to 82p a litre

Fuel is now down to 30p a litre

Clothes and electronics are much cheaper here than in rural Thailand never mind Bangkok.

Clothes! Got to be joking!

I used to buy Leo Beer by the case for 450 Baht from the market, I can buy beer here much cheaper!

I used come back from England and can swear that beer in your local minimart here is cheaper than beer at convenience store in England

Used Cars here have to be the cheapest in the world right now.

(UK wins, sure)

Hotels can be had for under 50 pounds a night (room)

Hotels can be had for under 10 pounds a night (room)

Now public transport is much more expensive, 5 pound + for a 5 minute taxi ride,

Bus and rail fairs are increasing considerably while flights are coming down in price

Lon to Bkk can be had for under 400 pounds.

Ofcourse we can go on and on comparing prices, I just taken the items from the original post and thrown in a few more

for good measure, as you have shown there's not much difference between many items. But a massive difference in countries.

Here I throw in a few more for debate.

Soapy Massage one hour with 2 ladies in UK is from 55 pounds well under 3000 Baht

Call costs to Thailand from UK is about 1 pence or less per minute

Broadband is (for me) 10 pounds per month

Electric is about 10 pounds per week

Un processed Jasmine rice straight from the Farm in Thailand is sold at 13 Baht per Kilo

Here it is about 1.20p (Processed) per Kilo

Bangkok minimum wage is about 240 Baht one day (maybe 200).

UK minimum wage is 5.73p or 292 Baht(per hour Enforced minimum wage

Many people are now losing the jobs in the UK,

the minimum amount people receive to live on by law is 60.50 per week or about 3,000 baht a week.Job seeker allowance

My Thai wife can easily live here in the UK as cheaply as she could live in Thailand

But the fact is our currency has gone down the pan, masking the true costs and hiding the true deflationary figures in the housing market.

What remains to see is when Thailand's economy follows the Global trend and I suspect in the summer this whole debate

will turn upside down and Thailand will once again be cheap.

England is NOT cheaper than Thailand, I am back now and I can confirm that it is indeed still rather expensive living here compared to Thailand. uk2bkk appears to be comparing someone living on an extremely tight budget in the UK to someone with a holiday style spending budget in Thailand, that is not like for like. Thailand may be more expensive if you want to buy exactly the same products as you use in the UK but then what would be the point in leaving?

(oh and I have never found a Pub restaurant where two can eat for a fiver and beer is 99p, apart from in the middle of moss side perhaps?)

Edited by madjbs

Nottingham, where you just can't move for european tourists charging towards Nottm Castle and Sherwood forest. :o

The English spend twice as much on tourism than they receive. The French spend half of what they receive. Maybe they should have a mass landing on our shores for a change, which, this time, wouldn't result in mass fatalities and a bankrupt economy.

:D I like interesting facts:

"Over the same period (August to October 2008, LP), the seasonally adjusted number of visits

abroad by UK residents decreased by 6 per cent to 16.4 million

when compared with the previous three months, while the

associated spending decreased by 6 per cent to £8.8 billion."

"During the 12 months to October 2008, the number of visits by

overseas residents to the UK, not seasonally adjusted, remained

broadly the same when compared with the 12 months to October

2007, at 32.7 million."

Have a nice read Gents :D

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/pdfdir/ottnr1208.pdf

LaoPo

Still glad that I left it!

By the way: where can i get a pint for 99p in London?

Answer: any JD Wetherspoons's pub - obviously haven't been reading the news where this promotion has been questioned by anti-alcohol groups. It is true that Thailand is cheaper for very many things, but less so than in the past. I stick by my earlier posting that Bangkok hotels are trying to close the gap, and I don't agree with the point about clothes (if you mean quality clothes) being cheaper in Bangkok. My Thai wife has just been going around the UK sales and says that you can't get that value in Bangkok. I suppose these are exceptional times (and the real crash is yet to come) but prices in the Uk are really cheap at present, especially outside London.

I think it's only for IPA though.

But just who would want to spend any time in that bastion of boredom - the British pub?

Of course comparing the cost of clothes in the UK and Thailand:

- Wooly Jumper - 10 pounds

- Thick Leather coat - 150 pounds

- Thick walking shoes - 30 pounds

- Scarf - 5 pounds

- Gloves - 10 pounds

- Thick wooly socks - 10 pounds

hmm... now the cost here in Thailand is errr...

Don't know - dont need them.

Comparing the UK costs to our costs here in Thailand is a pointless exercise - its like comparing apples and oranges!

Lets face it the only reason the costs on some items are lower in the UK, is because the poor sods who actually still have a job in the UK have to pay high taxes as a subsidy. For example, the transport costs on the buses in London are very low, a bus trip anywhere is 1 pound with an 'Oyster' card. However, its subsidised by people like me, used to live within the the bounds of Greater London Council or whatever it is called now!

As for a beer and a meal in Weitherspoons. Do me a favour. I went to one and had one of the meals - 'bangers and mash' in Harrow. What a dump!! It was cheap for sure... but what a grotty, miserable place to sit and eat!!

No comparison to Thailand at all.

Edited by dsfbrit

Of course comparing the cost of clothes in the UK and Thailand:

- Wooly Jumper - 10 pounds

- Thick Leather coat - 150 pounds

- Thick walking shoes - 30 pounds

- Scarf - 5 pounds

- Gloves - 10 pounds

- Thick wooly socks - 10 pounds

hmm... now the cost here in Thailand is errr...

Don't know - dont need them.

Comparing the UK costs to our costs here in Thailand is a pointless exercise - its like comparing apples and oranges!

Lets face it the only reason the costs on some items are lower in the UK, is because the poor sods who actually still have a job in the UK have to pay high taxes as a subsidy. For example, the transport costs on the buses in London are very low, a bus trip anywhere is 1 pound with an 'Oyster' card. However, its subsidised by people like me, used to live within the the bounds of Greater London Council or whatever it is called now!

As for a beer and a meal in Weitherspoons. Do me a favour. I went to one and had one of the meals - 'bangers and mash' in Harrow. What a dump!! It was cheap for sure... but what a grotty, miserable place to sit and eat!!

No comparison to Thailand at all.

Totally agreed and look at the barmaids in the UK, friendly good-looking darlings indeed..... :o . Compare the view from one side of a bar in Thailand to the east-end of London. I'd rather pay an extra 50p for a bottle of beer in Pattaya than at Wetherspoons! Worth paying extra just for the view :D

What kind of exciting activities do they put on at Wetherspoons? Coyote Dancing or a Meat Draw?

And some of the larks here are commenting about getting better 'quality' outside of Thailand..... :D

"Over the same period (August to October 2008, LP), the seasonally adjusted number of visits

2007, at 32.7 million."

LaoPo

Is there a point lurking in there?

2007, at 32.7 million."

LaoPo

Feel free to lurk at as many points you want.

LaoPo :D

But here we are again banging the wrong drum.

We are comparing Wetherspoons with it's relatively cheap beer, two meals or a curry set and a beer for a fiver (Bt250 only now BTW) against roadside or small restaurant Bt80-100 a plate Thai places. Wetherspoons has facilities, aircon even (and heating) whereas the Thai places used in comparison do not.

Go to an equivalent place in Thailand and you will not get 2 full meals for Bt250, you are more likely to pay Bt250 a plate and then more for rice.

It is not an exact science I know and I would still say that Thailand is cheaper than the UK but take a week off work in the UK and take a week off on holiday in Thailand and you will spend more with the Thailand option.

For the price of a week in Thailand (all costs included), I reckon you could very well go to a 5* hotel in London and ask for 7 nights accommodation with full board and I reckon you'd get taken on for most months of the year.

My main point is that in over 15 years of coming to Thailand and having lived here for quite a few of those years, I have seen Thailand move from being a cheap beautiful holiday destination to, in some areas, an overpriced runaway juggernaut of a place without facilities to back up the high prices charged. Now my experience includes £ rates from circa 40 up to over 90 and everywhere in between. For those people only used to 70 or so, Thailand must seem way overpriced. The truth is that with FX rates over 60 for many years, inflation has been able to run out of control and people have not minded as the FX rate somewhat compensated. Now the tide has turned and I think Thailand is in for a very very rough time in the forthcoming few years.

UK Prices are plummeting at the moment. Thai Baht needs to be in the 60's for it to be considered a

bargain destination.

Pint of Ale 99p

Fags (cigarettes) 4.10p (pack of 20, last longer as your not allowed to smoke them anywhere)

Mug of Coffee 1.50p

Can of Coke 80p

Including: Property, prices here are crashing and will revert back to levels seen in year 2000, maybe beyond.

Rent, deflation is now in progress. Apartments can be bought in the UK for under 2 million baht, today.

Clothes and electronics are much cheaper here than in rural Thailand never mind Bangkok.

I used to buy Leo Beer by the case for 450 Baht from the market, I can buy beer here much cheaper!

Now public transport is much more expensive, 5 pound + for a 5 minute taxi ride,

Bus and rail fairs are increasing considerably while flights are coming down in price

here here, but who do you fly with for 400 pound, let me know and a <deleted> here is even cheaper than in thailand

For the price of a week in Thailand (all costs included), I reckon you could very well go to a 5* hotel in London and ask for 7 nights accommodation with full board and I reckon you'd get taken on for most months of the year.

:o

The price of a week living in Thailand = The price of a 5-star hotel in London for 7 nights. :D

Edited by ThaiEye

2007, at 32.7 million."

LaoPo

Feel free to lurk at as many points you want.

LaoPo :D

I was lurking at your italicised drivel, which are an object lesson in the bleeding obvious.

bargain destination.

Pint of Ale 99p

Mug of Coffee 1.50p

Can of Coke 80p

here here, but who do you fly with for 400 pound, let me know and a <deleted> here is even cheaper than in thailand

Jet are now offering 389 pounds to Bangkok

Net Flights

incidently just noticed today in Sainsburys, Brand name Beer 10 x 440ml Cans for aprox 27 Baht each. Now I did not see Beer

that cheap in Tesco's Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...

New lower price for Beer at Asda UK, 4 x cans of Hollandia Beer 0.90 GBP or 12 Baht each, shame I dont drink.

Can Thailand beat that?

edit, just noticed the exchange rate, now 11 Baht each (interbank rate)

Edited by uk2bkk

New lower price for Beer at Asda UK, 4 x cans of Hollandia Beer 0.90 GBP or 12 Baht each, shame I dont drink.

Can Thailand beat that?

edit, just noticed the exchange rate, now 11 Baht each (interbank rate)

I see that as well as the 99P pints of IPA, JD Wetherspoons' pubs also do a bottle of San Miguel at the same price, and almost all beers under £2.00. Some of these pubs have been selling Tiger and Singha - though no doubt at the higher end of the price range. If anybody can't afford the airfare it may be an option, though the bar staff don't really compare! :o

Casino Lunch in Northampton with change from a Pound (99p)

sausage and mash, three-bean chilli and chicken curry, all for less than £1

A casino in Northampton town centre is hoping to help people save money during the recession by offering a Credit Crunch Lunch for only 99p.

Aspers, in Commercial Street, has launched a new menu offering a choice of three meals: sausage and mash, three-bean chilli and chicken curry, all for less than £1.

Good Job I don't gamble.

Witherspoon Pints and 99p beer, what a lot of crap... i'll stay in Thailand thanks and enjoy my 70p big Changs.

11p for a delicious can of Asda beer? Here in Thailand you can buy a small bottle (in an energy bottle) rice whiskey for 10baht.

As for 99p lunch of soggy chips and baked beans eggs, i think i'll stick to a slightly healthier spicy papapa salad and sticky rice for 50p.

Cheap bargain basement food can be found in the UK but it's awful quality, as for a pint at Weatherspoons, i think i'd rather have the company of some pretty Thai barlass than some smally Cockney homeless hobo.

Not seriously disagreeing that Thailand has lots of advantages, but large Changs at 70P? That's about 33 baht right now! Even in Isaan where I stay, 80-100 baht for a big bottle isn't uncommon in any bar with entertainment (I drink Chang so I know). Yes, the supermarket price is about what you say, but we are talking bar prices. :o