The Holiday Pound Is Worth Most In Thailand

ThaiEye

Unbelievable, some of the bickering (by Brits) going on lately about how expensive Thailand is.

But according to The Mirror newspaper:

The holiday pound is worth most in Thailand, report shows

Recession-hit Britons can make their summer holiday money go twice as far – by ditching resorts in Europe and going long-haul instead.

Hot spots in Thailand, Malaysia, South Africa and Kenya are offering families the best value as the pound slumps to a new low against the euro. Even though sterling has lost 24 per cent against the Thai baht since last January, Thailand still works out as the cheapest far-flung destination.

It is less than half the cost of Italy, the most expensive eurozone country, and 43 per cent cheaper than Spain.

South Africa – where sterling is actually slightly stronger than a year ago – is the second cheapest long-haul destination for spending money.

Researchers compared the price of popular holiday items, including a three-course evening meal with a bottle of wine, sun cream, mineral water, cigarettes, cup of coffee and can of Coke – in both long- and short-haul destinations.

They will set tourists back £84.58 in Italy but the same items cost only £39.02 in Thailand.

Andrew Spice, of Post Office travel services who carried out the research, said: “Whereas the Thai baht, Egyptian pound and Malaysian ringgit have strengthened considerably against sterling, the cost of living in these places is much cheaper so holidaymakers will find their currency stretching a lot further than in most European resorts.”

Top 10 value destinations

Thailand - £39.02

South Africa - £45.50

Malaysia - £46.26

Kenya - £53.06

Spain - £68.38

Egypt - £69.13

USA - £73.92

Greece - £74.63

France - £79.08

Portugal - £80.97

Italy - £84.58

Mexico - £102.16

Barbados - £151.61

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2...15875-21013189/

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Researchers compared the price of popular holiday items, including a three-course evening meal with a bottle of wine, sun cream, mineral water, cigarettes, cup of coffee and can of Coke – in both long- and short-haul destinations.

Are they taking the phish?

They are obviously not talking about the normal crop of British holidaymakers, including myself, for whom the only item that may be of interest is the wine (purely to wash down the meal of course :o ) and (for others) the ciggies.

I must admit that I do partake of the odd bottle of mineral water but the cost of such a commodity does not feature at all, ever, in my decision as to where to holiday. Neither does sun cream, coffee and Coke for that matter.

But, like whiterussian says, factor in the flight cost and it becomes not such a big bargain. I think it will take more than this kind of positive propoganda to talk up the tourist business right now.

:o 39 quid would not cover the starting expenses for a night in Bangkok/Pattaya.Thats before a beer or two :D

In terms of current relative prices the Mirror article may have a point. However, any Brit who has been coming to Thailand for a longish period cannot fail to see the steep rise in prices in the past few years. Bangkok Hotel prices, for example, seem higher this year. I think the price advantage is diminishing. Then there is the exchange rate!

Utter rubbish. I can trot out any line of statistics to prove almost anything but it will, like the Mirror, have no validity.

This is just a play on the near parity of the Euro to the £ and yes, Europe is almost off limits at the moment. I did not think that the £ and the UK economy could be so badly managed so that I now wish the UK has chucked the £ and joined the Euro some 10 years ago.

Remember, the clown running the UK sold off our gold reserves at some lunatic $250 an ounce or something. Utter twit.

But they forgot the UK as a holiday destination.

UK Prices are plummeting at the moment. Thai Baht needs to be in the 60's for it to be considered a

bargain destination.

UK Prices and I am here right now.

Meal - 2 can eat for 5 pounds in a pub restaurant

Pint of Ale 99p

Sun Cream - 2.99p (But no lotion required)

Mineral water 80p (free from a tap)

Fags (cigarettes) 4.10p (pack of 20, last longer as your not allowed to smoke them anywhere)

Mug of Coffee 1.50p

Can of Coke 80p

Samsung mobile phone, new and boxed 4.95 (Carphone warehouse)

England is cheaper than Bangkok and the tourist destinations on most things.

Including: Property, prices here are crashing and will revert back to levels seen in year 2000, maybe beyond.

Rent, deflation is now in progress. Apartments can be bought in the UK for under 2 million baht, today.

Fuel is now down to 82p a litre

Clothes and electronics are much cheaper here than in rural Thailand never mind Bangkok.

I used to buy Leo Beer by the case for 450 Baht from the market, I can buy beer here much cheaper!

Used Cars here have to be the cheapest in the world right now.

Hotels can be had for under 50 pounds a night (room)

Now public transport is much more expensive, 5 pound + for a 5 minute taxi ride,

Bus and rail fairs are increasing considerably while flights are coming down in price

Lon to Bkk can be had for under 400 pounds.

Uk a holiday destination? :o:D:D

The UK is a great destination (I live there but am not from there...)

Not great for a sun and sand holiday, but the countryside/castles etc are worth the trip.

the price of popular holiday items, including a three-course evening meal with a bottle of wine, sun cream, mineral water, cigarettes, cup of coffee and can of Coke

mineral water, cigarettes, cup of coffee and coke are not popular holiday items.

airfare, cost of hotel accommodation, entrance fee to the museum/gallery and the other popular atractions, transport to/from the airport and within the country, cost of a day excursion etc are.

On top of it you have to compare the quality of the service - cairo's or mexico city mad taxi drivers don't compare to comfort, reliability and security of London's black cab.

thailand is still popular tourist destination, but you have what you pay for.

the UK is still a popular tourist destination - same as paris, rome or praque. Even more attractive than before because of the week pound.

UK Prices are plummeting at the moment. Thai Baht needs to be in the 60's for it to be considered a

bargain destination.

UK Prices and I am here right now.

So, you reckon the UK is cheaper than Bangkok if you wanna be so selective i will too, Thailand and prices i can get in red (baht converted to pound/ pence)

Meal - 2 can eat for 5 pounds in a pub restaurant

Meal - 2 can eat for 2 pounds in a nice restaurant

Pint of Ale 99p

Big bottle of Chang 70p

Sun Cream - 2.99p (But no lotion required)

????

Mineral water 80p (free from a tap)

Mineral Water 30p (1 baht for one liter from water stock up point)

Fags (cigarettes) 4.10p (pack of 20, last longer as your not allowed to smoke them anywhere)

Fags (cigerettes) 70p

Mug of Coffee 1.50p

Cup of Coffee 20p

Can of Coke 80p

Can of Coke 25p

Samsung mobile phone, new and boxed 4.95 (Carphone warehouse)

(UK wins)

England is cheaper than Bangkok and the tourist destinations on most things.

Including: Property, prices here are crashing and will revert back to levels seen in year 2000, maybe beyond.

Rent, deflation is now in progress. Apartments can be bought in the UK for under 2 million baht, today.

Apartments can be bought in Thailand for under 500,000 baht, today.

Fuel is now down to 82p a litre

Fuel is now down to 30p a litre

Clothes and electronics are much cheaper here than in rural Thailand never mind Bangkok.

Clothes! Got to be joking!

I used to buy Leo Beer by the case for 450 Baht from the market, I can buy beer here much cheaper!

I used come back from England and can swear that beer in your local minimart here is cheaper than beer at convenience store in England

Used Cars here have to be the cheapest in the world right now.

(UK wins, sure)

Hotels can be had for under 10 pounds a night (room)

Now public transport is much more expensive, 5 pound + for a 5 minute taxi ride,

Bus and rail fairs are increasing considerably while flights are coming down in price

Lon to Bkk can be had for under 400 pounds.

Edited by ThaiEye

Well, it's got to be house-appt/swap...??? I'd rather stay where I want and look after the place if someone wanted mine. So is there an opening for this at all.............???

You wouldn't worry too much about the plummet in Sterling, nor of the Bhat, but, a lovely -4 degrees we have at the moment in London................ahhh.......Thailand... :o

£40,000? Where?

I stayed at the Sofitel Sukhumvit for 8 nights for £45 a night and had what was basically a 1 bedroom apartment. I'm currently staying in a b&b in Paddington in a small single room for £45 a night. Value for money doesn't compare.

Again, how can uk2bkk honestly say that the UK is cheaper than Bangkok?

London vs Bangkok (normal local prices in baht)

Chicken fried rice take-away: Ldn = 150B / Bkk = 30B

5 Kilometer taxi-ride: Ldn = 300B / Bkk = 50B

5 kilometer bus ride: Ldn = 100B/ Bkk = 8 B

Cheap rented house per month: Ldn = 35,000 / Bkk = 6,000

Cheap apartment per month: Ldn = 30,000B / Bkk = 4,000

Sandwich (minimart): Ldn = 125B / Bkk = 30B

Rabies Jab: Ldn = 5,000B / Bkk = 500B

Tooth filling: Ldn = 5,000B / Bkk = 300B

Basic Rhinoplasty (nose job): Ldn = 100,000B / Bkk = 15,000

Professional massage (spa) per hour: Ldn = 3,500B = Bkk = 500B

As you can see some things in the UK are literally ten times more expensive than in Thailand! If you wanna be selective like uk2bkk that is.

By the way: where can i get a pint for 99p in London? The last time i was there i was paying more than 3 pound in the pub for a pint of beer, and all i got to look at was some sullen-faced Sheila of a bar-maid who thinks she's god's gift to men. Here in Thailand for less than 3 pound in a Thai discotheque i get to look at hot looking Coyote dancers!

Edited by ThaiEye

Unbelievable, some of the bickering (by Brits) going on lately about how expensive Thailand is.

But according to The Mirror newspaper:

The holiday pound is worth most in Thailand, report shows

Recession-hit Britons can make their summer holiday money go twice as far – by ditching resorts in Europe and going long-haul instead.

Hot spots in Thailand, Malaysia, South Africa and Kenya are offering families the best value as the pound slumps to a new low against the euro. Even though sterling has lost 24 per cent against the Thai baht since last January, Thailand still works out as the cheapest far-flung destination.

It is less than half the cost of Italy, the most expensive eurozone country, and 43 per cent cheaper than Spain.

South Africa – where sterling is actually slightly stronger than a year ago – is the second cheapest long-haul destination for spending money.

They will set tourists back £84.58 in Italy but the same items cost only £39.02 in Thailand.

Andrew Spice, of Post Office travel services who carried out the research, said: “Whereas the Thai baht, Egyptian pound and Malaysian ringgit have strengthened considerably against sterling, the cost of living in these places is much cheaper so holidaymakers will find their currency stretching a lot further than in most European resorts.”

Top 10 value destinations

Thailand - £39.02

South Africa - £45.50

Malaysia - £46.26

Kenya - £53.06

Spain - £68.38

Egypt - £69.13

USA - £73.92

Greece - £74.63

France - £79.08

Portugal - £80.97

Italy - £84.58

Mexico - £102.16

Barbados - £151.61

Odd how they left one of the most popular tourist destinations off the list i.e. Bali Indo as it is by far a better value for money than Thailand. :o

By the way: where can i get a pint for 99p in London?

Answer: any JD Wetherspoons's pub - obviously haven't been reading the news where this promotion has been questioned by anti-alcohol groups. It is true that Thailand is cheaper for very many things, but less so than in the past. I stick by my earlier posting that Bangkok hotels are trying to close the gap, and I don't agree with the point about clothes (if you mean quality clothes) being cheaper in Bangkok. My Thai wife has just been going around the UK sales and says that you can't get that value in Bangkok. I suppose these are exceptional times (and the real crash is yet to come) but prices in the Uk are really cheap at present, especially outside London.

Yes, I would certainly use The Mirror to back up a strawman argument. :o

The OP has been very selective in his price comparisons. Whatever way you dress it up, it is more expensive than it was, and a lot of things here now are as expensive as back at home.

I suppose if you holiday in Kao San road it still may be cheap, but it's hardly a great place.

Most of that 39 quid is the bottle of wine, half of what's left is the sun cream. Take those out and it's well under a fiver.

So advice to Uk tourists, come in the rainy season and drink beer!

UK is even cheaper when you consider we don't need to use sun tan lotion either over here!!

Yes, I would certainly use The Mirror to back up a strawman argument. :o

The OP has been very selective in his price comparisons. Whatever way you dress it up, it is more expensive than it was, and a lot of things here now are as expensive as back at home.

I suppose if you holiday in Kao San road it still may be cheap, but it's hardly a great place.

Khao San Road is now too expensive for the true backpackers and is more of a tourist ghetto. The real budget concious have moved out a few blocks apparently.

By the way: where can i get a pint for 99p in London?

Answer: any JD Wetherspoons's pub - obviously haven't been reading the news where this promotion has been questioned by anti-alcohol groups. It is true that Thailand is cheaper for very many things, but less so than in the past. I stick by my earlier posting that Bangkok hotels are trying to close the gap, and I don't agree with the point about clothes (if you mean quality clothes) being cheaper in Bangkok. My Thai wife has just been going around the UK sales and says that you can't get that value in Bangkok. I suppose these are exceptional times (and the real crash is yet to come) but prices in the Uk are really cheap at present, especially outside London.

I think it's only for IPA though.

I'll guarantee you something. The quality of the dinner, wine, cigarettes will be a lot higher in SA.

the price of popular holiday items, including a three-course evening meal with a bottle of wine, sun cream, mineral water, cigarettes, cup of coffee and can of Coke

mineral water, cigarettes, cup of coffee and coke are not popular holiday items.

airfare, cost of hotel accommodation, entrance fee to the museum/gallery and the other popular atractions, transport to/from the airport and within the country, cost of a day excursion etc are.

On top of it you have to compare the quality of the service - cairo's or mexico city mad taxi drivers don't compare to comfort, reliability and security of London's black cab.

thailand is still popular tourist destination, but you have what you pay for.

the UK is still a popular tourist destination - same as paris, rome or praque. Even more attractive than before because of the week pound.

You're making the classic mistake of thinking London is the UK. It most certainly is not. There are very few tourists to the "UK".

Not great for a sun and sand holiday, but the countryside/castles etc are worth the trip.

Oh, so you're not British, but have the audacity to claim the UK is full of tourists! Unbelievable!

Again, people, stop confusing "London" with "Thailand" and "the UK" with "Bangkok". Everyone is mixing their comparators to suit their argument.

Remember, the clown running the UK sold off our gold reserves at some lunatic $250 an ounce or something. Utter twit.

But didn't he use the money to buy a basket of currencies, including, presumably, the now much more valuable euro? Swings and roundabouts.

Politicians only ever do things on advisement, and no-one has a crystal ball.

Oh, so you're not British, but have the audacity to claim the UK is full of tourists! Unbelievable!

Again, people, stop confusing "London" with "Thailand" and "the UK" with "Bangkok". Everyone is mixing their comparators to suit their argument.

No but I have spent over 20 years of my life here and have been all over, so I know what I'm talking about.

Uk a holiday destination? :o:D :D

Many people don't agree with you.

UK tourist arrivals were 25,515,000 people. World ranking #5.

Thailand tourist arrivals were 7,294,000 people. World ranking #17.

There's no accounting for taste......

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/eco_tou_...ourist-arrivals

How are those figures worked out? I presume they are total arrivals, which includes UK residents returning from holiday, transfers etc, not to mention millions of economic migrants coming and going.

Besides, anyone believe the UK has any idea about border control? I don't.