Gay Life In Chiang Rai

matt268

I am most probably going to be moving to Chiang Rai to take up my new position for a couple of years. Does anyone know of any decent GAY venues/massage etc places there to visit? I heard of Lobos and Regency but they both seem to be ripping customers off !

Cheers.

I am most probably going to be moving to Chiang Rai to take up my new position for a couple of years. Does anyone know of any decent GAY venues/massage etc places there to visit? I heard of Lobos and Regency but they both seem to be ripping customers off !

Cheers.

Lobos and Reganecy are both cheap by the standards of anywhere else in the country so I don't know about ripping anyone off, though you do have to watch the freaky captain and the bill in Lobos :D Also, heard it has now moved to a smaller venue round the corner, not much going on. Anyway, I've always had a good time in these places :o

Other than that the night bazzar is quite cruisy, especially some of the waiters :D There is a disco along the street from the clock tower (About 2 blocks west) which has a large gay contingent on a Saturday night. There are two places in one building its the downstairs one and the gay area used to be at the back on the right though haven't been for about 18 months.

Hi Matt268.

Congrats for your new position in Chiang Mai.

There is more than bars and saunas in CM. There is a non-commercial social gay life worth discovering.

Go to www.longyangclub.org and click on the Chiang Mai chapter at the top of the main page.

They will give you all the informations you need before your move and then some.

Good luck my friend.

TIPSYBOB.

I have a home in CR and my BF is living and working there now while I am in the US. A new massage shop/spa opened in 2008 with gay massage boys. I saw the flyer in Lobo, and a friend of mine who was visiting actually went by talked with the owners. I have not checked it out and don't know the name of it but you could find out at Lobo.

I like the laid back vibe in the two CR bars and have never had a problem with my check bin. I always like the boys at Lobo better and have taken off the captain and boys there for a long night at the discos. I always have a great time.

My Bf always arranges for me to meet local boys which is fun. I see gay boys in any of the large discos and if you buy them a drink most would help you pick up a guy.

CR is great except for lack of a good movie theater and an English book shop, but CM is close. I love the area, the mountains, and the many great day trips. Doi Mae Salong is my favorite place in Thailand.

Look on gayromeo to meet some local guys and once you know a few nice guys it will be very easy to make friends with people in CR. Plus, there are two very large Universities.

Good luck and enjoy your stay. I will home in CR in mid-Feb, so feel free to look me up then if you wanna meet for drinks,\.

Thanks alot..that is really useful..l will be going for work (just returned today from an inpsectionb)..rather quiet but a lovely place !! just need some gay life !!! thanks alot...

I have a home in CR and my BF is living and working there now while I am in the US. A new massage shop/spa opened in 2008 with gay massage boys. I saw the flyer in Lobo, and a friend of mine who was visiting actually went by talked with the owners. I have not checked it out and don't know the name of it but you could find out at Lobo.

I like the laid back vibe in the two CR bars and have never had a problem with my check bin. I always like the boys at Lobo better and have taken off the captain and boys there for a long night at the discos. I always have a great time.

My Bf always arranges for me to meet local boys which is fun. I see gay boys in any of the large discos and if you buy them a drink most would help you pick up a guy.

CR is great except for lack of a good movie theater and an English book shop, but CM is close. I love the area, the mountains, and the many great day trips. Doi Mae Salong is my favorite place in Thailand.

Look on gayromeo to meet some local guys and once you know a few nice guys it will be very easy to make friends with people in CR. Plus, there are two very large Universities.

Good luck and enjoy your stay. I will home in CR in mid-Feb, so feel free to look me up then if you wanna meet for drinks,\.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi sorry for my late reply, no l am not going to work for a uni. l am going to work for a new resort.....

good question re hospital,.. during my inspection did not see so many hospitals there

Out of interest, are you going to work at the uni (s)?

Also--does anyone know if there is a good hospital in CR?? I mean good enough for scans, heart surgery and stuff.

P ed

Mat don't you read/write Thai? If so check out the main Thai gay website/photo site there used to be many guys on there from CR (Though most are not chasing farang .. some do)

hi there, no unfortunately not, but l am fluent in speaking.......but thanks for the advise....will be there from next week.

I used to live in Chiang Rai for a couple of years. Nothing special about the two bars mentionned above. I went there a couple of times. Never got ripped off. Just paid what I had ordered. The only things is that very few of the guys who work there speak or understand English or just a little. So I got bored really quickly.

But the gay community meets almost every night to play volleyball near the river, opposite a big resort. I can't remember the name of the place but people play tennis, badminton or jogging there. Just look on a map it's on a kind of island but in the city centre near the Kok river.

The guys there are friendly, some like to practice their English and it's fun to watch them playing volleyball. They're quite good at it. Some ladyboys too. That was the best way for me to meet gay guys who are not sex workers.

But keep in mind, Chiang Rai is not Bangkok.....

Good luck with your new life

I used to live in Chiang Rai for a couple of years. Nothing special about the two bars mentionned above. I went there a couple of times. Never got ripped off. Just paid what I had ordered. The only things is that very few of the guys who work there speak or understand English or just a little. So I got bored really quickly.

But the gay community meets almost every night to play volleyball near the river, opposite a big resort. I can't remember the name of the place but people play tennis, badminton or jogging there. Just look on a map it's on a kind of island but in the city centre near the Kok river.

The guys there are friendly, some like to practice their English and it's fun to watch them playing volleyball. They're quite good at it. Some ladyboys too. That was the best way for me to meet gay guys who are not sex workers.

But keep in mind, Chiang Rai is not Bangkok.....

Good luck with your new life

Gay volleyball is popular at Sanam Gila in Chiang Mai too; regular evening event i understand :o

• 2 weeks later...
Mat don't you read/write Thai? If so check out the main Thai gay website/photo site there used to be many guys on there from CR (Though most are not chasing farang .. some do)

hi there, no unfortunately not, but l am fluent in speaking.......but thanks for the advise....will be there from next week.

I knew that your speaking was far better than mine :o

I'll take a look at that site again tmw and see if there are still a bunch of CR guys on it or not.

I knew that your speaking was far better than mine :o

I'll take a look at that site again tmw and see if there are still a bunch of CR guys on it or not.

kob khun krab.. it is rather quiet up here but a wonderfully beautiful place !!! My staff are all so friendly and really try their best.... a great place to be working !!!

• 1 month later...

Hi P'ed.

Re hospitals been to several now and to be very honest Overbrook is the best l think. The Kasemrad Sriburin is dirty and uses shower curtains to seperate cubicales......

Not impressed with the hospitals at all.........Matt

Out of interest, are you going to work at the uni (s)?

Also--does anyone know if there is a good hospital in CR?? I mean good enough for scans, heart surgery and stuff.

P ed

• 1 month later...

I've also just arrived to live and work in Chiang Rai (I've signed a one-year contract).

I have no friends or people I know here; considering that I'm very social being and cannot survive without communication, friends or just a good companion to drink and laugh and chat, I'm begging for your help and support :)

I've also just arrived to live and work in Chiang Rai (I've signed a one-year contract).

I have no friends or people I know here; considering that I'm very social being and cannot survive without communication, friends or just a good companion to drink and laugh and chat, I'm begging for your help and support :)

You bloody gays are everywhere.......lol

• 2 years later...

Hi guys,

I'm with my boyfriend and friend going to CR next week but just for 1 night. I need to check a gay scene in that city. I found out just 2 gay bars (Logo and Regency) and 1 gay massage (Banrao). So may be any local expat can help me with information about gay life in CR. May be that bars closed already. May be some places was open in a few last month. What about gay saunas. Unbelievable if in CR have no gay sauans - thai gays addicted to saunas!

Anyway will be happy to meet someone for talking and drinking

Regards!

Edited by arochev

I went with a straight friend to Chiang Rai a few months ago while I was living in Chiang Mai. He went off to do his straight thing, and I my gay thing for the night. I didn't think much of it as far as gay life was concerned. I only found one "gay" bar, I forget what it was called, but the guys there were as far removed from gay as you could get. Most of them were pretty obviously straight, and maybe it was just me but I felt a bit of an atmosphere in there too. I didn't feel all that safe taking one of them off, so I ended up chatting to a guy from Malaysia who'd bought some Thai friends from Pattaya up North for a few days, and we all went for a drive and something to eat together.

The next night, after doing a bit of research on the net I thought I'd found another bar but when I turned up, it turned out to be the same bar I was in the previous night. I went in anyway and again I felt a bit of an atmosphere in there. One guy who was obviously some kind of mamasan type of character forced a boy to sit next to me but the boy couldn't have looked less interested in me if he tried. I went outside for a cigarette and tried to talk to some of the boys who were also smoking out there but my Thai wasn't so good at the stage, and they didn't seem to have any interest in talking to me anyway. I had been told by the Malaysian guy the previous night that most of the guys were from Burma anyway and didn't even speak Thai.

At one point the mamasan character came out and was talking to the other boys, clearly about me as he was looking at me while he was talking. I couldn't work out exactly what he was saying but I recognised the word "boxing" before the other boys started to laugh. By the way he said it it seemed to me that he was referring to having some kind of fight with me. Needless to say I left shortly after and met up with my straight friend who was having just as bad luck trying to find a girl for the night.

We ended up in a girly bar (not my scene obviously but it was either that or go back to the hotel) but we were the only two customers in there. A couple of very rough looking girls started talking to us and wanted us to buy them a drink. My friend obliged to the one that was talking to him but I refused the girl talking to me as I didn't want to give her any wrong impressions. Shortly after that a couple of very rough looking Thai guys came in and they all went outside for a talk. The atmosphere changed dramatically and I told my friend we should leave. Shortly after the guys came back in and started hassling my friend for money in quite an aggressive tone. He politely refused and we decided to pay the bar bill and leave. The bar bill was extortionate considering we''d only had one beer each and the one my friend bought the girl, but we weren't going to argue and were glad to leave the place in one piece.

All in all I didn't really enjoy my time in Chiang Rai. Outside of the sex scene (gay and straight) it's a nice and relaxing place. There's a huge open air restaurant/bar in the center of town which has live acts performing, which I enjoyed, and the town itself is nice to wander around in. But there's very little for the gay man to do. Maybe if you're with your Thai boyfriend you may have a nicer experience than me.

1. May be some places was open in a few last month.

2.What about gay saunas. Unbelievable if in CR have no gay sauans -

@1.no-more likely it was closed.

@2.nonsense-in provincial TH there are only gay sauna's in HaadYai, Khon Khaen, Ubol and was in Khorat (raided by police in jan-as they also did massage+more-unknown if now closed or open again). About how to meet local gays in provincial towns-there have been numerous posting about tactics-but success is never garanteed.

Try mangosociety.com for more listings-its Thai, click on forum- scroll down, find list in latin-click on. The googlemaps only work if you subscribe, which is only possible in Thai script.