Returning To Oz - Immigration Entry Stamp

I just notified my Health Insurance Company that I will require to reinstate my membership with them when I return to Oz soon. Have to have boarding pass and copy of entry stamp attached to the form. OK fine with that. Its just that the email also stated "ensure you receive your entry stamp on arrival into Australia, we are noticing a considerably large amount of members who are not receiving their stamp and should this occur it results in an inconvenience for yourself..............".

So I was just wondering,  is this just an oversight when people are returning home through immigration. I received a stamp last time I went back, and can understand if occasionally some people would pass through and be so tired from the flight,  they just dont get one and not even realize it. Or from immigrations point of view, it is not necessary for them to place the stamp in returning resident's passports anymore? Apart from the requirement of this company, has anyone not got a stamp and had problems (inconvenience) as a result?

tks

I just notified my Health Insurance Company that I will require to reinstate my membership with them when I return to Oz soon. Have to have boarding pass and copy of entry stamp attached to the form. OK fine with that. Its just that the email also stated "ensure you receive your entry stamp on arrival into Australia, we are noticing a considerably large amount of members who are not receiving their stamp and should this occur it results in an inconvenience for yourself..............".

So I was just wondering,  is this just an oversight when people are returning home through immigration. I received a stamp last time I went back, and can understand if occasionally some people would pass through and be so tired from the flight,  they just dont get one and not even realize it. Or from immigrations point of view, it is not necessary for them to place the stamp in returning resident's passports anymore? Apart from the requirement of this company, has anyone not got a stamp and had problems (inconvenience) as a result?

tks

Just ask the immigration officer to stamp it and you wont have a problem.

Resident return visas should be stamped on entry.

So I was just wondering, is this just an oversight when people are returning home through immigration. I received a stamp last time I went back, and can understand if occasionally some people would pass through and be so tired from the flight, they just dont get one and not even realize it. Or from immigrations point of view, it is not necessary for them to place the stamp in returning resident's passports anymore? Apart from the requirement of this company, has anyone not got a stamp and had problems (inconvenience) as a result?

tks

That would be my advice too

Regards

bridge

Edited by bridge

So I was just wondering, is this just an oversight when people are returning home through immigration. I received a stamp last time I went back, and can understand if occasionally some people would pass through and be so tired from the flight, they just dont get one and not even realize it. Or from immigrations point of view, it is not necessary for them to place the stamp in returning resident's passports anymore? Apart from the requirement of this company, has anyone not got a stamp and had problems (inconvenience) as a result?

tks

:o Oz Immigration now has chip recognition at Melb & Brisbane arrivals. This means that u place the page in your passport where the chip is inserted for on screen recognition and no person is there to do any stamping. This may be the procedure that Ins co. is referring to. However, having said that, if your passport does not have this ability (passports issued since I think 2007), you will still need to have the personal touch.

The current procedure appears NOT to stamp Australian passports on exit and re-entry to Australia (unless it seems if you were stamped on exit) - this is not limited to the new micro chipped passports (whether or not you elect to use the express lane as its not mandatory). When I say "current" - been the case for the last 5 years or so. I've been behind people leaving Australia when they were asked if they wanted their new passport to be stamped (and had mine stamped 6 years ago because it was "new"). I recall asking some time ago why they don't stamp anymore and the person I spoke to said they (Aus Imm) rely more on their computer systems then what's stamped and the non stamping extends the life of the passport – seemed a logical explanation. They will stamp upon request - just be ready to explain why to satisfy their personal curiosity and if they don't want to (can't imagine why except if the immigration officer is having a bad day) speak to a supervisor.

Forgot to say...if your private insurance is telling you it wants it, then do it. If you are talking about Medicare - they have to determine your eligibility and I can personally say from experience its better not to use your passport as a form of ID as they will go through it with great delight and ask a large number of questions. Of course if you don't use it, if you tell them you've been overseas (why your medicare card hasn't be renewed or whatever) then they WILL want to see your passport and hence the "entry stamp" so they can determine your length of absence from Australia and determine as said before your eligibility - Aus citizen or not.

Edited by Isee

I work for an insurance company here Australia and many of them aren't aware that passports no longer get stamped. The company I work for is happy if a customer sends in a copy of their boarding pass or a copy of their ticket or e-ticket. Just ask your insurance company if they are ok with that.

That's it, you just ask for the stamp and you will get it.

BTW: What Health Insurance Company's are asking for this further proof, I'm with Medibank Private and they have only required the returning Boarding Pass in the past and I haven't heard if they have updated this requirement!

Hi Kaz,

Australian Insurance Company's will only allow you to be out of the country for 1 year to resume your insurance policy, otherwise back to being new member.

To qualify, you have to fill out a form in Australia prior to departure, i am pretty sure you can not back dated.

I was with MBF and this was the info i got last time in was in Australia, about 6 months ago.

Hope it helps

tks

As an Oz citizen you don't need a stamp on entry but can request one.

Thanks everyone for info.

The company is HIF in WA, fairly small I would say but have been with them for many years when I lived/worked there. Lots of hoo ha the first few months while I was away with temporary suspension forms and such (finally they agreed to a further one year), they have clearly stated in recent email that immediate cover will apply (in my case) from the day of return, provided all correct docs are provided and contributions paid for within one month. If not, then then the new member/reinstatment rules come into effect. Hence, if this is the case (for immediate cover), I will obtain what ever they ask for i.e passport stamped. :o

Thanks to the poster who included info on medicare as I was wondering about this also, will have to go and see them, the card is now way out of date.

Oh, I am soooo excited to be returning and dealing with all this fun stuff! Not.

Cheers

You can put your membership on hold with Medibank private - I think for a max of 5 years - guess so long as you are financial.

Plus, I haven't had my passport stamped either out / in since 2001.

Edited by Artisi

I work for an insurance company here Australia and many of them aren't aware that passports no longer get stamped. The company I work for is happy if a customer sends in a copy of their boarding pass or a copy of their ticket or e-ticket. Just ask your insurance company if they are ok with that.

It is nothing new but varies quite a lot. Sometimes I get one, sometimes I don't.

Thanks to the poster who included info on medicare as I was wondering about this also, will have to go and see them, the card is now way out of date.

Cheers

No problems, they will ask you why you never renewed it, last address etc. What you say is up to you, I told them that I haven't needed medical care and didn't have an immediate need to chase it up (moved in the meantime). I think mine had expired about 4 or more years before (still had the old card - but had told them I'd lost it until I found it in my wallet). You might have some probs if you can't show enough ID to satisfy their proof of residence. They were looking at all the trips I have done to Thailand and time spent to determine whether I was a "resident of Australia". If you haven't been absent for the last 5 years, I would just avoid the issue being raised and thus avoid the hassles.

The ID they require is not to satisfy the 100 point test, it is to determine your residency status (after showing my drivers licence and passport, they STILL wanted more proof of my "connection" with Australia).I personally think I would have got it with showing my CC's and DL and rates notice which I took along as backup. You might have to wait a little while if you don't have any bills/mail that will aid you.

Hello all,

I am new to this site. I was wondering if anyone knows how long it takes for an Australian permanent resident to bring his wife to Au on Immigrant visa? Is it better to apply for partner visa and fill out the paperwork in the Au or to apply for immigration from the beginning?

Thanks

Hello all,

I am new to this site. I was wondering if anyone knows how long it takes for an Australian permanent resident to bring his wife to Au on Immigrant visa? Is it better to apply for partner visa and fill out the paperwork in the Au or to apply for immigration from the beginning?

Thanks

First up you would be better to start a new thread for a better response to your question and secondly do a search of earlier postings for info' as this has been discussed previously.