When will you return to Thailand?

baht&sold

When will you return?

At the risk of being called 'insensitive' ...for all those who say they won't return this season 'out of respect' of course that's entirely understandable. I wonder though, are you going to employ thousands upon thousands of locals if you all cancel, 'out of respect' ?

Not suggesting you rush to the remaining areas of rescue/recovery operations where you would be in the way, or even before the last recovery is made. But there comes a point where one must decide how best to support local people (if you think they'll receive full pay cheques from the Govt, think again).

Millions are watching the news networks as the reporters clambor onto smaller and smaller areas of the worst wreckage (to ensure there are no errant camera views of other areas?) This unbalanced reporting, almost completely ignoring the clean up ongoing and rejuvenation effort has now degenerated to a goulish ratings 'competition'...

What are they going to do when there's one last pile of debris? Will there be 20 news people all getting on the same pile, even tighter camera angles?

"Total destruction here, as you can plainly see...back to you Bob"...

Of course there remain areas of utter devastation but the apprehensive tourists out there in cable news land only see that tragic view, over and over and over...

Meanwhile, a devasting economic tsunami is poised to hit, depending on response.

If that should sadly happen, you can bet a vastly reduced amount of news cameras will only then mention the terrible loss of hope surviving locals will be enduring...all too late.

Below is just one statement and there are more like it starting to appear whilst you watch the news services compete for ratings:

-----

Statement from Krabi Seaview Resort

This email comes from André Gysin, the General Manager of Krabi Seaview Resort in Ao Nang:

"The Krabi Seaview Resort is presently still fully booked, but we face lots of cancellations in January and February. Beside of the fact that we are fully operational, please try to convince your clients/friends/relatives/colleagues that they can only help to overcome this disaster BY NOT CANCELLING THEIR RESERVATION. Everybody here, ESPECIALLY THAI PEOPLE, need to keep their job and need to earn money to survive! One more reason which should convince people to not cancel their holidays here in Ao Nang/Krabi.

We are already going out to regions which are badly hurt like Khao Lak and Phuket, bringing them clothes, shoes, medicine, food, water and money (we have collected already more than Baht 350,000 [in the resort]) to help. But we cannot help if we lose all our reservations...

Thank you for considering these words..."

Edited by bahtandsold

When will you return?

At the risk of being called 'insensitive' ...for all those who say they won't return this season 'out of respect' of course that's entirely understandable. I wonder though, are you going to employ thousands upon thousands of locals if you all cancel, 'out of respect' ?

Not suggesting you rush to the remaining areas of rescue/recovery operations where you would be in the way, or even before the last recovery is made. But there comes a point where one must decide how best to support local people (if you think they'll receive full pay cheques from the Govt, think again).

Millions are watching the news networks as the reporters clambor onto smaller and smaller areas of the worst wreckage (to ensure there are no errant camera views of other areas?) This unbalanced reporting, almost completely ignoring the clean up ongoing and rejuvenation effort has now degenerated to a goulish ratings 'competition'...

What are they going to do when there's one last pile of debris? Will there be 20 news people all getting on the same pile, even tighter camera angles?

Of course there remain areas of utter devastation but the apprehensive tourists out there in cable news land only see that tragic view, over and over and over...

Meanwhile, a devasting economic tsunami is poised to hit, depending on response.

If that should sadly happen, you can bet a vastly reduced amount of news cameras will only then mention the terrible loss of hope surviving locals will be enduring...all too late.

Below is just one statement and there are more like it starting to appear whilst you watch the news services compete for ratings:

-----

This email comes from André Gysin, the General Manager of Krabi Seaview Resort in Ao Nang:

"The Krabi Seaview Resort is presently still fully booked, but we face lots of cancellations in January and February. Beside of the fact that we are fully operational, please try to convince your clients/friends/relatives/colleagues that they can only help to overcome this disaster BY NOT CANCELLING THEIR RESERVATION. Everybody here, ESPECIALLY THAI PEOPLE, need to keep their job and need to earn money to survive! One more reason which should convince people to not cancel their holidays here in Ao Nang/Krabi.

We are already going out to regions which are badly hurt like Khao Lak and Phuket, bringing them clothes, shoes, medicine, food, water and money (we have collected already more than Baht 350,000 [in the resort]) to help. But we cannot help if we lose all our reservations...

It is tragic though it feels so inappropriate to describe what has happened so succintly.

Everyone has seen the news coverage of the devastation that has been wrought upon Thailand (I cannot speak for the other countries as I have no first-hand knowledge) but the news is not providing a balanced coverage. Many areas were, by the grace of god, unaffected and some areas were relativley lightly hit. For these places, and the people who trade and work there (the East coast, Chalong, Rawai, Nai Harn, Nui Beach, Kata Noi, Kata and Karon) the economic devastation being wrought is adding to the Tsunami's damage.

I echo the words above. Please spread the word that life must go on.

I am going to Phuket next week, though my wife is frightened of the ghosts.

In the hotel I am booked for, the pool bar was closed for a few days, but otherwise its operational.

Of course they are going to want to clean up and move on, Phuketeers aren't going to want to leave grisly reminders floating in the swimming pool - 'lest we forget'.

Obviously, as a tourist one still behaves in an sensitive and common sense way given the circumstances - i'm not going to be walking around Patong with my underpants over my head, cackling like a hyena.

Coming back to Phuket later this month - immediately is too soon, given the extent of suffering and recovery ongoing right now.

I'm also encouraging a bunch of friends from Australia to join me for a holiday, the basic theme being to spend as much money as we can around southern Thailand to do our bit to help the local economy get back on its feet.

As far as I can see, after making donations this week - one of the greatest ways to help once people have started to pick up the pieces - is to get the tourist economy up and running.

So I figure we'll take some tours, buy a bunch of of stuff from a bunch of different vendors, eat in a bunch of restaurants, stay in some different hotels.

Can't hurt, surely?

This morning got the following e-mail...

While there is no diminishing the tragedy that has hit the whole Indian Ocean region following last Sunday's earthquake and Tsunami - and all at IMAGE asia offer their heartfelt condolences to everyone who has suffered - there is concern that international news agencies' reporting of the consequences is less than balanced.

The majority of hotels, beaches and tourist facilities in Phuket, Krabi and Koh Lanta are operating normally.

Yet, as always with media coverage of tragic events, images and words focus on the devastion, loss of life and damage.

Because of the disproportionately high number of foreign tourists in Phuket and other Thai holiday destinations compared with other affected countries, international media coverage has also been disproportionate to the extent of damage in Thailand compared with elsewhere.

All the time urgent and immediate relief efforts go on, international news services focus on the grisly aspects of the disaster. Reporters tell the world the story of devastation; cameras capture the rubble and the bodies. They tell of total destruction here - a gross distortion of the truth.

And while doing so, they destroy the livelihood of the survivors in the coming months. Thousands upon thousands of Thai nationals earn their living from tourism. Once the immediate impact is over, survivors face not only the grief of their losses, but many will face unemployment with no income to sustain their families.

Certain areas of Southern Thailand, such as Kao Lak and Phi Phi Island, were very badly affected, but it is increasingly clear that many parts of Phuket and Krabi provinces remain almost untouched - some areas completely unaffected! - and countless resorts are operating at, or near, normal levels.

Hard to believe too is that - while many small speedboats and local 'longtail' boats moored near or on beaches suffered loss and damage - not a single yacht was lost out of the many, many sailing yachts moored in marinas and bays around Phuket for the holiday season!

Many tourists who escaped injury or loss, and whose accommodation remains intact, have decided to stay on. As each day passes more and more can be seen swimming, sunbathing, dining out, drinking and making the most of the rest of their holiday. Much of Patong Beach's entertainment area was cleared and operating in time for their New Year's Eve celebrations.

Yet cancellations are on the horizon. Cancellations of the tourism income that local families desperately need to begin rebuilding their lives and their businesses. While it is understandable that some may prefer not to continue with their holiday plans in Thailand, on behalf of all those who derive their livelihood from tourism, we ask them to pause for thought...

..to take a look at the images we have posted on this website, check out the status of hotels and beaches here and on other sites before you make your decision.

The Thais have achieved well-deserved acclaim for their hospitality and the warmth of their welcome for visitors. In the present situation, that welcome will be especially warm and hospitable for those who decide to continue with their travel plans.

Please pass on this message to anyone you think may be interested in the 'other story'.

For photo library (from 26-31 Dec 2004) go to:

http://www.image-asia.com/post_tsunami_photo_gallery.htm

For beach & hotel status go to:

http://www.image-asia.com/post_tsunami_hot...each_status.htm

Everyone has seen the news coverage of the devastation that has been wrought upon Thailand (I cannot speak for the other countries as I have no first-hand knowledge) but the news is not providing a balanced coverage.

In Belgium coverage has been almost exclusive about phuket.

While the biggest disaster is in Khao lak 200 km's north.

As said before the are even worse areas then thailand where the international media just gives meager coverage.

Only BBC World gives good , balanced and unpredjudiced coverage from all areas.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.asp?id=3913

Huge progress made in Patong cleanup

PATONG: Just five days after the tsunami hit Patong Beach, astonishing progress has been made with the clean-up of the resort town.

Tourists are back in the water or strolling along the sand, though the view is very different from the clutter that existed before the wave hit. With no beach chairs or umbrellas, one can now look along the entire three-kilometer stretch of sand.

A few boats dot the bright blue sea, now flat calm after the massive upheaval on December 26, and gone are the troublesome jet-skis and para-sailing speedboats.

It’s quieter, too, with no vendors selling soft drinks, no motorbikes, no rental cars and no tuk-tuks to disturb the town’s new-found peace. It’s almost as though the beach has been sent back in time to 20 years ago.

On the other side of the beach road, however, the damage from the tsunami is all too evident, with huge piles of rubble dotting the landscape.

Workers from Patong Municipality are working alongside employees of local businesses cleaning up the area around their workplaces.

Sadly, many of the trees that were such a feature of the beachfront, offering welcome shade from the sun, seem fated to die. Yellowing leaves carpet the brown grass as too much salt in the ground takes its toll.

Panu Maswongsa, Marketing Director of Patong Beach Resort and Vice-President of Marketing of the Phuket Tourist Association, told the Gazette that the occupancy rate of the resort before the tsunami was about 70%, but after the wave hit, all the guests were moved to others hotels. The resort will be closed for repairs and renovation.

“The water was about waist-deep and damaged guest rooms, the generator, the swimming pool and the air conditioning, so we will be closed somewhere between a month and three months.

“I believe the damage to Patong overall is about 30% – mostly the businesses next to the beach,” K. Panu added.

Some anger is being felt in Patong about the depiction of the town by the media. A member of a Marine Security unit sent by the US Embassy in Bangkok to help with the clean-up, echoed those feelings when he said he was not happy with media, especially TV, for showing only pictures of the damage.

“Many people have been helping to clean up Patong since the first day and many employees are back at work, but the television stations still show pictures of the damage. In fact, everything looks much better now. In Patong only the [beach] road and some hotels were damaged, but the beach looks so beautiful now.

“Why don’t they update their pictures?” he asked.

In Kamala, the area of Phuket probably worst hit by the wave, the beach is also mostly clean, but infrastructural damage is much more apparent, with the large bites taken out of the beach road by the tsunami.

The area behind is a scene of devastation. The wooden school vanished when the wave smashed its way across the main road and into the village beyond. The nearby wat was also severely damaged.

Soldiers, Kamala council workers and local people are all working hard to clear up the area.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...tsunami_tourism

Tourists Return to the Beaches of Thailand

World - AP Asia

By MIRANDA LEITSINGER, Associated Press Writer

PHUKET, Thailand - Six days after one of the worst natural disasters in decades, foreign tourists were back on the beaches of this Thai resort island Saturday, frolicking in the gentle waves of the Andaman Sea, riding jet skis, posing for snapshots and sunbathing topless on the sand.

That was mindboggling — and infuriating — for island resident Aime Yodkaew, as she swept away debris.

"I just figure if everyone uses about an hour of their holiday time (to help clean up), this would help a lot for the locals," said Yodkaew, a Swede who lives on the island with her Thai husband.

But Yodkaew acknowledged that as soon as tourists get back to indulging in the sort of fun Phuket was famous for before the catastrophe — the sooner her husband's sailboard and catamaran rental business will be able to start making money again.

A dozen or so foreigners were out sunbathing Saturday on Karon Beach, still littered with garbage, dead plants and leaves — a reminder of the giant waves that struck on Sunday, killing more than 4,800 people in Thailand, more than half of them foreigners. By Saturday, more than 6,000 were still missing and feared dead. Across southern Asia and eastern Africa more than 123,000 people died.

Along the beach, students from an international school were clearing up debris left by the waves and stuffing it into garbage bags. The foreigners relaxed a few steps from a store with windows blown out by the giant waves.

Tourists are the lifeblood of this beautiful island in southern Thailand and this is the peak for overseas visitors, a warm, dry season coinciding with the depth of northern winters.

Thailand's resort islands, like much of the region, were a patchwork of devastation. Some hotels were wiped out, while others were untouched or minimally damaged.

"A lot of people haven't left the island, a lot of people who were there have just continued having their holidays," said John Everingham, who publishes Phuket Magazine for visiting tourists. "Definitely less than 10 percent of hotel rooms in Phuket are closed."

By contrast, another popular but much smaller island, Phi Phi — where the 2000 Leonardo DiCaprio movie "The Beach" was filmed — was wiped out almost entirely. The worst loss of life was on the mainland north of Phuket, where more than 3,000 bodies already have been found.

The Finance Ministry estimated that the tsunamis will likely shave just 0.3 of a percentage point from gross domestic product growth in 2005.

"The Thai tourism industry hasn't been affected much by this event," Finance Minister Somkid Jatusripitak told reporters. "Foreign tourists may be scared for a short while, but I think in the next two to three months at most, their fears will fade away."

For some, the fears had faded by Saturday.

On New Year's Eve, hundreds of people quietly clutched white roses and candles as they reflected on the tragedy at a vigil, but elsewhere on Phuket scantily clad women danced in nightclubs while Western tourists drank and partied to loud music.

Jinni Woolf, 26, of Denmark, was on Phuket when the waves hit and was still there Saturday, soaking up the sun on the beach.

"We just can't sit at the hotel and I also think it's very important, like people who have been in a motorcycle accident to ride again to overcome (their fear)," Woolf said.

Charles Vickson, a Buddhist visiting from Hong Kong, said that at Phuket's Laguna resort, which was not badly affected by the waves, he saw bronzed European tourists return to sunbathing by the pool just minutes after the tsunamis.

"They laid out their towel ... and the lady, with her headphones on, resumed her sunbathing as if nothing had happened," he said.

Keep it going everyone.

Would simply like the intnl news networks to present a balanced present and ongoing view of Phuket. To that end, IF you agree, just 2 requests:

1) Diligently Email every intnl news station IF you feel they're being unbalanced

2) Talk to as many of your Phuket colleagues as possible and ask them to post their balanced view here. Local Thais, small & large business owners, everyone.

As it is, all our friends in Phuket have absolutely no voice in the one-sided 'disaster ratings ghoul sweepstakes' focus of intnl news stations. OVER and OVER and OVER again.

A reporter 'colourfully' referred to a certain beach yesterday as being quote "like a meat sandwich". Utterly disgraceful and I was on the email to them in an instant. (my sincere apologies for repeating the reporters reprehensible comment here but it is unfortunately neccesary)

Enough!. If you want balanced reporting and NO further 'colourful' ghoulish phrasing (thank you) get the word out, now.

Also, I had dinner at a popular 'locals' pub in Bangkok tonight. Phuket was THE topic of conversation of course. Talking to a few local Bangkok business people there, I asked when they thought visitors to Phuket might return? To my dismay, the answer varied between 'one to three YEARS'. (!!) I hardly feel that's an informed response.

So, I asked why they thought that. The response was an incredulous, "have you SEEN those pictures on the news???" (sigh) I can only imagine what Mr & Mrs avg potential tourist back in the UK, or anywhere must also be thinking...

There's an uplifting story out there amongst this tragedy (probably many) and we need to hear it, and soon. To heal, to move forward and most importantly, to keep local jobs and hopes intact.

Support Phuket, demand balanced reporting.

Edited by bahtandsold

My husbond and I are coming to Kata beach in 4 weeks, and I cant wait!!

Allthough, I must say, this tragedy mages me sick to my stomack, and we are expecting a bit of a different hollyday that we first thought.

First we wanted to cancel oure hotel and stay in "safe Norway". But then we thought again, and came to the conclusion that we will go, will meet the beautyful people in Thailand, and support as we know how to: visit the place and keep their busines intact!

Greetings from Norway,

Kristine

Wiki's Web

I agree that to help Phuket come back when you can and spread the molney around.

DON"T prepay your holiday as the money does not get to the locals that way. Book your first night and then find a nice place,

Go eat in the local restaurnts, shop in the mini marts, but trinkets and gifts form the locals, take tours.

Most important get out, It is not all bad. many great places still open and the visiable damage in most places will be gone in a month.

Last night it rained and today the sun is out!!

just sent the following as a mail to BBC, SKY, ITV and C4 which are the main news providers here in the UK. Feel free to copy/paste to your country-specific news agencies if you agree with my sentiments.

I'm in Patong/Karon & Ao Nang in 3 weeks and 100% for sure will be spreading my "tourist £££" as far and wide as possible.

Hi,

Whilst I appreciate that your coverage has been geared towards the impact that this horrific act of nature has had on all the Asian countries involved, I am VERY disappointed that you have focussed on the human and infrastructure damage almost exclusively.

As a frequent visitor to Thailand with a Thai fiancée, I am very familiar with Phuket and Krabi areas and have friends there. As a consequence, I am in constant communications with them and also with people with a much more “ground level” view via http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showforum=56

I’d recommend that you visit this site and then please to ask your program producers to include news items covering the indomitable positivity of both the Thai people and local expats whom mostly depend on tourist cash to live. I understand that your remit is to report the news, but please, strike a balance now that the disaster is firmly in our minds and hearts and use your powerful media to promote the area as a still viable and beautiful tourism venue (this goes for all of the affected countries, not just Thailand).

Remember, unfortunately, the human psyche as it is, is likely to “demote” the importance of this catastrophe as time goes by and the phenomenal level of donations will start to deline, but people will still be thinking about where they wish to holiday. You can help as tourist cash is constant whereas charity is time-specific. Six days have now passed since the tragedy and the recovery (certainly in the tourist areas of Thailand) has been nothing short of remarkable. Please do all you can to highlight this fact to promote much-needed tourists to return and also remember that the tourist cash has a filter-down effect to those other non-tourist areas that will not receive such immediate aid and attention.

With best regards,

Jeff Pike.

My husbond and I are coming to Kata beach in 4 weeks, and I cant wait!!

Allthough, I must say, this tragedy mages me sick to my stomack, and we are expecting a bit of a different hollyday that we first thought.

First we wanted to cancel oure hotel and stay in "safe Norway". But then we thought again, and came to the conclusion that we will go, will meet the beautyful people in Thailand, and support as we know how to: visit the place and keep their busines intact!

Greetings from Norway,

Kristine

Wiki's Web

We are going to Ko Lanta, but gettingh there will be a problem. Our flight to Phuket was canceled, boats are not runing,... Maybe Krabi, via Bangkok

When will you return?

-----

Everyone sitting at home, watching your cynical idea of a ratings war, is putting their hands in their pockets and doing what is right.

Bring on more news coverage.

We'll argue wether it's accurate coverage later!

Everyone sitting at home, watching your cynical idea of a ratings war, is putting their hands in their pockets and doing what is right.

Bring on more news coverage.

We'll argue wether it's accurate coverage later!

There is no argument to be had. Regarding Phuket, the coverage is inaccurate and un-balanced, period. Having worked for a major news channel in the past, I'm as aware as many that there is a producer sat in a gallery somewhere chasing headlines and hopefully an award or two somewhere down the line. It is sadly not enough these days to simply reflect events, you must 'make' the news.

The major news channels naturally monitor each other but you're not going to secure a good budget for next year unless you pull something out of the hat, y'know, the odd scoop here and there, this can set off a chain reaction as they then try to trump each other... Sure it's making people put their hands in their pockets and that is fantastic but is it all factual NEWS? I don't think it is.

When will you return?

I should have been staying with my family at Kamala Bay Phuket on 26th December when the Tsunami struck. However, I had Libyan visa problems so I was not able to get my Christmas leave. I worked on the Kamala Beach Resort a few years ago so I was hoping to stay there, and see a few friends.

Fortunately I was not able to get leave at that time so I am still here.

However, I shall definitely be going there next month to support the local people by spending my vacation there.

I also went to Thailand for the first time in October/November '04 for the first time. And fell in love with the place. I am almost all booked up to come back in mid-march.

Abit off topic but can anyone tell me roughly the price for a return air ticket from Bangkok to Phuket in Baht?

Thanks

Hi Today, on the way from Phuket to Khao lak I passed thru Kalim out side Patong, On the non beach side of the road there were groups of Thai's busy rebuilding the elementary school. ON the ebach side was a destroyed house near the ater. a Magor network was set up filiming.

What do you think they were filming? Made me want to stop and yell at them

Estrada- I live in kamala. You ownt be staying at that hotel before Oct this year. It was really hit bad.

Khao lak is in DESPERATE need of Baby formula/bottles/blankets. I just went up and droped off a car load of stuff.

If you can get stuff up there they need it bad at the abotor office right before Tahku Pa, just past the market on the main road.

3,000 homeless. A whole town destroyed on the water.

Thai Rangers building new temp shelters for them but no idea how long until reflief/aid arrives from Bangkok.

Thaksin has refused to accept international aid, ( WHY?)

but also has not sent any local ihelp/aid down here at all.

All donations/and relief effort seems to be handled by the local goverment. A pity

Bangkok -Phuket from 2,500-5,000 baht depending on the airline