10 Year Tourist Visa - Usa

Hi,

My wife currently has her green card, it was a conditional green card and is set to expire in March. We moved back to Thailand so we need to give it back and apply for a 10 year tourist visa. Can someone tell me or point me to a link that has information on what I need to do such as where to make the appointment and what forms need to be filled out. I recall something about if my wife and I are currently living in Thailand, the procedure is different than if I were living in the US and she was living in Thailand. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brett

Hi,

My wife currently has her green card, it was a conditional green card and is set to expire in March. We moved back to Thailand so we need to give it back and apply for a 10 year tourist visa. Can someone tell me or point me to a link that has information on what I need to do such as where to make the appointment and what forms need to be filled out. I recall something about if my wife and I are currently living in Thailand, the procedure is different than if I were living in the US and she was living in Thailand. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brett

Brett

First off, do a google for: I-407

That's the USCIS (formerly (INS) form that's used to "abandon PRA status." Lots of www sites will popup with the procedure.

More info here:

ABANDONMENT OF LAWFUL PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS (I-407)

If you wish to abandon your permanent residence and relinquish your Permanent Resident Card popularly known as "Green Card", please download and print the attached form and complete the relevant items.

FORMS

You will need to complete the Form I-407, "Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status".

SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION

Please return the following three items along with Form I-407:

Completed I-407

Your Permanent Resident Card

Reentry Permit [if available]

You can submit the duly completed Form I-407 and other attachments to this Office or to a Consular Officer authorized to accept such documentation. Walk-ins are accommodated from 09:00 a.m. to 12 noon on any business day [Monday through Friday].

You should keep a copy of the completed I-407 in your passport whenever you travel to the United States.

Once the I-407 is completed, you will revert to your previous status as a non-immigrant and may apply for admission into the United States in the manner of any other person of common nationality.

Abandoning your Permanent Resident Card and status does not affect your ability to apply to immigrate to the United States at some future time. However, you will have to begin the process anew and apply through the usual application process.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You'll go down to the embassy on Wireless Road, American Services Section, I'd bet, even tho your wife's a PRA. Bet that's where it'd be handled. Walk-ins are allowed but if it's a busy morning, day, you might not get to the window to do the deed.

Note that the embassy now pretty much "requires" that an appointment be made, see this:

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service.html

AMERICAN CITIZENS SERVICES - BANGKOK

In order to serve you better, the American Citizen Services section has introduced an appointment system for all non-emergency services to include notarials, passport services, and Consular Reports of Birth Abroad. We will continue to provide emergency services on an as needed basis.

Appointments can be made online by clicking here. PLEASE NOTE: We will no longer be able to book appointments over the phone. You must use the online system to schedule an appointment with American Citizen Services.

The purpose of the appointment system is to cut wait times for services and allow us to provide you with better service as demand for our services continues to grow. When you arrive at our waiting room, there is no need to take a number, just check-in at Window A and give our staff a copy of your appointment number. As we transition to the new appointment system, we will continue to accept walk-ins, but will give priority to those who made appointments online.

Thank you for your understanding as we work to provide you with a higher standard of service.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

After this you'll then do the process for a normal B1/B2 tourist visa.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

One suggestion here, you might phone the embassy 02-205-4000, and ask for the US CIS office, which is also located in Bangkok. It is possible that CIS might be the office to process the form I-407, since it's their form to begin with.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/embassy/usgmain/uscis.html

- CONTACT INFORMATION -

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

Address: Sindhorn Building

Tower 2, 15th Floor

130-132 Wireless Road

Bangkok 10330, THAILAND

Tel.: 02-205-5352/5382 (within Thailand)

Tel.: 011-662-205-5352 (from the United States)

Email: [email protected]

The Bangkok Office is located next door to the U.S. Embassy, Tower 2, 15th Floor, Sindhorn Tower Building. Pay parking and access for individuals with special needs is available.

The office is open to the public Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 11:30am and from 12:30pm to 3:00pm. We are closed on Thai and American holidays.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mac