Driving To Nan

Puwa

Thanks Paagai. Sounds like you know the route well. I drive down to Denchai often, but usually go south to Uttaradit from there. What's the road like and how much time should I budget from Denchai to Nan? By car, not bike.

Thanks Paagai. Sounds like you know the route well. I drive down to Denchai often, but usually go south to Uttaradit from there. What's the road like and how much time should I budget from Denchai to Nan? By car, not bike.

I'd say it is a couple of hours from Denchai to Nan. Mostly mountain roads from outside of Phrae to Nan

Edited by Ajarn

I'd say it is a couple of hours from Denchai to Nan. Mostly mountain roads from outside of Phrae to Nan

Thanks for the reply Ajarn. 2 hrs sounds about right. Maybe I'll come back on the scenic route through Phayao.

Thanks for the reply Ajarn. 2 hrs sounds about right. Maybe I'll come back on the scenic route through Phayao.

Overall, that route is about 2 hours longer then Denchai, in my experience.

We drive this route all the time. Takes me 4 hours to Nan from Chiang Mai and it takes my wife 5; she drives slower and probably more carefully. We always use the Lamapng-Denchai-Wiang Sa routing. The high mountain road from Phayao is very scenic but can get dicey in places depending on the state of road repairs.

Edited by Fore Man

The road from Denchai past Phrae up almost to Rong Kwang is a good highway but then as Ajarn says, its mountain roads to Wang Sa and a bit more OK to Nan city. CM to Nan can be done in little over three hours if you drive like the crazier Thais, I would say four is more realistic driving safely.

Another alternative from Lampang is to go North on highway 1 to Ngao and then down towards Rong Kwang, about the same distance, but the advantage of highway 1 is not that great since that section is also hilly.

Phayao is also a nice stopover to go eat on the lakefront.