Old Pic Of Cm

gpdjohn

I love old pics of CM. Thank you.

If anyone is interested in old pics, they should visit the small free museum attached to Wat Gate just along from Riverside. There are pics of a public beheading (my favourite), the old kings of Chiang Mai, Dara Rasami and just loads of really interesting snaps of local history. There's a really eclectic mix of junk and old lanna in the room next to the pics; a hidden gem.

There were quite a number of pics of old Chaing Mai at the Old Chiang Mai Cultural Center (a Kantoke dinner and show venue) on Wualai Rd when I last visited there about 4 years ago. Most were from early last century or the 1890's.

I do not have classic pictures, but I do have some "old" ones. So who can identify the spot from which these were taken? Shown in the order of the following list:

1. CNX #4004 1967
  2. CNX #4005 1967
  3. CNX013 1974
  4. CNX052 1975
  5. CNX053 1975

No challenge to identifying CNX #4018 (also 1967).

post-51749-1234140306_thumb.jpg

post-51749-1234140345_thumb.jpg

post-51749-1234140402_thumb.jpg

post-51749-1234140485_thumb.jpg

post-51749-1234140542_thumb.jpg

post-51749-1234140783_thumb.jpg

Edited by noise

It doesn't look like the metal bridge near Nawarat. On some maps, New Bridge. I did a google search but I didn't find this picture.

Can you search for other pictures with a picture? (Technical question).

I wish I could.

I just use the advanced image search. I include some words. I rule out others.

I use the content types/size/filetypes/coloration functions.

Sometimes I'm lucky, sometimes I'm not.

I couldn't find this one. It didn't seem too difficult since there are not so many bridges in Chiang mai. I drew a blank (This month, I can't afford to waste 2 hours either)

Now can someone tell me which bridge is it?

So who can identify the spot from which these were taken? Shown in the order of the following list:

1. CNX #4004 1967
  2. CNX #4005 1967
  3. CNX013 1974
  4. CNX052 1975
  5. CNX053 1975

OK, I will admit I can't remember where I was when I took 1-5 and was really hoping for some help. Thus the challenge to identify the locations.

#3 could be either from south of the south or inside the north moat looking "west" as I see a faint outline of Doi Sutep.

I am pretty sure #4 is taken on the south moat east of the Chiangmai Gate looking west toward Doi Sutep.

I would guess #5 is the north west corner since Doi Sutep is in the back ground. The fortifications look right for that corner.

I attached a picture I took down a small, typical (for then) residential street because I was so impressed at how clean it was compared to down south.

And I attached another bridge picture for the bridge people.

post-51749-1234226314_thumb.jpg

post-51749-1234226351_thumb.jpg

You may find this of interest (this week's Chiang Mai Mail):

http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/current/artmusic.shtml#hd2

I think most people will find this not interesting. And find it spam that has nothing to do with old Chiang Mai, GDP John's, or Noise's pix.

Noise, as for Pic #1, I'm betting it's Moonmuang Rd. Just N. of Thapae Gate. You're actually on the side where the Rydges Amora now stands, and looking across at that stand of tall trees that resemble pine trees/ conifers but are actually not related at all (it's the place where tweekers and a few ladyboys hang out at night looking for action). They (the trees) still stand there today, only taller. The rain tree that is on your picture coming from the right, I don't recall being there today.

You may find this of interest (this week's Chiang Mai Mail):

http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/current/artmusic.shtml#hd2

I think most people will find this not interesting. And find it spam that has nothing to do with old Chiang Mai, GDP John's, or Noise's pix.

You may well be right, but I at least was very glad to find the information in the link.

Noise, as for Pic #1, I'm betting it's Moonmuang Rd. Just N. of Thapae Gate. You're actually on the side where the Rydges Amora now stands, and looking across at that stand of tall trees that resemble pine trees/ conifers but are actually not related at all (it's the place where tweekers and a few ladyboys hang out at night looking for action). They (the trees) still stand there today, only taller. The rain tree that is on your picture coming from the right, I don't recall being there today.

I think you are right as I have a hazy recollection that matches. And, if that hazy picture is correct, then I seem to remember the Blue Moon night club somewhere across the moat from that location. But, boy, that was a loooong time ago.

• 1 month later...
It doesn't look like the metal bridge near Nawarat. On some maps, New Bridge. I did a google search but I didn't find this picture.

Can you search for other pictures with a picture? (Technical question).

I wish I could.

Now we can

TinEye Reverse Image Search 0.6</h3>

TinEye is a reverse image search engine. The plugin adds a right-click menu item that allows you to search for an image to find out where it came from, how it is being used, if modified versions of the image exist, or to find higher resolution versions.

Long Description

TinEye is the first image search engine on the web to use image identification technology rather than keywords, metadata or watermarks. When you submit an image to be searched, TinEye creates a unique and compact digital signature or 'fingerprint' for it, then compares this fingerprint to every other image in our index to retrieve matches. TinEye does not typically find similar images; it finds exact matches including those that have been cropped, edited or resized.

Works with:

[*] Firefox: 1.5 – 3.1b3

Edited by MonsieurHulot