Foreign Exchange Currency

As long as its compatible (ie Cirrus, Maestro, Plus etc) you should be able to use any ATM machine. I think (but am not totally sure) the exchange rate is done by your bank at home, as are ATM charges, so it doesn't really matter which machine you use.

As long as its compatible (ie Cirrus, Maestro, Plus etc) you should be able to use any ATM machine. I think (but am not totally sure) the exchange rate is done by your bank at home, as are ATM charges, so it doesn't really matter which machine you use.

make sure that you inform your bank that you are going to be using your ATM card / credit card in Thailand.

I have had many customers that have had their card refused at the machine and have had to ring back to their country to get the card "un-locked"

it is a good safety measure by the bank but a pain in the arse when you can't get any beer tokens out of the ATM!!

Enjoy your trip , Samui is a great place :o

Don't use Siam Commercial, they charge 20 bahts every transaction for a UK debit card.

Bank of Ayudhya was still free last time I used them.

Not sure about the others.

All of them charge 20 baht when i use my Swedish VISA card. But have maximum of 20 000 baht so 40 eurocents on that amount is not to bad, is it? :o

make sure that you inform your bank that you are going to be using your ATM card / credit card in Thailand.

I have had many customers that have had their card refused at the machine and have had to ring back to their country to get the card "un-locked"

Good point. This happened to me once and when I called they said that I hadn't informed them I was going to Thailand so they blocked it. Of course, when this happened I had already been in Thailand using the card multiple times per week since for the previous 6 months. Good to know they are on the ball.

Edited by koheesti

It doesn't always matter if you inform then or not. I knew a couple that was doing a round the world trip, they had notified their bank ahead of time and their card was blocked every single month and every new country. So, inform them but don't be surprised if it still gets blocked.