Msft Internet Explorer Anomaly!

ProThaiExpat

After my computer has been on for a couple of hours or longer and I haven't been using my MSFT Internet Explorer, it turns to sludge and is virtually useless.

If I reboot, it works fine again, most of the time.

I have AIS GPRS and Sierra Wireless Card on my laptop.

I used to think there was a correlation between the counter on my wireless screen and connectivity, but that isn't so, as connection can run from 0 to 100,000 bits, each time variable.

Any clues why rebooting would improve internet explorer performance? My GPRS doesn't seem to be the problem. Connection to the website is reported on the information line at the bottom of the screen but the sludge is in the "waiting for website to respond". The byte counter keeps rolling on during this message and can go well over one million bytes before any response is received, if at all.

Help!!

I'm having a similar problem. I initially put it down to my bad net connections or a typical microsoft glitch.

I've found I can speed up IE by running Ad-aware pro and clearing out the spyware, but don't think this is the real answer to the problem.

I'd like to find a proper solution to this problem too.

NL

Question: - If you shut down Internet Explorer and restart it, does the problem go away. (Try it with a cleardown of the cache before shutting down too).

If that doesn't help - the simplest way to get around problems with IE is to install Firefox.

If the same thing happens with Firefox, then it's a connection issue, not a browser issue. - If it doesn't happen, then it's IE...

Have you got anti-virus, and a firewall installed. (and have you updated and run a virus check recently - the fact that your bandwidth appears to be getting used suggests something else on the PC is using it...)

Edited by bkk_mike

If you suspect that something else is using the bandwidth, then open up the task manager with ctrl-alt-delete and look at the networking tab. Leave the task manager on (minimised) so that it'll continue to monitor the network usage. If anything is using the bandwidth, you'll see it in the graph.

However, I don't think that it's a question of programs using the bandwidth. A gradual deterioration of network performance sounds more like a glitch at a lower level (drivers, hardware, etc.).

Most MS programs, such as IE will always gobble up free memory when left to do so. It doesn't matter if you have 64mb ram, or 512, IE, and Outlook will try to lay claim to it. This is the most annoying thing that MS does imo.

I don't have the problem so much since going to win2k, but with 95/98/me it was a big problem. The only way I could get things right without having to reboot was running memturbo.

I'd suggest running firefox if you keep having memory issues, and be sure to run ad-aware and spybot (both) to make sure there's no spyware stealing bandwidth.

cv

Edited by cdnvic