Marriage, Sinsod, In-laws And 1.5m Baht

travellife

While you very-much appreciate the opportunity offered by your father-in-law, you need to discuss the full details of the proposed petrol-station partnership/company with your financial-adviser, who is unfortunately away trekking in the Sahara at the moment.

When he returns 'x' months later, his view is that you're not currently able to consider such an investment, especially having given such a generous sin-sod recently, which has reduced your ability to make further large investments for the next few years. (Hint Hint !)

If pressed, he further advises that, rather than invest everything in just one country, you should continue to spread your money across other markets & forms of investment. This is particularly because Thailand's recent political instability is viewed overseas as a risk, you personally love everything about the country & feel he is exagerating things, but you are bound to follow his advise, So Sorry.

He also confirms that, with the Thai Baht currently so strong against your home-currency the "xxx", it would be the wrong time to bring in further large sums of money.

And you are worried that your visa won't allow you to carry-on a business here, you respect the law almost as much as you respect your new family, and would not wish to upset the Immigration Dept.

If all else fails ... ask your wife's advice, how to handle this situation tactfully, as you don't wish to delay your (previously secret) surprise-plan to take her to 1. Visit your own family in farangland, 2. Have a romantic honeymoon-holiday to Phuket 3. Treat her to a slap-up Full-English Breakfast at the local English-Pub (delete as appropriate).

Eventually you will perhaps be able to announce the arrival of your first child, to the happy grandparents, with regrets about the very-high cost of a good education, which you must now start to save for !

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I reluctantly agreed, being from a western culture where equality is more common (sharing of the wedding costs)."

Since you gave her and her family 1.5m THB in assets, you're trying to convince yourself that the wedding cost 3m THB. Ha!

"I informed her that this will cause undue stress in our relationship if he consistently tries to control any financial decisions we make. He tries to monitor everything...."

You "informed" your wife? Oh, that's really showing her the size of your ball bearings.

"I satisfied my father-in-laws face...But he has done nothing in return to salvage mine."

It's not too late for you to realize that your a$$ is more important than your face. Too, try to salvage some self respect.

When your father-in-law calls again, how about asking him straight up about the return of the sinsod. Show him that you have ball bearings, and you don't have to hide behind your wife.

Not sure what to say or how to say it.

Stay away from any more comingling offunds or what would be an insane investment (major oil companies make a lkoss on petrol - go figure). Under no circumstances mix with the in laws, financially or with their offspring (BIL).

This went badly and I would stop taking these calls. The FIL has clearly designs on getting more rather than doing the right thing and giving most orall of the sin sod back in one way or another.

But I would create a situation and ask the wife to ask father to help with that down payment on a better apartment or something. Money talks and b.s. (...)

Good luck!

Need help

I would like some feedback on the following situation. It has to do with marriage, sinsod and in-laws.

I was recently married and provided 900,000 baht in jewelry to my bride and 600,000 baht in sinsod to the parents. It sounds like a lot (which I agree), but my wife insisted that it was the right thing to do.

She has a very good status job with the government, masters degree from overseas, 30 something, never married, no boyfriends, and she claims that this amount was needed, as determined by her parents. I reluctantly agreed, being from a western culture where equality is more common (sharing of the wedding costs).

I think it all depends on the family, my wifes family paid for the wedding, gave all the sinsod back and in the past 6 years have never asked me for anything, and they are not rich but there morals and values are in the right place. I think it is important to look at the families values.

And my mother in law gets upset when she sees me spending money, I offered to put an a/c unit in her house and she told me if she wanted an a/c she would get one. So the only thiong I do is when we go to her place (500klms away) we will spend a week or so at her house at a time is buy food and I take the kids to the beach or something, and they even give money to help feed all the kids for the day. They have very high morals and values..

and my wife has them also

guess it has to do with the family

I provided the money because I love my wife, and also in part to see how her parents would react. It wasn’t clear if they were really traditional or maybe saw me as a rich foreigner with money to burn (which I burned on the marriage). My wife’s father always talks about money. He probably dreams about it also. I had a concern prior to being married about this obsession and my wife just said that it is part of the culture and he will stop after we get married. Well, he still calls about four times a week, asking about what we did and how much we spent. I informed her that this will cause undue stress in our relationship if he consistently tries to control any financial decisions we make. He tries to monitor everything. He mentioned that I should invest in a business, like a gas station, with his son.

My wife said the sinsod is just part of the tradition and her parents would return it. Prior to the marriage she said that her father has enough money and will help us live a nice life. Well, it’s been several month and we currently live in an older rented studio condo and the parents haven’t said anything. It’s not the most convenient way to live as a married couple. It is more common in my home country to use a good portion of the money as a down-payment on a house. I come from an Asian background, so I have some understanding of face. I satisfied my father-in-laws face by providing a lot of my savings for the marriage. But he has done nothing in return to salvage mine.

I read about the Thai ‘ego’ and the need to satisfy it. Her father lives in a nice house (probably worth 12 million baht or more). But her sister lives in a very old townhome which was bought for a few hundred thousand baht some years ago. It’s strange to see the contrast in living. Her sister has children and from a western standpoint, the living standard would be considered near poverty.

Am I trying to analyze her family’s intention too much, or should I just accept it as Thai culture?

At todays exchange rates, you've paid $42,205 or 29,738 GBP. I don't care where your from, absolutely no woman is worth that much dosh. (Just ask Paul McCartney) I've heard all the Hu Ha about the brides family returning it, but I have yet to see it happen.

From the other things you've mentioned, it sounds like they took you for one hel_l of a ride.

The bright side is that the price of gold is high at the moment. Sell it while you can recoup at least some of your money. If the wife B I itches to much, get rid of her too ASAP before you earn some real money & she takes half of that as well.

That's our opinion, we welcome yours.

Really? I know rich Thai and Thai Chinese parents who've demanded over 1.5m without returning it. I've known a similar number of parents in the same position who refuse it altogether.

I've known parents with a fairly simple life (i.e 2m baht upcountry house, car, job, little land) who take it to show face to attendees and then return it (with the gold), as my wife's did, straight away. Wife then sends then a couple of thousand if and when they need it.

Judge your in-laws, communicate with your wife, find out what to expect before you pay out huge sums of money. When young people marry the money/gold is much-needed to get on the first rung of married life and any Thai parents with some humility, rich or poor, will understand that.

I paid no sinsod but instead brought my wifes mum & dad to the UK for our wedding. When I asked my wife about her dad losing face because I didn't pay a sinsod she said and I quote "Your joking? The fact that their daughters husband flew them to the UK for the wedding and a holiday and paid for everything meant more them than a cash sinsod and people would respect her family more because their daughter has a good farang who will look after their daughter" So it seems that while it may be about face, it's not always about money.

I believe that the tradition in the UK is for the father of the bride to pay for the wedding. Looks like your Thai in laws and wife lost some serious face amongst your friends and family in the UK.

I'd like to know how a "thirty-something" woman convinces a guy that she's never had a boyfriend. The OP is as sharp as the leading edge of a bowling ball. I'm sure that she explained her missing virginity by a horrible softball accident where the bat got lodged in a bodily orifice. I'm sure that she explained that her tattoos did not indicate that she was a bargirl - they were historic Buddhist symbols, including the "FCK, the only thing that is missing is U" tattoo. I'm sure that she explained her extended hours in a bar by mentioning that she was working on her graduate research paper for her cultural anthropology course, "The Drinking Habits of Middle-Aged Farangs".

I paid no sinsod but instead brought my wifes mum & dad to the UK for our wedding. When I asked my wife about her dad losing face because I didn't pay a sinsod she said and I quote "Your joking? The fact that their daughters husband flew them to the UK for the wedding and a holiday and paid for everything meant more them than a cash sinsod and people would respect her family more because their daughter has a good farang who will look after their daughter" So it seems that while it may be about face, it's not always about money.

I believe that the tradition in the UK is for the father of the bride to pay for the wedding. Looks like your Thai in laws and wife lost some serious face amongst your friends and family in the UK.

Quite the opposite, while it is custom for the father of the bride to pay for the wedding, that's not always possible and my wife and her family lost no face amongst my friends and family.

Need help

I would like some feedback on the following situation. It has to do with marriage, sinsod and in-laws.

I was recently married and provided 900,000 baht in jewelry to my bride and 600,000 baht in sinsod to the parents. It sounds like a lot (which I agree), but my wife insisted that it was the right thing to do.

She has a very good status job with the government, masters degree from overseas, 30 something, never married, no boyfriends, and she claims that this amount was needed, as determined by her parents. I reluctantly agreed, being from a western culture where equality is more common (sharing of the wedding costs).

I provided the money because I love my wife, and also in part to see how her parents would react. It wasn’t clear if they were really traditional or maybe saw me as a rich foreigner with money to burn (which I burned on the marriage). My wife’s father always talks about money. He probably dreams about it also. I had a concern prior to being married about this obsession and my wife just said that it is part of the culture and he will stop after we get married. Well, he still calls about four times a week, asking about what we did and how much we spent. I informed her that this will cause undue stress in our relationship if he consistently tries to control any financial decisions we make. He tries to monitor everything. He mentioned that I should invest in a business, like a gas station, with his son.

My wife said the sinsod is just part of the tradition and her parents would return it. Prior to the marriage she said that her father has enough money and will help us live a nice life. Well, it’s been several month and we currently live in an older rented studio condo and the parents haven’t said anything. It’s not the most convenient way to live as a married couple. It is more common in my home country to use a good portion of the money as a down-payment on a house. I come from an Asian background, so I have some understanding of face. I satisfied my father-in-laws face by providing a lot of my savings for the marriage. But he has done nothing in return to salvage mine.

I read about the Thai ‘ego’ and the need to satisfy it. Her father lives in a nice house (probably worth 12 million baht or more). But her sister lives in a very old townhome which was bought for a few hundred thousand baht some years ago. It’s strange to see the contrast in living. Her sister has children and from a western standpoint, the living standard would be considered near poverty.

Am I trying to analyze her family’s intention too much, or should I just accept it as Thai culture?

Met my wife in the states, she has a BS in English from Thailand, an MA from the USA... I was her first boy friend, she was 23 when we got married.... I did not pay a single cent in sinsod, and I never will.

My current evaluation of the situation is to be cautious with any future investment into Thailand. I was expecting her father to provide the sinsod back so we can put a downpayment on a house. Currently, purchasing a house is difficult. I can confront my father-in-law directly, but it would be difficult to assess his true intentions long term. I understand that he may be cautious since I am a foreigner. But his reluctance to return the sinsod given his status seems a bit strange.

I also have to say that he added a prenumptual agreement to the marriage application. It was hand written on a piece of paper and I was made aware of it at the amphur (last minute). Before we were married my wife indicated that a prenumptual was not needed since any assets prior to marriage are seperate. But he included her bank accounts and the car she drives. I don't believe this adds any more protection, so it seems somewhat strange. Some countries include interest or gains on assets prior to marriage, and the interest and gains become part of joint income, but I don't believe it applies to Thailand.

There's no reason why you should be in the dark on whether the sinsod will be returned or not (and the reasons behind such a decision)... as your wife would know 100% whether it would or wouldn't be and most importantly WHY. Exceptions perhaps would be an estranged daughter or step-daughter. Otherwise, it's not something parents would keep their own child in the dark about.

:o

Edited by Heng

I also have to say that he added a prenumptual agreement to the marriage application. It was hand written on a piece of paper and I was made aware of it at the amphur (last minute). Before we were married my wife indicated that a prenumptual was not needed since any assets prior to marriage are seperate. But he included her bank accounts and the car she drives. I don't believe this adds any more protection, so it seems somewhat strange. Some countries include interest or gains on assets prior to marriage, and the interest and gains become part of joint income, but I don't believe it applies to Thailand.

Maybe Heng can help us out on this one. My understanding is that if a building is owned the building remains a pre marriage asset but the rents become joint property. Would interest on bank accounts and appreciation of stocks be joint property also? Or was the accountant that told me the rents were joint property full of baloney?

Well, ever noticed how indian arranged marriages worked well ? You think it's because the couples love each other or have terrific sex while hardly talking to each other before wedding?? Nah... it's because they match eachother. Not that we match particulary well, but when you're working over a long term relationship, you should think over the practical details rather deeply... taking a girl that has to support her family and see you like a jackpot ain't gona help you much through tough times( Besides I had a good socioprofessionnal situation when we married, Missus is also a practical kind of girl)

You know there is a saying that arranged marriages actually have a lower divorce rate than people that actually fall in love and dated?

Many elders say marriages should be arranged due to their birth date, horoscopes, status of both families, blood types, etc. Also that if two people live together long enough and start a family they will love each other in the end. I crack up everytime I see those big marriage ceremonies like Tao and Nat or Fluke and Beau with big sinod, even Tata Young and in the end they divorce each other after a year.

Total bull,if you are right what you say its because the woman is scared shitless of leaving due to the many murders in that type of community.

the women are not wives,they are slaves.let get this right

Being an indian myself, i ve seen two things which i'll agree with. One, As of today only 2 in 10 marriages (in my friend circle) have been arranged. Secondly, if an arranged marriage is not working hardly anyone gets to know about it. And that is only because of our community being so unforgiving to divorced couples. Close friends even family members would stop visiting you / asking you if you happen to be a divorcee.

I really dont know if to call it the other side of the coin or decreasing popularity. But surely, tradition and religion cannot be the basis of a successful marriage. In my opinion, trust, understanding and love (in that order) is a lot more important than what previous generation parents / elders consider as the golden ticket to a stunning married life !

I really dont know if to call it the other side of the coin or decreasing popularity. But surely, tradition and religion cannot be the basis of a successful marriage. In my opinion, trust, understanding and love (in that order) is a lot more important than what previous generation parents / elders consider as the golden ticket to a stunning married life !

I understand what you're saying, but my priorities for a successful marriage would be love, respect, trust and understanding. Without ALL FOUR, a marriage won't work. (I was going to leave out understanding thinking it would come with time, but thinking about it realised that if your cultures emphasize entirely different priorities in life, nothing is going to change that and, in time, neither will respect the other because of those different values). I agree that tradition and religion alone cannot be the basis of a successful marriage but - it certainly helps - if either takes their religion seriously!

Sorry, going a bit off topic with this - but the irritation that is expressed about sinsod emphasises the point about 'understanding' different cultures and the way they view others.

TROLL.

GET A LIFE

And if you’re not a troll, your financially ruined pal.

THE DREAM.

You are a middle aged man; she is a wonderful kind cute young girl.

She does not see you for what you are, but as her Knight in shining armour.

She loves you to pieces and wants nothing else but to love you. You are her whole life, her

No 1.

As she melts into your arms, she looks so cute, smells so sweet, her eyes blend into yours, Yes, this time it’s a Hollywood romance come true.

THE REALAITY.

The more money you give her, the more she will perform, do what you wish her to do and say what you want to hear.

You will become completely manipulated into changing your routines and give away your lifeblood without a second thought. Of course you will, don`t want to ruin the relationship, do you?

She is a performing monkey and will do all kinds of tricks, just keep throwing her peanuts and she will be yours until the bag is empty.

WARNING

There are Thai families out there that have made seperating Farangs from their assets into an industry.

English translation of sin-sod is: sod-off.

Edited by sassienie

Sinsod believe it or not is Thai and Chinese tradition. At first I was like what the....! Why can't just two people fall in love and live together and get married. Like the marriage ceremony isn't enough.

Here are two opinions. Chinese tradition (my wife is chinese and is the sole daughter, only brothers no sisters):

1. Sinsod is about face. A good amount of sinsod and a big ceremony gives the parents face that their daughter is marrying up.

2. Sinsod is for the expenses of raising up the girl. Becaue after marriage (in Chinese custom) the girl is to live with the husband and is part of the husband's family now. No longer part of her own family. The sinsod is a one time payment because the girl will no longer have to support her parents. She is supposed to belong to the husband now.

3. Every family wants to have their daughter married up and financially secure. It is suggested the husband has his own home, a business and is finacially stable to support their daughter after marriage. No one wants to have their daugher married into a difficult position. A sinsod is guarantee or insurance money that the husband can support the lady well onto the future and her children.

In some Chinese families they ask an very high sin-sod to scare of the candidate, because he is not wanted to become a member of the family. (happend in my Chinese family). In another cases the sin-sod was originally very high, till they find out that the wedding candidate came from a well respected family and had the potential to have an high career and there was no more talking about sin-sod( happend in my Chinese family also).

And its true that in most cases the sin-sod is given back to the bride as a kind of financial guarantee for her future if things go's wrong.

Its also a fact that the bride first loyalty is her husbands family. Its even happens that when divorce she is persuaded to leave her children with her husband family(happend in my Chinese family also, they paid her off)

Also the youngest son in a Chines family is not regarded as a good candidate to be married with, because the Chinese girls knows that she have to take care of his parents when they get old and need help.

And some Chinese mother in laws are real dragons.

I talked about Chaozchou Chinese who represent 56% of the Chinese in Thailand.

Edited by henryalleman

She is a performing monkey and will do all kinds of tricks, just keep throwing her peanuts and she will be yours until the bag is empty.

How long before your bag is empty ? :o

Look, zip the lip, otherwise I`ll tell my Dad about you.

Actually, it’s amazing how these hard luck story threads attract so many members, including my self.

Like a load of flies feeding on a dead carcass

Edited by sassienie

I'd like to know how a "thirty-something" woman convinces a guy that she's never had a boyfriend. The OP is as sharp as the leading edge of a bowling ball. I'm sure that she explained her missing virginity by a horrible softball accident where the bat got lodged in a bodily orifice. I'm sure that she explained that her tattoos did not indicate that she was a bargirl - they were historic Buddhist symbols, including the "FCK, the only thing that is missing is U" tattoo. I'm sure that she explained her extended hours in a bar by mentioning that she was working on her graduate research paper for her cultural anthropology course, "The Drinking Habits of Middle-Aged Farangs".

I think you spend too much time in Pattaya.

I think you spend too much time in Pattaya.

I think he's spot on. Everyone to their own! :o

I was recently married and provided 900,000 baht in jewelry to my bride and 600,000 baht in sinsod to the parents.

My wife said the sinsod is just part of the tradition and her parents would return it. Well, it's been several month and we currently live in an older rented studio condo and the parents haven't said anything.

...should I just accept it as Thai culture?

Nobody in Thailand would pay B 1.5M for a 30+ over-the-hill old hen like you got...no matter how many overseas degrees she may have; and yes, you should just accept that asking silly money from clueless farangs for the pleasure of bedding their daughters is a part of Thai culture :o

Sinsod believe it or not is Thai and Chinese tradition. At first I was like what the....! Why can't just two people fall in love and live together and get married. Like the marriage ceremony isn't enough.

Here are two opinions. Chinese tradition (my wife is chinese and is the sole daughter, only brothers no sisters):

1. Sinsod is about face. A good amount of sinsod and a big ceremony gives the parents face that their daughter is marrying up.

2. Sinsod is for the expenses of raising up the girl. Becaue after marriage (in Chinese custom) the girl is to live with the husband and is part of the husband's family now. No longer part of her own family. The sinsod is a one time payment because the girl will no longer have to support her parents. She is supposed to belong to the husband now.

3. Every family wants to have their daughter married up and financially secure. It is suggested the husband has his own home, a business and is finacially stable to support their daughter after marriage. No one wants to have their daugher married into a difficult position. A sinsod is guarantee or insurance money that the husband can support the lady well onto the future and her children.

In some Chinese families they ask an very high sin-sod to scare of the candidate, because he is not wanted to become a member of the family. (happend in my Chinese family). In another cases the sin-sod was originally very high, till they find out that the wedding candidate came from a well respected family and had the potential to have an high career and there was no more talking about sin-sod( happend in my Chinese family also).

And its true that in most cases the sin-sod is given back to the bride as a kind of financial guarantee for her future if things go's wrong.

Its also a fact that the bride first loyalty is her husbands family. Its even happens that when divorce she is persuaded to leave her children with her husband family(happend in my Chinese family also, they paid her off)

Also the youngest son in a Chines family is not regarded as a good candidate to be married with, because the Chinese girls knows that she have to take care of his parents when they get old and need help.

And some Chinese mother in laws are real dragons.

I talked about Chaozchou Chinese who represent 56% of the Chinese in Thailand.

I left out something very important

In another cases the sin-sod was originally very high, till they find out that the wedding candidate came from a well respected CHINESE family and had the potential to have an high career and there was no more talking about sin-sod( happend in my Chinese family also).

Nobody in Thailand would pay B 1.5M for a 30+ over-the-hill old hen like you got...no matter how many overseas degrees she may have; and yes, you should just accept that asking silly money from clueless farangs for the pleasure of bedding their daughters is a part of Thai culture :o

Thai tennis hero Paradorn Srichaphan paid how much to former Miss Universe Natalie...?

...not same league, but relativizing your comment...!

Edited by Birdman

It's a fact that the bride first loyalty is her husbands family ??

You're sure about that one ? anyone care to elaborate ?

In your instance you think that if the wife's family was wealthy enough they would sell one of the kids ?? How much did they pay ?