Dvd Player Playing Copied Dvds?

spog

Hello,

I'm buying a new DVD player and the cheapest sony looks like it will do all I want.

They even remove the region coding for you.

However, when I tried to enquire about one in Central, the assistant refused to sell me one, saying that they would not play copied discs.

Very obviously, he was getting better commission from Philips as he kept pushing their stuff. The sony is supposed to support all kinds of discs (including DVD-RW, etc)

But now I am a little worried. Anyone experience problems playing a Pantip disc? Especially in a Sony.

Hello,

I'm buying a new DVD player and the cheapest sony looks like it  will do all I want.

However, when I tried to enquire about one in Central, the assistant refused to sell me one, saying that they would not play copied discs.

Very obviously, he was getting better commission from Philips as he kept pushing their stuff. The sony is supposed to support all kinds of discs (including DVD-RW, etc)

But now I am a little worried. Anyone experience problems playing a Pantip disc? Especially in a Sony.

The discs you get at pantip are 'all region', so will play on any dvd player, regardless of it's region setting. they even play on sony's playstation and that's not a dedicated dvd player. I doubt very much if sony would produce a machine that blocked out pirate copies - if it was posible - because they would not sell a single unit in asia.

That's my thought too.

Funnily enough, I have a PS2 that I use for playing my DVDs on, but it is slowly dying so I want to preserve the life that is left in it for gaming.

Sony DVD players can be modded to ignore region coding and they come that way from the shops. (I have some original discs which are from both regions 1 & 3)

I just can't see how they could stop you from playing a pirate disc, so I am putting it down to yet another assistant after more commission. But once you get the idea in your head, it is hard to shake it out.

Recently got the Sony, one step up from the base-model (includes microphone/karaoke). Also Plays DVD+R/W, which is the more difficult one.

So far it's played anything I fed it. I didn;t even ask about regions, God what a backward idea that was. Maybe I should look into if the player makes a fuss about regions? Don't know how though as everything I come across is all-region anyway, and I'm seriously unlikely to go buy DVDs in Europe or the USA...

Cheers,

Chanchao

Ahah! I'm after the model just below yours. The something-something375.

(I don't like karaoke)

If your's is fine, then mine will be fine. Thanks.

Region coding was a stupid idea. I loathe and despise it as much as the anti-piracy warnings that you have to sit an endure because you cannot skip past them. I legally own original DVDs from 3 different regions, yet I am supposed to buy three different players to play them on. Stuff that.

DVD discs are pretty weird because of all the different features, encryption, and copy protection that can be found on various discs. The result is that no single DVD player can play *all* dvd discs, whether pirated or not. Some do play better than others, but it depends on what you're playing and the model of the player (and sometimes the hardware revision). Many of the cheaper no-name models are actually more compatible than the big-name models. If you can read Thai, this place has a forum that has discussions on model compatiblity with pirated DVDs:

www.thaidvd.net

I agree that the FBI warning is really annoying. I think that it does more harm than good, making more people buy pirated discs.

Edited by Firefoxx

Recently got the Sony, one step up from the base-model (includes microphone/karaoke).  Also Plays DVD+R/W, which is the more difficult one.

So far it's played anything I fed it.  I didn;t even ask about regions, God what a backward idea that was.  Maybe I should look into if the player makes a fuss about regions?  Don't know how though as everything I come across is all-region anyway, and I'm seriously unlikely to go buy DVDs in Europe or the USA...

Cheers,

Chanchao

I've just been told that apparently I do like karaoke and will therefore be buying the same model as you - that's the DVP-K870P, right?

I'm buying a new DVD player and the cheapest sony looks like it  will do all I want.

Dont want to scare you but my brother-in-law bought the top of the line Sony about 18 months ago when he installed a home theater system. He had a heck of a time playing copy-dvds he bought in Bangkok. He got rid of the Sony and bought a Soken and I did the same based on his advice. I have been very happy with it and only occassionally have a brief pixcellation problem.

Bring some of your dvds to the store and they will let you run them thru the machines you are interested in.

Note to Astral-- my Soken still ain't broken. :o

> I've just been told that apparently I do like karaoke and will therefore

> be buying the same model as you - that's the DVP-K870P, right?

:D :D :D !!!! LOL... Scary, that's exactly what happened in my case.. I was also informed that at a mere 500 baht extra for the microphone/karaoke version, this should be a total no-brainer.

So there we have it. :o I looked up a picture of DVP-K870P and I think that's mine, yes. Can check for sure when I get home.

For me the main issue was that my old DVD player didn't play my own home-burnt discs very well, especially not the +RW and VR ones. I indeed took those to the shop to test them.

A copied DVD should have had any copy-protection removed to be able to copy it in the first place, so I can't see this as a problem. I think mostly when copied DVDs don't play it's because they're home-burnt copies and not factory produced DVDs? (And/or mistakes were made when making the copy, like not finalizing the disc, unsupported media, etc, etc.)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Actually I wonder if this concept could be applied to all gadgetry and hardware we'd like to buy... So next time we want to buy this cool MP3 player or a really awesome digital video camera or a laptop computer, we could hint at the fact that it supports karaoke and thus obtain purchase approval from our respective CEOs..

A copied DVD should have had any copy-protection removed to be able to copy it in the first place, so I can't see this as a problem.  I think mostly when copied DVDs don't play it's because they're home-burnt copies and not factory produced DVDs?  (And/or mistakes were made when making the copy, like not finalizing the disc, unsupported media, etc, etc.)

DVD and CD recordable media, as used to burn on home computers, are less reflective than factory pressed discs, so the signal coming off the laser is weaker. This is why there are more compatibilty issues with recordable discs. If you have a problem, it's worth switching to a better or different brand of disc.

:D :D :D !!!! LOL...  Scary, that's exactly what happened in my case..  I was also informed that at a mere 500 baht extra for the microphone/karaoke version, this should be a total no-brainer.

So there we have it. :D  I looked up a picture of DVP-K870P and I think that's mine, yes. Can check for sure when I get home.

For me the main issue was that my old DVD player didn't play my own home-burnt discs very well, especially not the +RW and VR ones.  I indeed took those to the shop to test them. 

A copied DVD should have had any copy-protection removed to be able to copy it in the first place, so I can't see this as a problem.  I think mostly when copied DVDs don't play it's because they're home-burnt copies and not factory produced DVDs?  (And/or mistakes were made when making the copy, like not finalizing the disc, unsupported media, etc, etc.)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Actually I wonder if this concept could be applied to all gadgetry and hardware we'd like to buy...  So next time we want to buy this cool MP3 player or a really awesome digital video camera or a laptop computer, we could hint at the fact that it supports karaoke and thus obtain purchase approval from our respective CEOs..

It's funny cause I always thought that I hated karaoke. I guess I was wrong.

If this model works fine with you, then I'll take the risk. I did review the specs of these models and they appear to support practically every kind of media, so I really was surprised that the assistant was claiming it had a problem.

Most pirated DVDs are made on the same equipment as legal discs (sometimes in the same factory!) With, as you pointed out, the copy protection removed.

I'll take at look at Firefoxx's link. (or get someone to look for me)

I am not sure that this concept would be a good idea for getting purchase approval for new toys. While it would mean that you would get permission a lot easier, it also means that karaoko is available anytime, any place. Just think about that for a while...... :o

Hello,

Sprog,

My experience has been that the high end DVD players Sony, Pioneer,LG etc sometimes wont play copies, pirated,home movies burnt onto disk etc. You are much better off buying a cheaper brand such as Sollux or Soken as these seem to play everything. They generally go for about 2000 baht but you can pick them up for 1500-1600 baht on special at Tesco, Big C or Carfour. Ive had a sollux for over a year now and had no problems. The expensive players seem to have a more sensative laser and you can even have problems playing slightly damaged disks. The safest thing to do is take along a selection of pirated and home made disks to the store and play them in the player you intend to buy before you buy it. Good Luck.

Well, as Chanchao has the same model that I am interested in and it works alright, I should be fine. My other half wants us to be a Sony house, so I am kind of limited in choice.

Besides, I don't like getting cheap stuff, they just don't seem to last.

Just don't mistakenly test out your latest Nong Nat movie at the shop. :o

I am pretty sure that they have an official shop copy for the customers to try. Got to be better than the Van Helsing DVD that some shops offer as a freebie.