Beggars In Chiang Mai Drugged For Spare Chance

george

Drugged for spare chance

Fears grow that the children in beggars' arms are often drugged unconscious in Chiang Mai.

CHIANG MAI: -- Beggars with sleeping children in their arms are a familiar sight on the streets of Thailand's Northern capital. But in a sinister new turn, suspicions are growing that that the children are often drugged into unconsciousness.

Child trafficking suspected

"We have received reports that one of the girls in a male beggar's arms is asleep all the time," says Duan Wongsa, co-ordinator for the Anti-Trafficking Coordination Unit Northern Thailand. "This case may be linked to human trafficking, violations of children's rights, and social problems."

She is calling on relevant government agencies to urgently tackle these problems.

Her agency's investigations have found that the beggars with sleeping children often target tourist spots like the Night Bazaar and walking street.

"It seems they operate as a network because they have always managed to evade officials' arrests," Duan says.

Tourist-season patrols

Mongkol Danwilaipitikul, who heads Chiang Mai social-development and human-security office, admits that there are reports that children might be drugged during their begging rounds.

"We are now trying to gather more information," he says.

He says the number of beggars is usually rises during the tourist high season.

"We plan to patrol the hotspots four or more times each month," Mongkol says, "We want to put an end to street begging. At the very least, we should be able to reduce the number of beggars in Chiang Mai during the Songkran Festival."

He urges members of the public to call his office with any relevant information.

"Please tell us about the physical appearance of the beggars, their regular spots and the time they usually show up."

-- The Nation/Xpress 2009-02-24

children in beggars' arms are often drugged unconscious in Chiang Mai.

suspicions are growing that that the children are often drugged into unconsciousness.

Child trafficking suspected

"We have received reports that one of the girls in a male beggar's arms is asleep all the time," says Duan Wongsa, co-ordinator for the Anti-Trafficking Coordination Unit Northern Thailand. "This case may be linked to human trafficking, violations of children's rights, and social problems."

"It seems they operate as a network because they have always managed to evade officials' arrests," Duan says.

"We are now trying to gather more information," he says.

beggars are not hiding, they are sitting in public places for the most of the day and it's dead easy to meet any of them and to check the mentioned sleeping child. So far there is not proof that kids are drugged or that hey are victims of trafficking. There is no need for the whole alarmistic statement - going for a half an hour walk around chiang mai to check incoming reports would give all the answers

Gee, but wouldn't that take up a lot of those "busy" policemen's time? :o:D

I've stopped giving to the flower kids because very few of them ever go to school. How could they if they are up at 1:30 AM selling flowers? It's all a beggers racket anyway.

There are beggars along Huay Kaew, near Kad Suan Kaew and CM Orchid Hotel, who regularly beg with sleeping babies in their arms. It has occurred to me that these children sleep for VERY long hours and may be drugged.

If the children were not asleep, eg if they were crying, donors would probably give food to the beggar for the kid. Often beggars are much more interested in money than food, for various reasons.

The issue of "trafficking" seems to be a bit of a red herring here. I suspect it has been raised as part of the racist crackdown on minority groups from Burma. The real issue is one of policing, as others have said.

I have seen a drunk man in downtown Chiang Mai kick a boy beggar because he accepted food and drinks from tourists outside the 711. Obviously the kid was supposed to get money for the master. I have also seen a farang guy lead a beggar boy away with him at night in the same area. I have been to the tourist police about both these incidents. They have asked very cursory questions but their lack of interest was obvious. I have also mentioned these occurrences to the farang police helpers, who told me to "ring the number" . What to do?

From what I have seen, Thai policemen are the least observant cops in the world. They regularly walk past beggars, stalls with pirated goods, prostitutes and don't seem to notice. I recommend they undertake some form of re-training cos crime is going on under their noses. I will give them some credit though as I did see them capture a felonious, farang, fag dropper and fine him.

Rumours of drug use. No evidence except a sleeping child someone saw... What crap reporting George.

And if the cops want to get rid of them, they are under their noses...

News flash....george didnt write the news article. :o

Never said he did. Just a comment to him.

A strange time for this article, since the "high season" is over.

The hypothesis that this article is part of some propaganda effort against Burmese, or Hill Tribe people, or non-Thais seems specious.

As several TV members already noted the beggars are in plain sight. I admit to giving to them sometimes, but I usually go and buy (what else ?) some soy-milk to give them rather than give them cash. And, yes, seeing those children out late selling flowers in the Night Bazaar area sometimes disturbs my "jai yen." And knowing there are lots of children hungry in America right now does not set my mind at ease.

regards, ~o:37;

So far there is not proof that kids are drugged or that hey are victims of trafficking. There is no need for the whole alarmistic statement - going for a half an hour walk around chiang mai to check incoming reports would give all the answers

Beggar issues have been on TV for ages and Thai people are asked not to support them. 

There's been some widely publicized that by giving the beggars money we're not helping no one.

http://www.stop-childbegging.org/ 

According to the following link almost all beggars in Chiangmai are Burmese and can be arrested by the authority.

Most of them are arrested many times and still police don't take them seriously.   

Burmesee, Cambodians can enter or leave the country anytime they please and this doesn't help.

At least you can report any beggar activities at the website .  

http://www.stop-childbegging.org/autopage/...=42&d_id=42