Sandwich Cake / Smörgåstårta

Zorne

It´s a Swedish big sandwich. Alot of stuff on it. I have not found any here. Its hrd to make a good one here because of certain things not being availible. If you want to give it a go, you can buy "leverpastej" in bigc and "rostbiff" at angelas in maenam. Remuladsås and rostad lök is stuff you wont find. Aswell as svenska västlusträkor. :o . If you do manage to do a ok smörgåstårta, be sure to invite me, i really miss it also! :D:D .

It´s a Swedish big sandwich. Alot of stuff on it. I have not found any here. Its hrd to make a good one here because of certain things not being availible. If you want to give it a go, you can buy "leverpastej" in bigc and "rostbiff" at angelas in maenam. Remuladsås and rostad lök is stuff you wont find. Aswell as svenska västlusträkor. :o . If you do manage to do a ok smörgåstårta, be sure to invite me, i really miss it also! :D:D .

Ask Casper at Danish restaurant "Baron " across street from Springer.

post-39117-1235796411_thumb.jpg

Looks like a 7/11 birthday cake!?!

Sorry, just kidding, the best smorgasbrod buffet I ever had was at Cafe Opera in Stockholm.

Admiral cafe, in Bangkok, used to make so descent ones for Sunday brunch.

I agree, I had café operas smörgåsbord ones and it is very good. No clue if they still do it.

Where in Bkk is admiral cafe located?

The pics are just the quickest i could find (wikki) and not in any way representing how these things normaly look. They come in many different versions. Normally bigger ones will contain different "sections" on the cake, for instans one half with seafood and one half with beef and so on.

btw is any of you missing this delicacy : Surströmming ?

Nope. Can´t eat it. People in the north eat it as some kind of macho thing. They cover the taste of the rutten fish with onions and other things. However, since they can´t cover the bad smell that comes out of the can, i would never attend such a party. :o .

Nope. Can´t eat it. People in the north eat it as some kind of macho thing. They cover the taste of the rutten fish with onions and other things. However, since they can´t cover the bad smell that comes out of the can, i would never attend such a party. :o .

I have a can in my fridge.

I can come and take the party to you. :D

Edited by PoorSucker

Tackar!

Yeah you're right it's difficult to find all the right "Swedish" ingredients here :D . As you do point out they come in many different variations of flavour and shape. But I do think I can find most of the stuff here and make it taste almost as home. I will have it a go and in maybe I send an invitation your way :D .

A little off topic but where on Samui do you stay btw? You have any idea of how many Swedish or Scandinavian residents there are here on Samui?

Zorne

I have a can in my fridge.

I can come and take the party to you. :D

Please do stay away... far away.... that is not food :D

Haha, that video didnt exactly improve the odds of people coming over for a "Surströmmig" party :o . For a first timer it really smells and tastes that hidious as like the people in the video reacts to it. I aint never eating that again!

It´s a Swedish big sandwich. Alot of stuff on it. I have not found any here. Its hrd to make a good one here because of certain things not being availible. If you want to give it a go, you can buy "leverpastej" in bigc and "rostbiff" at angelas in maenam. Remuladsås and rostad lök is stuff you wont find. Aswell as svenska västlusträkor. :o . If you do manage to do a ok smörgåstårta, be sure to invite me, i really miss it also! :D:wai: .

Tackar!

Yeah you're right it's difficult to find all the right "Swedish" ingredients here :D . As you do point out they come in many different variations of flavour and shape. But I do think I can find most of the stuff here and make it taste almost as home. I will have it a go and in maybe I send an invitation your way :D .

A little off topic but where on Samui do you stay btw? You have any idea of how many Swedish or Scandinavian residents there are here on Samui?

Zorne

Zorne,

There's an excellent little minimart about 200 meters from the old terminal at the airport named M&J Minimart, they got some Swedish food, candy, coffe etc.

Also you can buy Abba's Inlagd Sill at Tops.

If you wanna meet the local Swedes then Soppkoket, Dada Bar and Eldorado Restaurant in Lamai are the places to go.

In Chaweng you got Tre Troll and Sweden Restaurant but not that many "local Swedes" hang out there, but great food.

The Chaweng Swedes are a bit younger than the ones in Lamai and you can often see them at Viking Bar on Soi Green Mango(they are the ones with 200 empty beerbottles in front of them)

How many Swedes there are on the island?

No idea, but I know at least 50 and I'm sure I don't know everyone on the island.

If you manage to make that "Smörgåstårta", I hope you'll keep me in mind... :D

As for the "Surströmming Party" - I'll think I pass on that one. :P

post-39117-1235796411_thumb.jpg

Looks like a 7/11 birthday cake!?!

Sorry, just kidding, the best smorgasbrod buffet I ever had was at Cafe Opera in Stockholm.

Admiral cafe, in Bangkok, used to make so descent ones for Sunday brunch.

I agree, I had café operas smörgåsbord ones and it is very good. No clue if they still do it.

Where in Bkk is admiral cafe located?

The pics are just the quickest i could find (wikki) and not in any way representing how these things normaly look. They come in many different versions. Normally bigger ones will contain different "sections" on the cake, for instans one half with seafood and one half with beef and so on.

Actually, it is (or was?) Admiral Pub (not cafe, sorry), on Sukhumvit soi 20 in front of the main entrance of Rembrandt Hotel.

As far as I remember, the first one was in Pattaya, then they opened in Hua Hin and thereafter in Bangkok.

It´s a Swedish big sandwich. Alot of stuff on it. I have not found any here. Its hrd to make a good one here because of certain things not being availible. If you want to give it a go, you can buy "leverpastej" in bigc and "rostbiff" at angelas in maenam. Remuladsås and rostad lök is stuff you wont find. Aswell as svenska västlusträkor. :o . If you do manage to do a ok smörgåstårta, be sure to invite me, i really miss it also! :D:wai: .

Tackar!

Zorne

I will not miss that invitation, i´ll bring the beers (if im not dead or 7000 km nortwest from here! :D ) I´m in banrak myself.

I heard a figure 2 years ago that Samui had 500 Swedes living here. No clue if it´s true or not, or if its even possible to check it somehow. But there is swedes around for sure.

As somebody else mentioned, be sure to check out m&j minimart near the old airport. She has classics like knäckebröd, kaviar, mjukost, algrens bilar, gott o blandat and so on. And she is fair priced on the stuff considering she have to iport it from the other side of the world. Nice Thailady who stayed 12 years in Leksand and speaks perfect "dalmål" from what a southboy like me can hear, hahaha! Sometimes her husband is there also and he is a nice Swede.