Thai dogs

PREM-R

This may be a bit trivial given the current immigration 'threat' but the people in my village near Khon Kaen keep telling me that if a dog is run over and killed by a passing car then the car driver is liable to pay the dog owner 2000 Baht. These 'maingy' dogs, barely covered with fur it appears are the Thai peoples much loved pets, at least after they are run over.

This story has been told to me by different sources in the village so I am assuming it has some truth to it, it appears that His Majesty The King has taken an interest in the welfare of Thai dogs and this is a new law to protect them.

Given that the Thai dogs seem to have only slightly more road sense than Thai people this could become expensive, expecially as I am told that the registration  numbers of cars that fail to stop after hitting a dog  are being handed to the local police.

Has anyone heard of this or are the locals just 'lifting my leg!' ???

I am not sure whether this is true or not. But the best way is to give the police guy, 200 or 100 Bht and then they will not even remember about this Dog Law or even not realize you hit a Dog.

Money Talks in Thailand and that is all what they want. Even a Dog with a million Bht will be able to get a permanent residency very soon. :o

a monk at the local wat discovered 2 thai men eating his mangy dog and wanted 5000 baht compensation off them (thats monks for you). they claimed the dog was already dead when they found it.i am also near khon kaen and i would imagine what they told you is true.

Similar thing happened to me once in the great state of Alabama. I was driving down the road, when all of a sudden I hit a cat.

Before I knew it a policeman pulled me over, and explained that according to local laws, I had to find the owner of the cat, appologize, and attempt to make restitution.

After several attempts, I found the owners house. A fairly attractive women in her early 30's, who commenced to break down at the news. Not knowing what to do, I reached into my pocket and pulled out what money I had, and handed it to her.

Before I knew it the policeman had me up against the wall, and this time he was aresting me.

Apparently it is not lawful to pay for another's pussy in the great state of Alabama either. :o

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
A Thai Cop in Pattaya told me, that every now and then, they collect as many strays as they can, and throw them to the Crocodiles!!!! Not a lot of people know that.........

No, that's the overstayers.    :o

I think that someone is pulling your leg, My wife is Thai and she is a teacher and she has heard nothing of such a law,and as stated before, with the traffic awareness of both Thai's and dogs I think that a lot of baht worth of dogs must be getting run over daily and I can't understand why more Thais aren't also.

On hiway 21 that runs by our village ,,every day there are numerous flattened fauna and crushed canines,and quite a few thais  also, due to motorbikes getting run over by pickups.  ???