Where's Your Fovorite Foreign Dining Place In Bangkok?

ctira

"American Fried Rice" served at a shag next to an apartment complex doesn't do justice when I want a real, authentic American meal (by the way when did raisins, sausage, and ketchup become U.S. symbols?). Where are good foreign restaurants in Bangkok? I like "Beirut" on Silom road for a casual middle eastern meal. Roadhouse on Surawong road has the "american bar" feels with great tasting food.

Where do you go dine and what dish(es) do you recommend? Suggestions on any type of restaurants are appreciated.

Last time I was in Bangkok I went to the Bull's Head and another bar which was like a sports bar not far from Bull's Head (can't remember the name, but i'm sure people will know) They both do really nice, really big Cheeseburgers, and the chips were good too.

Bull's Head is muck.

The vast majority of Western restaurants in Bangkok are very poor indeed unless you are willing to splurge and go upmarket to Lord Jim's or equivalent.

I ate in the Dubliner recently. Terrible food and extortionate prices, seems to be par for the course in Sukhumvit.

• 1 month later...

"American Fried Rice" served at a shag next to an apartment complex doesn't do justice when I want a real, authentic American meal (by the way when did raisins, sausage, and ketchup become U.S. symbols?).

Since the Vietnam war, for sure, was it Josh came up with the raisins etc? anyone know?

Le Banyan on soi 8 for french <---- By far my fav restaurant in thailand and my 3rd fav french restaurant in Asia

L'Opera Suk soi 39 for Italian (not as good as it used to be)

New york steakhouse in the Marriott for a decent steak.

I used to go to china house for chinese, but the last 2 times i was there the food was not that good, so it's not really worth the trip all the way across town for it.

• Italian - la villa, thonglor soi 9. Italian with great food (fusion asian-european somehow), managed by the guy who used to run the winebar of l'opera. That's where I take my customers
  • French - sukhumvit soi 8, at the end at the back, i think le banyan
  • also Indigo in soi saladaeng, which after a downhill period is catching up, great meat for people who like it "bleu", not US burnt sole style
  • japanese food - Tensui - sukhumvit soi 16
  • American - can this be qualified as food? heard burgers at the entrance of nana plaza are quite tasty
  • North African - if you like coucous, crepe & co on sukhumvit is not bad
  • Cheeza is a bit general and has great menus, good cooked dishes
  • Home anything... I recommend they have a great new website, so easy to order, they have the largest selection of good restaurants in bkk and they are quite good in delivering on time. When we can't be bothered going out, it is a good alternative.

I am sure there are many good ones I can not remember but this is a good first list

French: Le Beaulieu, suk soi 19. In my humble opinion the BEST restaurant in BKK/Thailand, Le Normandie, Oriental Hotel is very good too but too formal for me.

Italian: Giusto, suk. soi 23, Gianni soi Thonson

Seafood: Lord Jim's Oriental Hotel

Swiss: Chesa, suk. soi 20, is pretty good but not special

Casual try Tapas suk. soi 11. Convenient, food ok!

• 1 month later...

I always like the buffet at the Marriott on the river. Get the free boat from Saphan Thaksin pier. Old rice barge takes you to the hotel. Good value for what you get and worth every baht. Food is great and lovely setting. But not for the 100 baht meal seekers :) Take a couple of thousand baht with you. But lovely place and food variety is outstanding

Yum, pity we've already had dinner tonight...I see most of my favourites already here:

French - Indigo, Convent Rd

Romantic dining at a reasonable price - Le Cafe Siam, off Rama III

Brunch and cakes - Kuppa, Suk Soi 16

Where to take a teenager with a big appetite - Coyote, Convent Rd

BBQ ribs - Great American Rib Company, Suk Soi 36

Fancy Thai - Ruen Urai, Surawong

Italian - Antonio's, Suk Soi 31

Chinese:  Shangarila off of Soi Thaniya

Buffet:  Grand Hyatt Erawan

Ribs:  BBQ Sandwich King in Nothanburi

Mexican:  Tacos & Salsa, Suk Soi 18

Italian:  Zanottis, Soi Saladeang