Visa For U.s. Embassy

Hi, I applied for a vacant position at the U.S. embassy here in BKK. I have been working for an American company in Thailand for two years and I have a non-imm extension of stay and a work permit, but I wasn't sure if that was good enough, so I asked

this was their reply;

"Visa/Residency status:

According to Thai law, a diplomatic mission cannot sponsor a foreigner to obtain a work permit. We therefore have to ensure that an applicant (an American citizen or a third country national) has a legal residency status to stay and work in Thailand before we can even consider the person for employment. The State Department issued guidance in employing non-resident applicants as quoted below:

Non-resident applicants must provide appropriate, verifiable documentation with their applications that demonstrate they have the right to live and work in the country where the recruiting post is located. Posts cannot screen the application of the non-resident against the requirements of the position if such documentation is not provided, or the documentation is insufficient to establish the applicant’s right to live and work in country."

Now, thanks to this site, I realize I do not have residency status, so my question is in regards to the second part of their reply; What exact documentation would I need that demonstrates I have the right to live and work here?

any help much appreciated

Permanant Residency or Thai nations???

Don't Permanent Residents still require work permits? If so, doesn't this also exclude PRs?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If The embassy is not able to secure work permits for employees then how do all of the embassy officers from the home country get work permits?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If all work is conducted on "US Soil" inside the embassy, does a work permit even need to be done? Why would an American need a work permit to work "in America".

Would a valid 1 year extension and work permit "demonstrate they have the right to live and work in the country where the recruiting post is located." (even if a new work permit would be needed?)

I think this reg may be written in general for all embassies, but unlike in many other countries where a foreign national can get a "green card" to work. In Thailand one must apply for work permit for every indivual position.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taking all of these things into consideration it seems that the defacto position is no local hires of anything but Thai Nationals

Edited by CWMcMurray

Don't Permanent Residents still require work permits? If so, doesn't this also exclude PRs?

Yes, Permanent Residents still require work permits. However the questions about whether employees working inside an embassy are exempt due to the unique status of embassy "territory" are interesting ones. Perhaps we have a seasoned diplomat in the forum somewhere?

Yes, Permanent Residents still require work permits. However the questions about whether employees working inside an embassy are exempt due to the unique status of embassy "territory" are interesting ones. Perhaps we have a seasoned diplomat in the forum somewhere?

U.S. Embassy personnel, and those AmCits assigned to various sub sections of Embassy affiliated USG organizations do NOT need work permits, even if they are in Thailand in a non-diplomatic status, eg, not on the RTG's "dip list."

Same with IOs (International Organizations).

I was with the U.S. Embassy here (office outside the Embassy compound) for several years in the late '70s and early '80s on both "official" and "diplomatic" passports, but not on the dip list. Circa 1989-'91 with the UNHCR on a regular U.S. blue or tourist passport, same, no work permit required.

Please don't ask me to explain the rules, just remember, TiT.

Mac

post-32650-1236937574_thumb.jpg

U.S. Embassy personnel, and those AmCits assigned to various sub sections of Embassy affiliated USG organizations do NOT need work permits, even if they are in Thailand in a non-diplomatic status, eg, not on the RTG's "dip list."

Mac

So taking thius into account, does that mean that a US Citizen applying for a job at the US embassy in BKK would only need to prove that they are allowed to stay in Thailand?

If so, would a Non -O extension (based upon 400,000 thb in the bank - listed this option becuase this would not require income or sponsorship of a company for visa) be sufficient toprove the right to stay in Thailand. Also, this type of visa does not prohibit working..

-or-

A US Citizen with PR (proven residency and not prohibted from working in Thailand)

For both of the above if no work permit is needed then no need for the US Embassy to sponsor. Also the visa status is completely independant of employment with Embasy

Any State Department Career folks out ther who could advise?

I have thought about taking the FSOT here in Bangkok....

I know the local hires are a very different thing than becoming an FSO, but I am courious non the less.

So taking thius into account, does that mean that a US Citizen applying for a job at the US embassy in BKK would only need to prove that they are allowed to stay in Thailand?

One addition...

...only need to prove that they are allowed to stay in Thailand independ of the job at the embassy and not prohibitted from working?

One addition...

...only need to prove that they are allowed to stay in Thailand independ of the job at the embassy and not prohibitted from working?

My understanding of the Embassy's rule for local hire AmCits is that they must be in a Permanent Residency status.

Don't know about the work permit rules on the Thai side, never had one, but perhaps PRs can get a work permit without embassy support?

Call over and ask for the personnel office, switchboard: 02-205-4000 Ask them.

Mac

thanks for info, I'm going to call

Please give us an update after speaking with them.

Can you advise if Language will be an issue? I remeber taking a look at the "Job Postings" outside the embassy a couple of years ago while I was waiting in Line. If I remember correctly, all the local hire positions had a statement that the the applicant must be be able to Speak, Read and write in both Thai and English.

Not sure of the position you want to apply for or if this is still the case.