Cobra In The Front Garden

sbk

I was sitting there chatting with a friend, my back to the garden, when I hear a thwap thwap thwap sound. My dog Tigger (the one on the right) had found a snake in the small bush at the front of the house, snatched it in her teeth and broken it's back with a quick couple of shakes. Turns out it was a 1 meter long cobra! And this isn't the first time she's gone for a snake and killed it either. My friend says his neighbor's dog kills snakes too.

After hearing stories of the Thai dog at Phangna that is helping to find dead bodies (while searching for her owners), I agree wholeheartedly with the King of Thailand, Thai dogs are clever, loyal and brave dogs worthy of our respect.

shebatigger.sized.jpg

It's the snake I feel that got a raw deal......... :o

j/k Nice Doggy!

Until you step on one! I have had a cobra in my bathroom and a cobra in my kitchen. Not a pleasant encounter, I can tell you. Tigger gets a special treat with her breakfast in the morning for that one!

It's the snake I feel that got a raw deal......... :o

j/k Nice Doggy!

Until you step on one! I have had a cobra in my bathroom and a cobra in my kitchen. Not a pleasant encounter, I can tell you. Tigger gets a special treat with her breakfast in the morning for that one!

Absolutely , I lived in RSA for 8 years as a nipper and caught a few Cobra's as a hobby. But the garden is not a nice place for them to be.

Give Tigger a pat from me.

:D

Had a dog named Bob who used to kill his share of snakes. Sometimes his face would be swollen so bad he couldn't see, cobra spitting. Then oneday when he was about 9, I guess not as fast as he used to be got bit and died a slow and painful death. RIP buddy.

I don't want to be the messenger of woe but if you're fond of your dog I would discourage that kind've behaviour, I know from experience the dog doesn't allways win

As much as I'm sure everyone loves their dogs, I still think most would rather fondly remember the dog than the other way around.

Unless you can convince a mongoose (panpong?) to hang about.

cv

We used to have a "thai" dog called "honda" he was brilliant and totaly fearless, no other dogs would come near the house, I think honda was half wild as no one used to feed him , he just lived of scraps and what he could find(he liked cow food). He often used to hunt lizards and killed his fair share of snakes, unfortunatly he slowed down a bit as he got older and one got him, I've also lost a cow to a snake bite.

Generaly if the snake has any other option it woont bite you but run away if it can, usually its only when they are cornered or supprised they will bite.

Generaly if the snake has any other option it woont bite you but run away if it can, usually its only when they are cornered or supprised they will bite.

A snake with legs? Wow, what do they feed them on out here? :o

A snake with legs? Wow, what do they feed them on out here? :o

Generally I do agree that snakes will normally try to escape rather than being aggressive, although there is one which is ALWAYS aggressive (i got two different thai names for it but none you could find in a dicitionary), I only hope that it is not poisonous, Thais say, they know it - I just wonder if the snake knows that too??

Otherwise we do have our fare share of snakes around, luckily only small ones and most of them not poisonous - no cobras, so far!

We used to have a "thai" dog called "honda" he was brilliant and totaly fearless, no other dogs would come near the house, I think honda was half wild as no one used to feed him , he just lived of scraps and what he could find(he liked cow food). He often used to hunt lizards and killed his fair share of snakes, unfortunatly he slowed down a bit as he got older and one got him, I've also lost a cow to a snake bite.

I have a Thai dog too. Two actually. One of them was "kaw than"(beggar) dog as I call them. We adopted him and he is the most loyal dog I have ever had. He is about 7 and the ruler of the soi(20dogs +). He has now taken on a "motherly" role looking after our new puppy. He can be very vicious which is a problem , to others!

He bit a couple of people and the bin men have to carry sticks to keep him away. I don't blame him for biting them, the things they do to him, stoning etc.

Anyway, found him once having a standoff with a snake. He backed off, so did I. Luckily as a neighbour told me after when describibg the snake that it was a "sam liam" or "Krait". I know from experience(in Nepal anyway) that htese things are deadly. Seems that my dog knows the snakes to mess with and those not to.

My cat was "playing" with a cobra in my garden the other week, stupid moggy... had to resort to the hose pipe to seperate the two...

I hear that cats are much better at killing snakes than dogs.

Best Thing for getting rid of snakes, a parrot that shouts CRIKEY!!!!! in an aussie accent, nignoy

Believe me, I don't encourage this behavior! And fortunately for us, we don't often have cobras. I suspect we are getting them this close to the sea because it has been so dry (no rainy season :o ) that they are coming down looking for water. And yes, I would prefer rats or mice to cobras. Besides, we have another dog that catches and kills mice and rats.

The dog on the right is her sister Sheba.

hi sbk! good on tigger! hope she'll be always so lucky...

one of my dogs, jong (thai deer) also kills everything which is poisonous, like snakes, centipedes or scorpions. she is obsessed with them, once she spots one she barks constantly and circles it, that can take up to an hour (mostly at night :o )), most of the other dogs, esp the german shepherds can't be bothered :D

jongbeach0qd.jpg

Elfe, that is an interesting point. Now that I think about it, Tigger hates bees. She kills every bee she can find. Includes wasps and other nasty bugs too. She is a very protective dog, so perhaps that is part of her guarding "job"?

Edited by sbk

Chico, the snake you are thinking of is the Copperhead Racer. Its a non venomous snake found mostly in the South and Malaysia and due to its aggresive nature is a favourite in snake shows.

Don't make the mistake of thinking this aggression means it will attack anyone for the ###### of it. It won't. It is only aggressive in defence as are all snakes when confronted by humans.

Chico, the snake you are thinking of is the Copperhead Racer. Its a non venomous snake found mostly in the South and Malaysia and due to its aggresive nature is a favourite in snake shows.

Don't make the mistake of thinking this aggression means it will attack anyone for the ###### of it. It won't. It is only aggressive in defence as are all snakes when confronted by humans.

thanks Prof - that makes me enjoy the next beer a little more than before.

I do not hate snakes and I do not underscribe "only a dead snake is a good snake", but by (human?) nature I am afraid of them and would love it if they would just stay away from my (sorry:her) place.

I don't mind snakes, I am not afraid of snakes, spiders or bugs (don't like rodents tho :o ). However, I am afraid of cobras, kraits and vipers. If it is poisonous and deadly and within about a foot of my front door it dies. Simple enough.

these are what are called pariah dogs i.e. native to the area spitz like dogs: in israel they are canaan dogs , there is also.the carolina dog, the dingo, the egyptian pariah, the new guinea howling dog......

once started a thread about pariah dogs and just got stupid anwsers, now finally i get good pics and posts because of a snake....

"We used to have a "thai" dog called "honda" he was brilliant and totaly fearless, no other dogs would come near the house, I think honda was half wild as no one used to feed him , he just lived of scraps and what he could find"and elfe's red dog in pic.....

glad to see pics and tales about them finally, will add these stories to myrna shiboleths' collection (researches the 'pariah dog' around the world, i had added the thai village dog to her list),

elfe your dog looks like my Libby (a ginger coloured canaan dog that guards my goats, hates snakes, and has survived two attempted poisonings by would be thieves )

the thai pariah dog is a breed that fits the shcheme of the proto type dog: spitz like, curled tail, pointed ears, middle size body and bone structure, intelligent, good hunter, adaptive to all situations, able to be domesticated a quality which means that they are a wild (not half wild or feral) dog , not wolf but dog with the gene propensity for being 'tamed' (they are always without fail found around human habitation even if the pickings are slim...)and once tamed or if bred around humans, protective and friendly to those that they should be friendly to....

who was the psoter with the snake crawling up his leg???

I don't need a dog; the wife is very good at snakes. We had a cobra in the kitchen and she got her extra-length broom out and in a couple of minutes had ushered it into a strategically-placed plastic bin bag. (Actually just strategically thrown in that general direction by me.) She then took the bag down to the local swamp and undid it.

We've had all kinds of snakes in and around the house. The worst experience was years ago when our daughter was just 4 or 5 and the wife found her in the kitchen with her hand on a snake - which turned out to be a krait. The only reason we could think of that the snake didn't attack was that she was behind its line of vision. That was the only snake that I've actually known the wife to kill.

All of this in a fairly built-up area of the swamp that is Samut Prakan.

Edited by Tarragona