Airport Transfers In Phuket

on-on

Before the hall monitor crowd kick in with the backseat modding, I have been posting here for years and I did search and I couldn't find current info on this topic - though it's possible nothing's changed from the old info. Thus, my post.

What's the latest deal on getting from the airport to Patong? I've lived and worked in Bangkok for several years and speak enough Thai to get around okay, but I haven't been to Phuket yet, so I remain unprepared for whatever localized version of the airport scam is en vogue at the moment. From what I've read via posts from the last couple of years it sounds like there are airport taxi/limo services that charge a lot of money, vans that charge less and metered taxis that charge a lot. It's really difficult to tell because in one thread some moron starts referring to airport limo taxis as metered and then the whole discussion derails (with him refusing to admit that metered taxis have to have and use meters to be metered, oi). Apparently, one of the options tries the old tour shop scam and forces you to stop at their favorite tour operator's shop to go through the "WHERE YOU STAY?" routine and another of the options will take you to other hotels that pay them a commission and actually won't take you to your hotel (whatever it may be) - if I'm reading all this right. It all sounds like a giant cluster%#@$ and I feel genuinely sorry for you guys who have to deal with this kind of thing living there (though the view there sure looks nice!).

Is my best bet here just to book a hotel and take their airport transfer service and be done with it? Or can I reasonably expect to make it into town without an hour of frustrating sales pitches and paying through the nose to an angry taxi mafioso? Heh. I know it's not going to be as cheap and orderly as Bangkok in the taxi department, but I would like to avoid being completely scammed and annoyed to death after a day of taxis, airports and airlines.

All advice is appreciated, sincerely!

It's not as bad as you think. My experiences have been most pleasant. There are touts and hawkers there, tho not that many as they normally get moved on. As you come out of the exit doors, stride purposefully to the booth which says something like 'taxi meter' or similar on it. You state your destination and PREPAY for your taxi there.

No more to pay. No detours to gem shops etc. Straight to your destination.

If you dont know your exact destination, that's another story.

I'd say patong is reasonably quiet now, so finding a room isnt gonna be hard. Patong is bigger than you may think tho, and toting luggage around in the heat is no fun.

Try booking a room online if you like, it can be cheaper, then either wait for their pick up or just stump up the 450baht and take your own taxi.

450 baht is not an excessive price for a 30 or 40 min journey.

Excellent, guys, thanks for the information. The time and price is something I was curious about as everyone quotes something around 500THB, but no one ever said how long it took. It's an egregious price by Bangkok standards, but, yeah, it's hard to complain about a 40 minute taxi ride running you roughly $14, heh. Cheers.

... As you come out of the exit doors, stride purposefully to the booth which says something like 'taxi meter' or similar on it. You state your destination and PREPAY for your taxi there.

No more to pay. No detours to gem shops etc. Straight to your destination....

I agree that the meter taxi is by far the best option, but I've never been asked to PREPAY the fare. The rate is always "meter + 100 baht". Some time ago, you pre-paid the 100 baht at the booth, but the last time I took the meter taxi (about 2 weeks ago), there was no payment to the booth - only the driver when reaching our home.

The only prepayment scheme I'm aware of is the car "limo" service run by the same gang of undesirables as the minivans. Best to avoid them.

The trip to Patong from the airport in Phuket is almost 1 hour, but it is good to see the sights on the way. There is a place to get a taxi inside the airport that will cost 400 baht to go to your hotel, but they will stop at a travel shop and try to sell you some day trips so that will take about 1 hour. The best thing is to go out the door of the airport and go to the right about 20 yards to the taxi meter kiosk on the sidewalk. It will cost 450 baht to get to Patong, but it will cost about 800 baht to get back to the airport from Patong so ask the people at your hotel to see if they can get a better price. Sometimes they will say a small price, but then they will be late as they know when your flight is so they will get another car at a bigger price. Have a good time in Patong. :o

Cheers!

The trip to Patong from the airport in Phuket is almost 1 hour, but it is good to see the sights on the way. There is a place to get a taxi inside the airport that will cost 400 baht to go to your hotel, but they will stop at a travel shop and try to sell you some day trips so that will take about 1 hour. The best thing is to go out the door of the airport and go to the right about 20 yards to the taxi meter kiosk on the sidewalk. It will cost 450 baht to get to Patong, but it will cost about 800 baht to get back to the airport from Patong so ask the people at your hotel to see if they can get a better price. Sometimes they will say a small price, but then they will be late as they know when your flight is so they will get another car at a bigger price. Have a good time in Patong. :o

Cheers!

Hire a car

Be independant, see Phuket not just Patong,

and then you avoid any ripoffs from taxix and Tuk Tuks.

Hire a car

I'm seeing the sights after the girlfriend arrives and rents a car the next day (I don't have a Thai license). The day before I'm going to relax because I'm working too Goddamn much. I'm plenty independent - I'm going to independently drink and pass out and see the sights the following 3-4 days. I have no intention of staying in Patong after the first night. Assuming all that meets with your approval!

Before the hall monitor crowd kick in with the backseat modding, I have been posting here for years and I did search and I couldn't find current info on this topic - though it's possible nothing's changed from the old info. Thus, my post.

What's the latest deal on getting from the airport to Patong? I've lived and worked in Bangkok for several years and speak enough Thai to get around okay, but I haven't been to Phuket yet, so I remain unprepared for whatever localized version of the airport scam is en vogue at the moment. From what I've read via posts from the last couple of years it sounds like there are airport taxi/limo services that charge a lot of money, vans that charge less and metered taxis that charge a lot. It's really difficult to tell because in one thread some moron starts referring to airport limo taxis as metered and then the whole discussion derails (with him refusing to admit that metered taxis have to have and use meters to be metered, oi). Apparently, one of the options tries the old tour shop scam and forces you to stop at their favorite tour operator's shop to go through the "WHERE YOU STAY?" routine and another of the options will take you to other hotels that pay them a commission and actually won't take you to your hotel (whatever it may be) - if I'm reading all this right. It all sounds like a giant cluster%#@$ and I feel genuinely sorry for you guys who have to deal with this kind of thing living there (though the view there sure looks nice!).

Is my best bet here just to book a hotel and take their airport transfer service and be done with it? Or can I reasonably expect to make it into town without an hour of frustrating sales pitches and paying through the nose to an angry taxi mafioso? Heh. I know it's not going to be as cheap and orderly as Bangkok in the taxi department, but I would like to avoid being completely scammed and annoyed to death after a day of taxis, airports and airlines.

All advice is appreciated, sincerely!

Go outside airport and avoid all the annoying car touts tuk tuk's etc.

Turn right and go to the Taxi meter stand.

Cost 400 baht to Pa tong includes 50 baht booking levy.

You can get his card or go to to tourist office and pre book return car...should be no more than 550 600 baht,includes tip.

Bangkok airport also has taxi meter outside similar system but they run on the meter...never go with Limousines unless you can haggle a decent price...there all greedy scammers.

Hire a car

I'm seeing the sights after the girlfriend arrives and rents a car the next day (I don't have a Thai license). The day before I'm going to relax because I'm working too Goddamn much. I'm plenty independent - I'm going to independently drink and pass out and see the sights the following 3-4 days. I have no intention of staying in Patong after the first night. Assuming all that meets with your approval!

Sorry my spelling slipped

Enjoy yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

I use TaxiMeter every time,

One thing NOT mentioned here is returning to HKT.

Most TaxiMeter drivers are only too willing to do the return trip for you.

Book them there and then, also get their card or phone number to confirm.

I pay them the same as the outward trip, which gives them a tip..... LOL

Using hotel taxis will cost about 200Baht more.

Hire a car

You dont need a Thai licence use your u s one, I take it you are american, you americans always work too much :o

you can get a shared minibus to ur hotel in patong just 150baht.. i noticed a sign sayin thers now a public bus aswel

Can take a long time to get to your hotel by shared minibus. First you have to wait until the minibus is almost full, then the bus has to go all over the place dropping off pax at their hotels, and if you are the last drop... Ohh, I forgot to mention the long stop at some booking agency office, where you are 'encouraged' to buy tours, even change your hotel booking. The public airport bus only goes to Phuket Town.

Edited by LivinginKata

Is there anything like there was years ago - a Thai airways bus that has a bunch of people for say 200 baht each?

There is an Airport Bus run by the government. It leave from the Phuket Town Bus Station to the Airport every hour on the hour. It's cheap and reliable. Going from the airport to Phuket Town is not quite as easy as you have to get yourself and your luggage over to the bus stop.

Forgive the digression here, but I am due to arrive HKT today and need to get to Phuket Town. Are there shared "taxi-vans" for about the same price (THB 150) to Phuket Town, and where exactly IS this "Government BUS" Stop (goes from Airport to Phuket Town Bus Station), in relation to the Airport?

Does one leave, cross the street, is there a marked sign, etc...

Cheers,

HB

Edited by Harley62