Why I'm Still Satisfied To Live Here

I dont know about most of you though but many times and honestly I dont know how many forums I have seen about samui bashing, I am trying to be on more of a positive front with these although my post does involve buying and consumerism and working here to. Anyway here goes

Samui = Choices and lots of them ( bangkok air and thai airways dont count though )

have local thai mini mart / 7-11 or family mart

have local thai grocery / have makro, tesco, big c

can easily go see the beach everyday (can't do that back home, as the nearest beautiful beach is 5 hours away )

I can buy a pirated movie or go see it at tesco

Eating out, everything I have found from 35 baht to 500 plus if you like

Roads are not perfert but they could always be much worse

I at least try to talk with the thai's and smile. and most smile back

Dont speak thai no problem / many thai's can speak english

For renting or buying a house got choices to seen all kinds of prices

Want to go drinking, have lots of places depending on what environment you want from the green mango to tropical murphy's to the Q bar

Massage 3 different kinds on this island ( naughty, the small thai massage place that charges 300 baht, or a spa

You can drive around if you like or been lazy and get a cab ( dont start about the taxi mafia thing not interested in hearing it )

Never truly stuck here can catch a fairy go to the mainland and drive or fly out of samui

Hospitals or Pharmacy at least the island has hospitals be glad for that

Have bookzine always can get a paper in english

anyways I know this forum isn't probably the best but samui isn't the worst place in the world it needs improvement I know but I will still call it home for now

Good positive thinking. But: All the points are not exclusive Samui typical. You can say exactly the same about other tourist beach destinations in SEA. So under that point of view, it doesn't make any difference if you live on Samui or in Phuket...

All the points are not exclusive Samui typical. You can say exactly the same about other tourist beach destinations in SEA.

Or in Taipei for that matter. The beach is a bit more of a drive than here, but pretty much the same comments could be made.

So I'd like to see the original poster come back and say something if not unique to Samui, something particular to this place.

no place is perfect but i feel the same as poster,samui has everything for a westerner that wants some home comforts.also in the s/w part of the island you can find more peace and some isolation if you want it.

Came here for a 1 week holiday from living in pattaya and stayed,now 2 years here.

Something if not unique to Samui ok I can think of some

1. The people here. I know there life isn't easy, but many times I've spoken with thai people here, in the thai language, and most times I get smiles and a thank you

2. The little markets that can be found in some areas even though samui is changing

3. The fact that even though samui constant construction keeps going on, everywhere I go besides chaweng I still see lots of green ( tree's and hills )

4. I'm sure there are other islands to, but here I've run into many koreans, brits, europeans, and mostly people get by here in thai or english.

Things I know samui & Thailand in general needs changing

1. Clean Water

2. Making sure thai people get a real education

3. Actual enforcement of somethings

4. Proper Sewage system, Descent road,

5. How about a actual electric grid thats good quality

6. Change the power lines, there an eyesore, and open exposed

I dont know about most of you though but many times and honestly I dont know how many forums I have seen about samui bashing, I am trying to be on more of a positive front with these although my post does involve buying and consumerism and working here to. Anyway here goes

Samui = Choices and lots of them ( bangkok air and thai airways dont count though )

have local thai mini mart / 7-11 or family mart

have local thai grocery / have makro, tesco, big c

can easily go see the beach everyday (can't do that back home, as the nearest beautiful beach is 5 hours away )

I can buy a pirated movie or go see it at tesco

Eating out, everything I have found from 35 baht to 500 plus if you like

Roads are not perfert but they could always be much worse

I at least try to talk with the thai's and smile. and most smile back

Dont speak thai no problem / many thai's can speak english

For renting or buying a house got choices to seen all kinds of prices

Want to go drinking, have lots of places depending on what environment you want from the green mango to tropical murphy's to the Q bar

Massage 3 different kinds on this island ( naughty, the small thai massage place that charges 300 baht, or a spa

You can drive around if you like or been lazy and get a cab ( dont start about the taxi mafia thing not interested in hearing it )

Never truly stuck here can catch a fairy go to the mainland and drive or fly out of samui

Hospitals or Pharmacy at least the island has hospitals be glad for that

Have bookzine always can get a paper in english

anyways I know this forum isn't probably the best but samui isn't the worst place in the world it needs improvement I know but I will still call it home for now

Enjoy!! An enjoyable place to say the least, but remember the biggest room of all is the room for improvement. :o

Edited by BigSnake

Good positive thinking. But: All the points are not exclusive Samui typical. You can say exactly the same about other tourist beach destinations in SEA. So under that point of view, it doesn't make any difference if you live on Samui or in Phuket...

except Phuket has a bridge

and

Better Roads

a Non - monopoly Airport

a ' half active ' police force

cheaper hotels and Restaurants

more tourists

better public transport

no rip off metre taxi's ( but they do make this up with Tuk Tuk's )

and

Better Roads

a Non - monopoly Airport

a ' half active ' police force

cheaper hotels and Restaurants

more tourists

better public transport

no rip off metre taxi's ( but they do make this up with Tuk Tuk's )

and

no palm forests

beaches characterised by countless sun chairs and umbrellas with costs

much more cars

endless bus loads of Asian package tourists

some hotels/restaurants are cheaper many are more expansive

more expensive trips to other islands

better diving

a more intense high season

a longer low season

a longer rainy season